Taxe Fonciere 2020

Ditto Helen

Out taxe fonciere arrived yesterday and itā€™s gone up by ā‚¬263. We havenā€™t any idea why. Is it going up generally to make up for taxe dā€™habitation?
Our base cotisation has gone up from 1241 to 1639!
Should we ask for an explanation?

Did you do any works to your house? Were you subject to an exoneration last year which has now run out? Have your neighbours had similar increases? If answer is no to all of those then askā€¦

We had a velux put in and were told it wouldnā€™t affect tax.
They then sent us a 4 page document to fill in with our complete house measurements. We used the plan of the house that had been submitted by the previous owner when they added a bedroom and bathroom.
Nothing else has changed.

I think it will be based on that document although I think it has almost certainly already been taken into account for the previous valuation.

possibly not then as this H1 submission might well have been the triggerā€¦

Ok. Probably have to take it on the chin.
Hopefully it shouldnā€™t go up much in future.

Just received my bill - itā€™s gone up from 270e to 940e! Iā€™ve renovated the house and the habitable space has gone down and Iā€™ve lost a bedroom - what is going on? I have booked a telephone appointment with the local (Limoux) tax office for next week - I wonder how they will justify it.

MinĆ©s gone from 599ā‚¬ to 608ā‚¬. Canā€™t complain. If it had gone up a couple of hundred ā‚¬ Iā€™d certainly inquire why!

If it hasnā€™t been assessed for years then the increase (although large) just brings it up to date. Ours increased by 50% for that reason, Have owned several places and depending on the town/village/rural location have paid anything from 200ā‚¬ to nearly 2000ā‚¬ and weā€™re not talking big posh houses! :wink:

Iā€™m in a small village of 200 people so this 350% increase is a massive shock and they want it paid within 3 weeks!

aĆÆe ! Sounds a bit steep but not outrageous, as I say, it all depends on when it was assessed at 270ā‚¬, some havenā€™t been reassessed for decades! Youā€™re doing the right thing though, have a chat to try to get to the bottom of it :wink:

and if you will be struggling to pay it, you will find them sympatheticā€¦

The outcome of my call was that in fact the previous owners had declared the size of the property to be much much much much smaller! I opened a very tiny gallery in part of the house, 25sqm, for which I expected an increase and this part of the bill is 141ā‚¬. As the gallery has taken hardly anything this year myself, Leon the dog and Ozie the cat are going to have to tighten our belts!

Is there any way of checking what is ā€˜declaredā€™?

Maybe the previous owners will have a pleasant surprise when the Taxman knocks on their door to reclaim the back payments!

Here there be dragonsā€¦ ask the fisc and they will probably hit you with an H1 form

Unlikely - if they even know where they areā€¦

I know exactly what you mean, there is no way Iā€™d go poking my nose there but wondered if there is some magical website or codes on the bill or something :rofl:

Iā€™ve been told they can only back claim 3 years. Iā€™d love to see this in writing.

In fact I think (now) we were sent a H1 form after weā€™d been here a year or 2. It was asking us to say what the house was like 2 years before we moved in!!! We had no way of answering that as we donā€™t know when renovations were done etc (wish theyā€™d not bothered what they started :unamused: ) . DH rang the tax office and explained that we couldnā€™t fill it in as we had no idea. They said to him to just put down what we thought :flushed: :flushed: we were so not happy to do that and potentially lie to the fisc so we just left it and decided to deal with it if they asked about it again but they never have!

1 Like

I think there is a way to unpick the figures on the back of the bill and do reverse calculations to work out sq/m. I seem to recall when we enlarged our house and did an H1 we spotted the difference on the bill the following year.

1 Like