The Benefits of Vaccination (with thread drift...)

It’s generally defined as “alert to injustice in society, especially racism”.

The odd thing is that people who are “woke” do not think of it as an insult, unlike people who are not woke, and think that it is.

I think it is safe to say Dave is not woke :laughing:

4 Likes

I never fail to chuckle at people who seem to think this is a bad thing. Like good old ‘political correctness’ before it, PC aka “ a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.”. Another shocking thing, I mean, what kind of pathetic person would not want to cause offence or disadvantage to other people? I can quite understand why the Daily Mail despises the notion quite so much. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think the other factor is that it’s seen as a neologism that is used in subcultures or ‘urban elite’ circles - what Tories used to call ‘the chattering classes’ - but not among the Great British public (although it is in fact not a new term at all). So it perhaps represents the kind of culture change that makes those attached to tradition and authority quite anxious.

2 Likes

More on this - some reasonable discussion in this BBC report

I’d broadly agree with this - used as a screening tool I don’t see massive problems and the same point is made that I made earlier - the fact that, used regularly, multiple testing mitigates the lack of sensitivity to an extent.

Used as passport to mass attendance events however is  questionable given the lack of sensitivity.

1 Like

A thought provoking interview with Eric Clapton

Thought provoking but so misguided. There is so much there which is just plain wrong. Starting with there is nothing one can do for chronic pain. There is an enormous amount one can do. Epigenetics show us we can switch on or off the genes responsible for inflammatory diseases. Diet and acupuncture are just two of the ways chronic pain can be brought back under control. Sadly, he too has headed off down one of these rabbit holes. And because of who he is people will listen to him. Shame.

4 Likes

To be honest I think the world heard more than enough of a “thought provoking” nature from Clapton in 1976:

Between that, supporting hunting, and of course being an admitted wife beater I’m not sure anyone anywhere needs to hear his thoughts on anything else. Another example of the terrifying ‘cancel culture’ conservatives are always saying is the new road to ruin. 45 years ago he said those things and he still seems to be very much uncancelled… :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Clapton. Seems to believe he is still a God…

I listened to about half of it and gave up. It seemed to be mainly incoherent rambling and I think it would be more effective if it were marketed as a warning against the effects of excessive drug consumption…

He’s been referred to in our household as Claptrap for quite a while…

1 Like

You managed longer than I did…talk about platitudes! But maybe it improved towards the end?

Warning for excessive drug consumption and what vast amounts of money do to your ego. He may be (have been) a great musician but his brain is obviously not geared to profound thought.

1 Like

Sadly not. I looked at the end and it was just the same. Frankly you could cut and splice it anywhere with no change in meaning.

I do find it surprising that this was described as “thought provoking”. :scream:

I maybe should have put “???” and the little “thinking” emoticon after it…??? :grinning: (Had a delivery of treats and toys for The Gang just as I posted it…!)

I’d heard he had a really bad reaction to the Oxford/AstraZeneca shot and came across this interview so thought I’d give it a listen…

He talks about Brexit and freedom of movement and the adverse reaction he’s had and how it still affects him…how he doesn’t want a booster…he talks about the yellow card reporting system…how it shouldn’t be mandatory…and about vaccine passports

He talks about coercion and how he was upset to see ethnic minority celebrities guilt tripping their own community…

Sorry Helen, but an averagely intelligent 15 year old could do better than he did at raising issues.

1 Like

Yes. He has long-standing and disgraceful form on comments about “ethnic minority” matters.

I don’t know anything much about him really except that he’s had a bad reaction to the AZ…

Do people not get to change over 45 years…??? He was talking about how he believes in love and kindness…:thinking:

Maybe it’s shook him up a bit…??? :thinking:

He probably has a liver shot to ribbons. He’s certainly got comorbidities which are inflammatory which, if he had a good doctor, he could have sorted out rather than being told there is no cure. I have friends who have had bad reactions - they are not posting online about it or whingeing. They are getting on with their lives and either have had or are about to have their second vaccination. A few days discomfort, especially if you are in your seventies, is surely a lot better than the alternative.

4 Likes

He is really good at playing the guitar so he should stick to that and let other people do thinking and talking. Presumably as he’s a zillion years old he’s fried whatever few brain cells he had to start with. Never understood what, apart from a massive ego, qualifies pop stars to bang on about anything frankly.

8 Likes

They usually burn themselves out or top themselves eventually.

I’m amazed how that generation keeps going. I think most of them have tanned their livers and so they are semi-mummified.

I’d say paintings in the attic but if they look as they do, what must the image in the picture look like?

2 Likes

Amazing to think of Iggy Pop Alice Cooper and Lou Reed all playing golf in Palm Springs, I certainly didn’t think Lou Reed would be shuffling off the mortal coil before Iggy Pop. Mind you he (LR) was born the same year as my parents, the other two are 5 and 6 years younger, not that you would think so to look at them.