Techie question

I want to use an old iphone to be able to run teamviewer so I can control my bluetti power units remotely. The plan is for the old iphone to connect with the bluetti’s via bluetooth and then I connect to the old iphone through the net.

The problem I have is that the old iphone doesn’t have a sim card so I can’t get past the set up stage. Does anyone happen to know if there’s a way I can connect the phone to bluetooth and net without a sim???

How old?

I’d have thought if it just needs an Internet connection then connecting it to your WiFi will do

It’s an iphone 6. I reset it and stepped through apple’s set up screens but can’t get past ‘no sim’ :smiling_face_with_tear:

Ah, right

Temporarily insert a SIM from another phone (assuming your iPhone is unlocked), then connect to WiFi and remove the SIM for “normal” use.

2 Likes

Ok will give that a go :+1::+1:everything crossed that it works, and hoping the phone doesn’t periodically get blocked searching for a sim. Thanks :+1::+1:

Put phone in Airplane Mode (don’t get me started on that term) once activated and then turn on WiFi and Bluetooth.

Phone shouldn’t attempt anything cellular again until AM is deactivated.

3 Likes

“Airplane Mode” should turn off all phone radios - including WiFi and Bluetooth.

Shouldn’t it?

1 Like

You can switch WiFi and Bluetooth back on while still in airplane mode.

1 Like

I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow and I’ll report back on how it goes👍

Thanks to all who responded - appreciated :+1::+1:

This.

AM is being deactivated??? :astonished: :astonished:

Come on, his jokes aren’t that bad. :roll_eyes:

Sorry, I know what an aeroplane is, but no idea how to mode it. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Why do you want ti run it?

So I can see the status of my bluetti power stations, as they have bluetooth and not wifi.

Now let me start by saying I’ve never had this requirement nor implemented it :face_with_hand_over_mouth: but my first thought was using a phone as a bluetooth to wifi bridge is over complicating the solution, Is there no simpler way?

If you have a simpler solution I’d be more than happy to take a look at it :+1::+1::+1::+1:

I don’t offhand but how exactly are you planning to hook it up?

This thing for example… ?

I don’t understand what having a phone connected to a bluetooth device and the same phone also being connected to a wifi network buys you. Is there some passthrough benefit, or an app on the phone that takes data from the BT device that you can interrogate via wifi?

Yeah, now you mention it I think you can do that with Android phones as well.

It’s still somewhat illogical for a mode which is supposed to disable all the phone’s radios, so as not to interfere with airplane electronics.

Is that not pretty much debunked now, especially given that you can connect to the airline’s WiFi service on many flights?

1 Like

@John_Scully yes there is a bluetti app on my main phone that I use to connect to the bluetti power stations. The app allows me to control the power stations locally i.e. within about 10-15m from them.

My plan is to have the app running on the ‘old’ iphone that I leave in the house, then I connect remotely to that phone via the net, and therefore able to control the app on that phone with e.g. teamviewer or similar prog.

Is that clearer?