Taxe d'Habitation/Audiovisuel - change in exemptions?

I haven’t been liable for TdH/Audiovisuel since turning 60, and being below the income threshhold. I never normally receive any demands for them. Which is the reason I thought it was very strange that they suddenly appeared.

TdH exemptions apply over the age of 60 and below a certain income, but I believe it’s gradually being phased out altogether.

I visited the tax office this morning. I have to say that the ladies in our local tax office are not the most friendly or helpful, unlike most others elsewhere.

I was told that the demands are genuine, and that whatever it says on the gouv.fr website is wrong. The bills are payable because a tiny increase in my earnings has pushed our income just over the top by a few euros, for the first time in years. I suppose I shouldn’t complain about that. :slight_smile:

I asked why the amount on the demand was not shown on the gouv.fr website, and was told that it was a ‘supplement’ and that I had to pay it. She folded the papers up and handed them back to indicate that our discussion was over. :smiley:

Apologies for raising a false alarm.

The scan the 3D code and pay is for real and I have used it, linked to my Impots onlone page

Much, much better to check things BEFORE paying… :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed: . far too many scams about. :unamused:

Just a shame you have crept above the threshold… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s tough :astonished:
I take it she is correct and your RFR is slightly higher in 2019?

By a few hundred euros!

That… is what I would call “a right bugger”.
And it doesn’t explain why the website is wrong.

It is a bit.

Tax office lady said the site wasn’t wrong (where it said “Taxe d’Habitation 0 euros”)

The demands were ‘supplement’. :smiley:

Yes…but what does that actually mean??? “extra”???

Did she give you a breakdown of how it is arrived at???

seems very high-handed to me… glad my lot are nicer and explain b etter…

No idea what it means, but didn’t like to argue in case I get another ‘supplement’ :smiley:

She just said my income was above the exoneration level.

Our earnings have been under the limit for years, so no tax d’habitation.

We didn’t pay the audiovisual in 2018 but we did in 2019, and we’re paying it in installments for 2020. I don’t receive anything by post, everything is online, and I only noticed the 2019 bill when checking the taxe fonciere. I paid it (obviously) but was surprised to see it as I thought it had been phased out if you didn’t pay tax d’habitation. So something somewhere has changed.

It all seems odd to me because I thought the threshold for exemption was being increased year on year as per Macron’s plan to phase out taxe d’hab except for high earners.
So if you earned a few hundred more than last year, and the threshold this year is more generous than it was last year…
It’s making my head hurt, but can you see where I’m coming from?