Temporary Social Security number or the real thing?

Welcome to the forum Debra.

Yes you can put your application in with the temporary number, then just add a note in the comments box (in French) to explain you have handed in your dossier and are waiting for your number to come though. When they get to your application they’ll just send you an email asking you to send through your proper number.

Angela, as you know I am spinning my wheels over my C.V. as well. 28 Aug to ‘a few weeks ago’ is actually … 6 months! 9th Dec + 6 months = early June :scream:

What are they doing with this stuff!? How come a temporary piece of paper and s.s # can be issued in a lightning 12-14 weeks :roll_eyes: and it takes another 12-14 weeks to churn out the real thing?

Remember the days of ‘cover notes’ for car insurance when everything was done on paper? Dare I say that in a country not a million miles from here as soon as one’s card has been cleared for payment, over the phone or on line, the insurance policy is up and running.

I had three ‘cover notes’ for insurance and one temp C.G. before the real C.G. and the definitive insurance certificate was issued.

The embassy said to allow 6 months - I think there’s a massive surge in applications :thinking:

Yes I’ve heard this too, it is all the Brits that have been off the radar, incorrectly using their EHIC cards even though they are living here and now scrambling to get in the system!

1 Like

I’m sure you are right @toryroo . When I got my Carte Vitale a few years back, it didn’t take anything like that long…

You can wait for your temporary number (who knows how long for) or you just apply using your Private Health Insurance details as proof of your French healthcare equivalence (legal requirement).

Wrt temporary social security numbers, they will start with either 7 or 8. Permanent numbers start with 1 or 2.

1 Like

They are generally processing the temporary numbers quite quickly. It’s the actual Carte Vitale that’s taking the time

We tried that, went to MMA to aske could we have private health care, told yes and gave us a quote but said not until you have number from CPAM. so a little stumped and seems we have to wait unless someone can help and suggest another way around it. Thanks

Ask Fabien…he seems to have a company that will do this. Link on top icon bar.

1 Like

That’s entirely bogus. You can’t have a mutuelle (top up health insurance) until you are in the system, but private health insurance is a legal requirement until you are in the healthcare system. It’s also required to demonstrate that you were covered before 31/12/2021 in order to apply for the WA CdS.

I’m sorry Martyn, but that isn’t quite right. @toryroo and all the people working with helping Brits get WA CdS’s have been assured that the Prefectures will only look at whether they CURRENTLY have health insurance. I know what the rules say technically, but the govt is doing its best to ensure everyone manages to stay if at all possible.

(I agree about the mutuelle though - perhaps MMA thought that was what Debra was asking for as that’s what they usually deal with!)

@fabien

1 Like

Tory, that presupposes that the CV people beat the CdS people to the punch and a ‘proper number’ is to hand. At 6 months for a CV to be issued …

yes we do, thanks for tagging me :wink:

Yes of course it does. I’m not sure what they will do . Worst case is to hav eto take out a few months private cover (which frankly people should have anyway as as residents here they aren’t entitled to use thier EHIC cards), they just need to tick th boxes to get through the application and get thier cards,.

I was applying on line at our local pharmacy to be added to their covid vaccine waiting list and had to enter my social security number and remembered your post.
You are correct regarding the 6th and 7th numbers being 99 which mine is as a british national and perhaps the same 2 digits apply to anyone who is not born French?
It doesn’t have any relevance to the S1 system ( in my case) as I have had my CV and SS number for 13 years and only had the ability to use an S1 recently which I dont need anyway.
It would be a bonus if I could sell my right to an S1 to a non active!!

That’s certainly my understanding, or rather (I think) born outside France as I think it normally gives your Departement of birth there and 99 is a catch-all :thinking:

1 Like

I assume MT short for Mutuelle. OH is a beneficiary under my S1, but our mutuelle is joint and all works well. We applied for it in early Dec2019, (after the required 3 months residency), got a temp number within four weeks and card in early Feb’…efficient quick and seamless, so it seems we were lucky here in 22.
The on going challenge though is understanding how the reimbursement amounts are arrived at, after 15 months it still baffles us.

MT is médecin traitant (your doctor, same as GP in uk)