Taxe Fonciere - any clemency this year?

No it is a second home to be a gite approx 10km away.

Ah well… sounds like it is livable… even so… you could always ask at your Mairie, when we can get out and about…

Nothing will change for this year… but, quite possibly… depending on what your Mairie reckons… if it is classed as unlivable from next January 1st … your TH 2021 might be zeroed on that property.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who joined this ‘Clemency’ post. I might get a refund soon as my home is still being sold after almost a year due to holdups by the Buyer and the Brexit and now this ‘Lockdown’. Tally Ho!

1 Like

Faye… where are you off to then… ??? once the sale goes through…

I might be stuck there if the buyer can get out of it, lol

Oh dear. fingers crossed that it gets sorted to your satisfaction… :upside_down_face:

Luxury! Our current property was considered habitable by the bank for our mortgage when we moved in and it certainly wasn’t by my standards! James made us all practice fire drills the week we moved in, in case the ‘wiring’ caught fire during the night!!

1 Like

I got my tax foncier reduced by going to the tax office several years ago. Maybe things have changed but I learned that we were all in bands depending on what type of property we have. They had me in band A and I explained I was living in a 200 yr old house with no insulation and no heating totaly unmodernised. They said yes but in an attractive situation! Anyway I had brought photos and she dropped me down a band which reduced the Tax Foncier. I pay a fortune because its old, large and has outbuildings. If you don’t ask you don’t get.
I

1 Like

quite right… a friend had his property inspected and the “inspector” felt that one room wasn’t really a room as it was more of a corridor… and thus … a slight reduction.

It doesn’t hurt to ask…but… many folk have improved their properties and risk having the figure jump up…into a new category… ooops… then they wish they’d never opened their mouths… :frowning:

1 Like

I pay both two, on my main home and I pay it on my shop and cfe too but let’s not go into that. As Jane says, seek more information (depending on your income of course) contact your local assistant(e) social(e) :wink:

2 Likes

since 2011, we’ve not been able to properly use our 2nd house… as the kitchen needed reconnecting to the new drainage and burst water pipes need replacing in the bathroom… everything else is fine of course… and because of that… we pay every tax, every year because it is fully furnished… Probably more than the house is worth… but it will be useful when family come (if they ever do)… We’ve been in lockdown for 51 days now but can’t work on that little house, 'cos we need stuff… and it’s not essential… so we ain’t going anywhere. :smile:

1 Like

Given that so many people who don’t have the luxury of owning even one home, let alone two, I find your comment very narcissistic and selfish. Clemency for what, exactly??? How about actually DOING something nice in a time of crisis for so many people and offer your second home to someone in desperate need, through no fault of their own. Just for a few weeks, perhaps? Until the worst is over? I’m sure that you could get a legal contract drawn up so that they don’t take your precious second home away from you. Poor petal. Life must be tough when you can’t have a holiday. I say this because I am one of the lucky ones with one home where I’m at least safe. However, I can not go to Australia to visit my family and have a few friends who have offered their second homes out to others who can not afford their rent. So, I am very curious what “clemency” you are talking about?

3 Likes

Well put @Melissa_LEE and welcome to the forum.

Hi Melissa…

I see you joined us in 2016… glad you finally decided to join in with the threads… although the conversation you have just joined has been thrashed, well and truly, I would have thought…

The OP’s question has already been explained and answered… :wink:

I suspect we are all a bit frazzled by the current situation :thinking: :crazy_face:

(Late seeing this posting). What? How much? Whatever is it you own? A whole town?