The 5:2 Fasting Diet

Ok Grahame - bonne chance

About the Paleo Lil?

I have read studies on grains Lil and it appears theyā€™re not all theyā€™re cracked up to be especially for dietary fibre; Iā€™d rather eat fruit and veg and get the vitamins too

I started the 5:2 at the top if the calorific intake for the 5 days (2,000) but within exercise, I would not have lost anything at that rate. Having taken out certain foods, I was able to stabilise at 1300 very quickly. When that happened, I realised I would have to either reduce the calories further or introduce the exercise so I took the 2nd option and am pleased that I did.

I want to stay happy with this and not be miserable as has been the case on previous rƩgimes.

Off now to my reading group

there are some good podcasts on the net about it...

The Paleo looks interesting so will read up on that a bit more later on

yes it does, i have cut out gluten as there has been studies showing on how that can spike your sugar levels as well.....more than the food it is , but also the effect grains have on the body....i can't tolerate it all now, i was wondering what you think about grains ?

interesting what you say about limiting your calorie intake on days where you can almost eat what you like....did you find that to lose weight it had to be the case? going along the smame lines where before we just would not have access to food all the time so we would have at least one slim day a week.

It is Grahame and itā€™s the most sustainable way of eating that Iā€™ve ever tried over the past 40-odd years.

My relationship with food has changed completely by deciding what foods I donā€™t need in my life and working with what I do want. To be honest, there was no real sacrifice involved.

The best thing I did was to cut out all artificial sweeteners including foods that have them in as well as what I used to have in drinks. I had known for sometime that it was these that made me feel hungry all the time.

I was not a great fan of alcohol so cut that out too; it was not worth the spike to my blood sugars. I have not bought bread for myself since I started but do have a piece if Iā€™m eating out. I also cut out cows milk and itā€™s products such as yogurt although I do use butter milk as an occasional drink and in cooking. I use natural soja yogurt which I happen to love.

Using fresh ingredients is key and I do things like making my own muesli - that way I have complete trust in what Iā€™m eating

When eating out, I never have a 2nd helping and dessert is lemon sorbet and cream is off the menu.

It is very important to keep a tally on the calories and to do that, I use MyFitnessPal.com and the 2013 Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible (thereā€™s a similar version for French foods).

I tend to weigh myself every other week. It is important to add-in some exercise which is not my favourite pastime but it does help so I walk almost every day and I go to aqua gym once a week. I also have an exercise bike and will use it at some point!

Coming from a psychotherapeutic background, I have reframed the word ā€œdietā€ as for me saying ā€œIā€™m on a dietā€ leads me into failure. Iā€™ve reframed it by calling it ā€œmy daily diet.ā€ It works for me

A word of warning; when youā€™re told you can eat what you like on the non-fasting days, itā€™s wise to accept that this really is not the case if you do not decide what foods you no longer consider to be part of your diet. If youā€™re Type 2 diabetic, it is possible to reduce your medication with the agreement of you GP or diabetitian. I no longer need insulin. I canā€™t pass comment for those with Type 1; thatā€™s a different kettle of fish altogether.

I do have a light lunch on my fasting days which is normally my ā€œfasting day green saladā€. A fasting day for me is between 8-900calories rather than the recommended 500. Itā€™s enough. The other 5 days, I usually have 1300 and when eating out, I allow up to 1600. You learn how to guesstimate and I even take a picture of the meal in case I forget what was on the plate!

Does that help you too Lil?

i have been reading a lot about that and i would love to pick your brains about it.....i have been reading up a lot about paleo as well. i need to shift a bit of weight and if i can get healthier whilst doing it all the better ! well done on losing so much !

I lost a stone and a half on it. Easy to do and quick results. I've also kept most of it off as well.

Quite right Margaret. We are all on a diet - most of us not on a very good one!

I prefer Ducan's diet based on avoiding any carbo-hydrate product or starches. It's really helpful

I'm in the lucky position of not wanting to lose any weight so I don't do the 5:2. However I do just have fruit for breakfast. Fruit on its own is very easily digested so the body is free to continue with the fasting/regeneration phase it has been in overnight. I then eat ''normal' lunch and dinner. In this way, the body only has an eight hour window during each day when it has to work at digestion. I feel I get at least some of the benefits of fasting in this way and it works well for me. I am mid fifties with no health problems that I can think of. Some friends swear by the 5:2 diet and it has certainly worked well for them. Having lost the weight they wanted to, they are now a bit more relaxed about it (6:1?) but they know what to do if their clothes start getting a bit tight!