The 5:2 Fasting Diet

I've been doing the 5:2 as well, for about a year tho' did have a bit of a holiday during the summer and finding it a bit hard to get back on schedule. Still 1 stone and a quarter is better than nothing! Michael Mosley also did a programme on exercise, very short: 3 x 20 second bike bursts. Have a look http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251 No, I don't like exercise either and I've a feeling that the alcoholic calories don't help much, either!

That was probably the BBC Horizon programme from last year with Dr Michael Mosley who is a medical journalist

Good luck in the one on - one off method

I did try this last year and lost about a stone. My weight can fluctuate around the 2 stone mark over the course of a few months although it never seems to go higher than 14 stone.

I would rather be more around the 12 stone mark and to lose so of the 'puppy fat'. Also I am trying to do more exercise now on the top part of my body so I have bought 3 kayaks which I go out the lakes a few times a year with my partner.

Well done Rachel. My blood pressure also improved and I was able to reduce my daily pill to half. I’m with you on “the best thing…” Not sure about the peanut butter though

I understand what you’re saying Debra but i have to disagree with your comment. I started on the 5:2 under the advisement of my GP but have adapted it to my needs as a diabetic and continue in the spirit of the régime so I know what I am doing.

Psychologically, this is right for me and nothing else in my diet history has had the same impact over the last 40-odd years, even low calorie diets and losing almost 7 stone 20 years ago.

Peut-être Annie

Hi Caro

Firstly, hope you’re well again. Mimi Spencer co-author with Michael Mosley.

Twenty years ago I lost almost 7 stone with Slimming World but their hard and fast rule on goal weights in those days made it impossible for me to achieve my target - it would have meant weighing what I did before I had my first child at age 17! I also found it hard to be slim again at that time and health did not figure in the equation.

Happy to buddy up with you if you like

Margaret

Looks like we have a group starting up here??????

Yes Margaret,

I started on it it January and did it for three months. I lost nearly 2 stone in all. I then became ill and have not gone back to it. Funnily enough I have just bought a book this week, Mimi Spencer's " Fast Diet Recipe Book", and will be starting again on Monday.

Overall I cannot recommend this diet nearly enough as it deserves.

I had previously done Slimming World which I did religiously for two years and lost just four pounds in total. Complete rubbish for me.

Would love to have a diet buddy , though it doesn't really feel like a diet at all

Caro

Interesting read,I had never heard of this until my mate sent me a link to a video of a reporter doing a programme on this diet he lost a stone in five weeks …I am just doing a variation of the 5-2 it is one fast day eat 600 calories for the day then next day eat what you want then repeat one day on and one day off,I will keep you posted but so far day three all is well it’s a lot easier than I thought it would be…

Annie, I have read the book - The Fast Diet - its worth getting - I just got a second hand one from Amazon. I found the two authors experiences and theory behind it quite interesting. Also I watched the Michael Mosley emission via youtube. Here is a link to the short version, can't seem to find the long one now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r8OpT11RjE

I agree with you John that it really is worth staying with it for the long term benefits and it is the best health habit I’ve ever been involved with… well done to you both for your success.

just Google it... :)

This sounds really interesting Margaret, I'd love to give it a go, is there a bookI can use to guide me?

Have you tried the 2-day diet. Know quite a few people who have successfully shifted a lot of weight slowly and steadily - slow is the only way!

Personally I like Joe Cross' juice diet, 'Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead' (book and video) - though I do not do it 'the Joe Cross way completely' ie all week, else I would have lost a lot more. I do juicing 3 days a week ie breakfast juice(ie oranges, carrots, ginger, red apples) and then afternoon/evening juice (the green juice more important/healthy than the morning juice - contains green apples, ginger, 1 lemon, courgettes, cucumber should have some kale in it too, but have to buy sooo much - so I don't). I only do juicing 3 days, as this is how long the juice keeps it nutrients! I do have a bit to eat late afternoon, but it's just become a routine I like and it works for me, and it's healthy! So at the weekend I eat normally, but still not as much as I used to! I have bought a big juicer, and I feel so much better having lost 1 stone, slowly but surely, more to loose, and I will! PS! Good luck to you people out there... :)

Hi Margaret,

my wife and I have been doing the 5:2 for about 15 months. We have both lost weight and reached our own target weights after about 6 months… but we have stuck with it for the supposed long-term health benefits and it helps keep our weight very stable.

As you commented, it has changed the way we both feel about food in some interesting - and probably very healthy - ways. In terms of sustainability, the big positive is that you only really 'diet' on two days of the week. The rest of the time you just eat a normal amount with no obvious restrictions - and the temptation to play 'catch-up' after a low-calorie day soon disappears.

After doing it for so long, it is now just second nature and part of our routine. It's flexible enough to allow you to either move or miss the occasional low calorie day without being a problem so it doesn't get in the way of having a social life.

All in, probably the best diet/health habit I've developed in 30 years….

Good luck with sticking at it….

best wishes,

John

That’s brilliant Rachel and maintaining the loss seems to be really easy. Congratulations

Hi Suzanne, no dietary changes as such at the time when I lost 10lbs. I tend to eat a lot of raw veg and salad anyway. I am also now trying not to drink wine every night. You have to be reasonably sensible of course. I don't tend to indulge in cakes, biscuits and desserts as a rule.

Rachael, did you also make several dietary changes, like Margaret, or just fasted for two days a week?

Hello Margaret, I did it for a month in the summer and lost 10lbs. I am now semi doing it to keep the 10lbs off. Very pleased with it. I notice my blood pressure, which was fairly normal anyway, had gone down a bit. I think its the best thing I have done in 30 years of dieting! And I seem to eat all sorts of things now that I used to deny myself. Like peanut butter! :-) Long live 5:2 I say!