Tax 2021 (2020 income)

Quite right as next year the same information will be automatically presented to make life easier.

1 Like

Sheer dogged persistance. One year I had an acknowledgement that it was valid and it would be repaid but after several months nothing had appeared in my account, so I went through it all again and received another acknowledgement. More corresepondence and it was finally paid but it was a long time after I had paid it originally.

I wondered why I wasn’t seeing queries regarding the social taxes anymore when there were so many when it was first declared to be repayable. It was obviously because everyone was filling in the 2042C. I’ve now requested they put one at my disposal so I can fill it in correctly.

Thanks for your interest.

I have just completed my 2021 tax declaration and found it quite a bit different from last year for which Isabelle Want’s guide was a big help. It has become quite compicated.

Is there any way of being able to modify it once completed ?

I meant, of course, the one on line…

Yes - not sure of the window but there is a period of several months when you can modify a submission.

Having completed our return today, it seems that there is a bug in the online software to be aware of.

If you see in the left panel that you have an annexe 2041-E
Firstly, note that it only relates to non-residents – so it should not have come up if you are a French resident. If it has and you not a non-resident, then you need to go back in to the Annexes page and uncheck the 2041-E line. Make sure it has been removed and then you will be able to proceed to the end - otherwise you you will find yourself in a deadly embrace with the system which won’t let you leave without providing information you can’t provide. As you progress through the return, make sure that 2041-E remains not listed in the annexes shown in the left pane. If it suddenly reappears then go back to Annexes selection page and uncheck it again.
The bug links to the completion of boxes 8SH and 8SI (S1 holders) on Form 2042 and dates back to the 2020 return (for revenues in 2019) which still seems to be present but doesn’t seem to affect everyone (which makes it difficult to resolve, I guess).
Analysing it, I cant help but think it occurred because I had forgotten to check 8SH and 8SI and went back to do that after which, I am almost certain, the 2041-E appeared in the left panel.

Happiness is handing all the tax forms hassle and any queries to a very competent guy who then sends me a mail saying return submitted and here is what I think you will be charged… all for the cost of a good restaurant meal out for two. If it means forgoing one of those then I’m happy!

Couldn’t agree more.
All this stressing of which box to fill in here and what account to declare there with advise coming from every angle giving layman’s opinions on what I did last year and it was fine----- .
Using a professional is stress free and unlike my experience of the UK experts here are very affordable.
Having previously worked in France for 10 years during which time my particular expertise had to be fully registered and insurance backed and with it I carried the responsibility of my advise and action then beware of perhaps not understanding what you might read and subsequently act on.
I am sure that many who fill in and submit thier own tax return will be fine and it will not a DIY disaster but for me reading the various well intentioned suggestions are best used to gain a general understanding so that I can ask questions to my professional should I need to.

Our highly qualified professional accountant has made two expensive mistakes. And they take no responsibility for errors.

Which is exactly why I made reference to reading what is posted to become aware of how things work and what to ask a professional. I feel sure that the mistakes made by your professional were spotted by you as like most of us it is well worth gaining an understanding of how things work that might affect us and be in a position to cross check.
I would much rather check someone’s work they have done for me rather than do the work myself and submit it unchecked.

Several were, as we check their submissions. Unfortunately one wasn’t that obvious as related to depreciations on the profit and loss account and we missed it as we had not got our heads round depreciations. And of course even if made by the accountant all errors are our responsibility, and there is no come back on the pesky accountant.

Personally I prefer to work out how to do things myself and understand what is going on. Nothing to do with cost, just like to be able to have control of important administrative matters.

(We have to use an accountant to sign off the accounts, if not I wouldn’t bother).

Can we go back to keeping on topic please. If you need a thread on the benefits of using professionals to do your accounts or tax returns, open a new discussion thread.
Thank you.
@cat

I think this is on topic! How you do your accounts is part an parcel of the annual process. If you want a thread that just has your help sheets - which are very good - then lock it.

Agreed

I wish I’d found Isabelle’s useful guide earlier. I got lost on the online website so left a message on the last page giving my (simple) details and then sent in the printed form - which took me about 5 minutes to complete - with a covering letter saying what had happened. Why do they insist on making things so complicated ? Or squeeze so much info into each page. ? BTW I made the exchange rate out as 1.12 according to several websites. I don’t recall ever getting as much as 1.14 last year - it’s barely that now.

I had a similar experience although luckily I spotted the error before submitting my declaration. Now I just take my time and double check everything.

On the question of declaring Revolut accounts, the following reference has been provided by Revolut for information:

Yes (I need to correct mine with the updated Revolut address)
After you log in to your space on the impots.gouv.fr site, it recognises that you have completed your return and presents you with the following page:

and at the bottom is a button « Corriger » which gives you access to correct your submission.

I know I’m being dense but translating last year’s 3916 entries into this year’s format is confusing me. What is Complément d’adresse ?

Second daft question - the on-line system won’t let me put punctuation in the bank account number. Since the only reference on my Paypal account is my email address, I’m wondering what other people put in there…

Would further address / additional address make sense?

I can recommend a website called reverso context because it lets you put in phrases and then gives you the English ( or French) as a phrase in context. Doesn’t always get it absolutely right, but it certainly helps.