The Brexit fanatics are at the helm, but don’t despair - this is not over

As a matter off fact, I reference articles from multiple sources, Der Spiegel, The Telegraph, The Guardian, Independent and France 24 to name a new. Perhaps it’s just that the Guardian ones get you all chatting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, you’re trolling then :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

I would have thought that, rather than complaining that a left of centre newspaper was being quoted it would have been better to balance the argument by referring to a right of centre publication. The trouble is most of us are attracted to the views of the news outlets that match our opinions and over the years the majority of the British newspapers have done anything to make me believe that they are not reporting with a huge amount of bias.
It is very unlikely that I would have much in common with a Brexit voting Conservative supporter but that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t be interested in hearing their point of view. All I ask is that they offer some real evidence to back up their point of view. I never did get an answer to the simple question I asked several times; After Brexit, how is Britain going to generate enough income to provide the quality of life and level of services peddled by its supporters. Turning you back on your best trading partners is hardly the best start on the road to fame and fortune.

1 Like

[quote=“Aquitaine, post:23, topic:15297”]
I never did get an answer to the simple question I asked several times; After Brexit, how is Britain going to generate enough income to provide the quality of life and level of services peddled by its supporters. [/quote]

Fair question, In answer to that, difficult to predict, nobody really knows with absolute certainty but it has to be taken into consideration the other countries outside of the EU that are willing to trade with the UK. There’s also the saving of 50billion + which will no longer be paid to club EU which should be used internally. Also I doubt UK will no longer be able to trade with EU bloc albeit with tariff agreement, I’m sure large commercial enterprises such as BMW, Mercedes, Renault to name a few are not going to stop trading with UK

Best trading partners? UK imports more from EU than it exports! About 44% of UK exports in goods and services went to other countries in the EU in 2016, 53% of our imports into the UK came from other countries in the EU in 2016.

Figures from fullfacts.org.

1 Like

Typical reply, you use the German car argument to make out that the British market is vital to European manufacturers. The quality German cars are in demand worldwide and they will be able to make up any losses that they experience following Brexit. What is more important is where is the money come from to pay for the luxury imported goods that the British citizens want and expect to have. They might have to fall back on cars produced by British owned manufacturers, if they can find any. The figures don’t add up, the best trading partners for Britain are their close neighbours not the promise of trade with distant populations whose countries are already tied up with their own trading partners. Trade with America, Australasia, Asia and the like will be possible but it will be expensive (as will transport costs) and the problem of trade deficits will still exist because more Britons will crave what others produce than others will demand British goods.

I’m new to the forum so don’t know anyone’s background, do it take it some who live here actually voted for Brexit?

2 Likes

If they did, I would like to know why.

4 Likes

@tim17 Welcome to our World!!! Unbelievably some did exactly that - I refer to them as ‘nutters’ :wink: Imagine - voting against the very environment you’ve chosen to live in - barking mad!!

That did make me chuckle!!

2 Likes

Its not a typical reply, this is why I can’t debate intelligently with you, using German cars was incidental, I could also mention EDF, Deloitte, Veolia, Sita, Keolis etc, French companies operating in UK. Lets leave France and look at other EU countries, Abellio, taking over Scotrail, Arriva a German rail company all operating in UK. There are some UK firms operating in EU but Macron is going to stop this, at least in France.

1 Like

Yes some of us did vote leave but unfortunately some of the remainers here are quite rude and aggressive to those of us who did. Its called freedom of choice mate, There used to be a thing called respect sadly this is lost in this forum with some of the remain voters. We voted to leave the European Union, not Europe! Unfortunately one or two idiots here seem to think its the same thing.

2 Likes

What have European firms opperating in the U.K. got to do with anything? They moved there as Britain was in the EU, what they do after it leaves will be interesting to see. Where is the intelligent part on your side? What do you see as the short term future for Britain and how long do you expect it to take before it reaches the level of trade and prosperity that it was at in June 2016? I’ve yet to see any valid argument that goes beyond getting rid of the foreigners who are stealing jobs and the money donated to the EU. The figures I’ve seen show how the country not only relies on but thrives because of the immigrant workforce and how the investment in the EU is paid back in spades.

1 Like

Oh for gods sake! You brought up the question of trading partners now your saying services not included, You wont see any valid argument because it doesn’t agree with your interpretation. Don’t waste my time answering, I give up bye.

1 Like

And then to round things off…

Pot, kettle and black springs to mind. Some folks just have no self awareness…no wonder they give up!

That’s the ‘Elephant in the room’ observation! Welcome to SF :slight_smile:

1 Like

@anon29800096 you are such a masochist! :wink:

1 Like

I’m not going to justify why I voted Brexit just as I wouldn’t ask anyone to justify voting Remain. Let’s not revisit old ground shall we nor do some name-calling. In your eyes I’m a ‘nutter’ … frankly I think anyone who votes Labour is bonkers and Remainers are misguided. But that’s my view, as is yours and I doubt we shall change each other’s opinion. So let’s play nice, shall we ?

4 Likes

My reply to James was meant as a joke!

Lets see, so its OK for you to throw insults but I’m not allowed to address those…

@Sandy_Hewlett you said

in one breath - then in your next sentence you said

So, as a ‘misguided’ one I’d just like to clarify that I think the ‘nutters’ are those who have moved to live in an EU country and then voted to leave the EU.

I’m not referring to their views - just their​ barking mad actions!

Seems like I am …:laughing:

1 Like

I admire your resilience!