Tax for buying a car

I’m fairly positive, from the wording … that Mark is talking about France… :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Mark. That’s a useful, comprehensive description.

I write this on behalf of a friend (no, really) who’s having in a bit of difficulty registering a classic (over 30 years old) he bought here about five years ago. He bought it somewhere in the Southwest from some sort of eccentric dealer who hadn’t bothered to register the car in his name or do any dealery type things. So the CG is in the previous owners name and the name on the receipt and the name on the CG don’t match. We’ve tried to get a CG a few times ,pre and post the online system, to no avail. Does he have anyway of becoming legit?

1 Like

We bought a near new car from a dealer in January this year. It was advertised at 11 990 €. We then obtained a firm quotation, (Devis), which added:
Carte Gris SIV 210.76 €
Carburant 30 € (filling up with fuel)
Dossier 100 € (their admin and paperwork)
Total TTC 11 830.76 €

You got away lightly John. I bought a new car here three years ago and the CG cost me thousands, if I remember correctly. And all over some particles per million business :wink:

Is he trying to register it as a VdC with a certificate from FFVE? When I registered a car that way one huge advantage of the system was that there is no requirement for there to be a complete paper trail between owners or for the car to have been registered in the seller’s name.

It could be very difficult.
If the person whose name is on the carte grise did the sale correctly then they would have used the old 3 part certificat de cession which would have been in use. One of the copies (which will have the buyer’s address on it) would have been sent to the prefecture so the system knows who will be applying for the new CT. If an application is made by someone other than that person the sale will be rejected. There is a slightly different procedure for motor traders but there is still a paper trail.
Under the new system the seller logs the buyer’s details online & gets a “code de cession” which is passed to the buyer to use when they register the purchase online.

Unfortunately a carte grise & registration number already exist for your friends car, either in the old FNI format or, post 2009, in SIV format. If the car has the old FNI registration, was not sold to the dealer after 2009 & has not been classed as a collection car by the FFVE already it might be possible to go that route, but as you have already tried I would guess that it does not qualify.

That’s what I thought but the first sentence suggested it was about buying cars in the U.K. My concern is that although French garages can ‘hold’ cars between registered owners U.K. garages do not have access to that system.

I know someone who has been driving around in car registered to the previous owner for years, he didn’t or couldn’t get it registered to him.

That’s what my pal is doing. It’s not his daily transport but he does use it a couple of times a week.

when someone is driving any vehicle… I think perhaps Insurance is the most important aspect to get right…

Yes, CG and CT… but in the event of causing a fatal accident… the driver might well have to fork out a huge sum… and without insurance… mmm… ooops.

I would say vital to be honest… One good thing about the UK and their intolerance to no insurance - the car gets seized and crushed :oncoming_automobile: :foot:

The driver who does kills someone and does not have Insurance… will be hounded down through the generations… so that the money paid out on his/her behalf by Insurers/Special Fund (call it what you will) … monies awarded to the victim … will be recovered from the driver and his/her heirs if necessary…

EDITED to show I am talking about France…

1 Like

Yes stella. The debt doesn’t die with you in France…

1 Like

what happens to the debt in UK… does the driver escape the financial implications ??

I’m sure this is English law stella…

If you die and have no estate, then your debts die with you as they cannot be repaid. Your relatives do not have to pay off your debts unless they have provided personal guarantees for those debts

but a creditor has but a few months in which to register a claim against the estate after which it is lost…

Well, in the case of “death by driver” … it’s not like that here… so driver beware… :wink: :dizzy_face:

Wow you lot, this has got dark. Anyone see ‘Happy Death Day’ last night?

Ha ha… Sorry… it’s just that Insurance is so very, very important… and folk are sometimes so silly… :upside_down_face: :crazy_face: :wink:

sunshine, lollipops and roses… etc… all is well with the world… :wink: :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

1 Like

He he. My recent insurers just sent me 29 for making an error and sending details to the wrong address. Cheers.

that’s fair enough… everyone can make a mistake… it’s how one deals with it… that’s what counts… :hugs: