The greatest recording artists .....your choice

I’ve only just discovered Anthony Warlow. He is an amazing Australian musical performer.

Lee was/is a top drummer, very powerful and up there with Bonzo from Led Zepp or Ian Paice from Deep P. David Byron was for me, one of the great rock vocalists.

I still have the original album wth Bullfrog Blues & Laundromat etc The OGWT version is on one of the OGWT albums (the one with the three cd s in the case). Rory G was magical, another musician who left us far too early.

Front row at the Marquee,

1 Like

Kathleen Ferrier lived close where I live There is a memorial garden to her in the village My grandmother knew Kathleen’s father quite well apparently

This is an interesting one - I wouldn’t exactly describe myself as a fan of the band, itself mostly the work on one man (Aaron Bruno) and interpretation of the lyrics varies.

Whether written that way or not I find that the lyrics speak (to me) of the way that people with ASD (or ADD as in the song) see themselves compared with how society sees them - and the choice of this track for the Video of Jeb Corliss BASE jumping/flying through the Schattenbach canyon (presumably purely because of the title/chorus) was inspired - and much better in some ways than the official video.

I absolutely love this too…I prefer it to the original S&G one…I think I too may have posted it before probably off topic on a completely unrelated thread that for some obscure reason may have reminded me…x :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

Of the versions posted I prefer the one from the Conan show - it is the more powerful of the two.

Both, however are excellent vehicles to showcase David Draiman’s vocal abilities.

1 Like

A fellow Lancastrian then.

They are calling him the present day Mozart.

Oh yes and proud of it :rose:

It’s very much a chalk and cheese situation with me, Chris. I can’t bear rock. In particular, the faux-American twangs of many of the vocalists (male and female) grates on my sensibilities, and the numbingly tedious and over-loud chord sequences leave me cold, if not glacial.

But it’s just the way we’re wired, I suppose. The only ‘rock’ concert I ever attended was Lonnie Donegan live at the London Palladium, in 1957, I think (may be wrong about the venue, but never again).

But I love music, especially choral music, classic solo voice, opera, old-fashioned French Café de Paris crooners (Mistinguette, Fernandel, Chevalier, Tino Rossi, Josephine Baker).

And John Shuttleworth… “I Can’t Go Back To Savoury Now” :broken_heart::notes::notes:"I Can’t Go Back To Savoury Now"

1 Like

I was born in Lancaster.

Coincidentally, Lonnie Donegan released an album called Puttin’ on the Style that had Rory Gallagher as a guest musician on it.

1 Like

My all time favourite recording artist is Elton John and I’m going to see him for the first and only time next year during his farewell tour.

2 Likes

those jokes and… “How d’ya know it’s a toadstool… 'cos there ain’t much room inside”…:joy::rofl: always loved that one…

In 2012 when I lived in Yorkshire my daughter and I were driving through Harrogate when we saw a poster advertising an Elton John concert a week later at the Yorkshire showground.
We assumed it must be a tribute act but checked the internet when we got home.
It was the man himself and there were seats left. We got tickets for £45.00 each. On arrival it was like a really posh garden party. A Pimms lorry, marquees with tables and chairs. No bag checking. Allowed to sit on the grass until it was time to take our seats.
Elton started at 18.30 and finished at 21.00 without leaving the stage, although he let his band have a break. He was chatty, amiable not a bit diva like.
The best value rock star I’ve ever seen and in a small outside venue with really good organisation. The chief steward allowed each staff member to spend some time watching the concert by standing in for them in turn.
I hope your concert is as good.

1 Like

It had better be Teresa as the tickets were crazy money but it’s supposedly his last tour so was going to be my last chance to see him.

1 Like

I’d forgotten I’m very fond of Elton John. If he’s a rock star I somehow overlooked the fact. He’s always melodic and I can follow his lyrics. And he plays the piano, not one of those ghastly keyboard thingies. :notes::wink:

He’s got children to feed!:joy:
I still don’t know how we got tickets so cheap or at all. My daughter, at the start of most songs, said I don’t know this and then would recognise the chorus.
A year before my dil had a spare ticket for Take That, I said I’d buy it and that’s when I found out it was £110.00!
It was at man city football ground. I’ve never seen so many drunk 40 something women.
When we arrived 2 hours before the concert had even started the bins were overflowing and there were no paper towels in the toilets. I felt like I’d been mugged.
We were pushed around like cattle.
The best bit for me was the Pet Shop Boys were the support act.
Take That were perfectly good but not worth the money or the hassle.
Michael Buble at Manchester Arena was amazing and the concert fell on my daughter’s 18th birthday so extra special. She adores him. At the end of the event he closed the curtains on the band and stood without a microphone and sang a Capella.
True talent.

Sil not dil. Autocorrect