Tax 2021 (2020 income)

Who knows whether I do it right, but for the UK rental it’s on the 2047 on line 5/51 and then I just transfer profit over to box 5EZ/5FZ.

French rental is 5NZ/5/OZ

We only got to 18 - You’re the winner so far Jane :laughing:

Can anyone confirm that non -residents completing a tax return for e.g. Gite income do not need to complete forms 3916 for all their UK accounts.

This obligation applies to individuals domiciled in France within the meaning of Article 4 B of the General Tax Code
reference in English.

Hi Graham,
I wrote to the Impots through the messaging service on the 11th and had a reply last night. I asked them what I needed to do do to move on with Interest received page as it wouldn’t allow me to as it was asking for country of origin of the interest. I said I had filled in part 260 2TR with Royaume-Uni and they replied that was all I needed. However, gone back into it today and find that the interest has been put automatically into box 2TR under section 250. Every time I change it to 260, it goes back to 250. I wonder if I have ticked something earlier (can’t see anything) that is causing this to happen. This is on the 2047 annexe.
Then I have another problem with 3916, I have filled in 6 bank accounts (nothing automatically there from last year) and at the end there is a line asking the number of other accounts. I put in zero and am told it must be a poitive number, so I put in 6 only to find that there are another 6 blank forms. I have deleted those but am still stuck on closing the form and going to the end.
I can’t believe the trouble I am having this year as I have completed online for many years now with absolutely no problem.
Sorry to be a pain but asking you is probably quicker than writing to the Impots.
Many thanks for your patience.

2TR is the correct box for interest on savings and the likes of Premium Bond earnings on Form 2042 so that seems right. If there is an issue, they will ask for further information but you could mention your concern in the messaging service to flag it up as a potential issue.

This year the cerfa 3916 and cerfa 3916-bis were combined requiring a re-entry of the data, Next year, the data will be carried forward (they say) and all you should need to do is accept it as confirmation of no changes.

Odd… the request for the number of accounts you are declaring is at the start of the 3916 process. Are you sure it’s not some other request. What happens if you leave it blank (but put the number of accounts in at the start of the 3916 declaration)? I didn’t see a request at the end of the 3916 process on my declaration.

Technology eh!

@Elizabeth_Cox
I’ve just gone through the how to fill in your return pdf and came across this screen:

which is what I think you are referring to. You shoud just click on « suivant »

Still cannot get out of the page for interests after checking box 262 with Royaume-Uni and the amount, it still sends a message box asking for country of origin.

I went back into the 3916 and deleted 6 empty boxes again and directly under the listed bank accounts is this line.
Combien d’autres comptes ou contrats d’assurance-vie hors de France souhaitez-vous déclarer ?

If I type 0 I get this message.“La valeur saisie dans le champ Nombre de comptes ou contrats d’assurance-vie hors de France” n’est pas correcte. Veuillez saisir un nombre entier positif.

Perhaps I am missing something from earlier on. I ticked the box 3916 on the annexes. Is that right? This is getting ridiculous now. Google translate is getting as bog-eyed as I am.

Can I demand a paper copy at this late stage do you think.

Yes, I do that.

Thanks

Yes it is

At the end there shouldn’t be anything other to declare after you have declared all the accounts you have numbered in the first screen. You just press « suivant » to move on.

Did you look through the how to fill in your tax return pdf here where it takes you through step by step.

I have an exceptional one-off payment I received into my UK bank last year and I am not sure if/how to enter it on our impots declaration. I am pretty sure I need to declare it, so how? It is a PPI payment, obtained by a claims company, and it is as a result of a Barclaycard account I had 30 years ago. The claims company took their share, so I got a ‘net’ figure.
Can I use the ‘quotient’ way of entering it?
I have this reservation about whether it should be declared: I had already paid tax in UK on the money with which I ‘bought’ this PPI , hence my uncertainty. Is it really a bit like someone repaying a loan you gave them?

interesting one… not a clue! was it withholding tax (ie you were already in France when it was paid) in which event the tax should perhaps be recovered from HMRC?
If it is declared (somewhere) then ensure you counter it with a declaration about the tax paid.
It also related to your time in UK before coming to France (presumably) so…

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Elizabeth. I’ve declared effortlessly online for probably 8 years, but this year it is giving me (more) palpitations.

Thx Graham. I don’t really understand what ‘withholding tax’ means, but I did encounter that term while reading elsewhere. The payment was received last year; we’ve lived here permanently since jan 2006. The PPI I paid covered the period 1977-84 and it is that that was recovered for me. I will put in the net amount but I’ve got no idea where to put it.

withholding tax:

same principle as the treatment of interest… as for where - perhaps:

Page 19 of Isabelle’s guide further up. If you paid tax in the UK, perhaps you shouldn’t have (if you filled in Form France-Individual) and you should claim it back from HMRC. The Grench fisc are probably not interested in the UK tax you paid as it is outside the terms of the double taxation treaty (I guess) and you should get it back anyway.

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I am trying to fill in my tax declaration and have a few questions but I wonder if it would be better to engage the assistance of John Strudwick’s professional if it only costs the price of a good meal out. The cheapest I have seen is 250 euro plus TVA which seems a bit excessive just to tell me which boxes to fill in. Does anyone know of a professional who simply charges for what they do rather than a set figure? Thank you.

You need to tag @strudball (which I have done for you) and hopefully he will see your post and respond.
There are many here who have already done their return and if your situation is not too complex maybe able to help. Are you doing a paper return or one on line and have your seen the help sheets higher up at post #28 which walk you through the process. You can see them here

1 Like

Just want to say, I’ve been so impressed with the help people have been given on this thread, especially from @graham. The ongoing courtesy and willingness to keep covering the same ground, has been just great.

4 Likes

Thanks @SuePJ it just goes to prove the usefulness of the decision by @james and @cat to move forward with the #stayontopic tag which has been most useful in this case and kept the noise to a minimum.

1 Like