The Importance of the Vaccinated Continuing to wear Masks

@Corona posted a very useful video on the other thread about the benefits of vaccination which I am copying here

One VERY IMPORTANT piece of information I took from this video is that if a vaccinated person gets the delta variant (does not happen often, but can do) then that person will carry a high “viral load” and be as infectious as a non-vaccinated person. At the same time, because they have been vaccinated, they may have no symptoms or only mild symptoms that they think is “just” a summer cold.

Unfortunately, vaccinated people tend to wander round thinking they are fine and not a risk to anyone else and hence are tending to say “I’ve been vaccinated, I don’t need to socially distance, or wear a mask”. This is NOT TRUE. It is essential vaccinated people, for the sake of others, continue to act responsibly, to wear masks and continue to socially distance, meet outside, etc etc.

I know someone who has not been vaccinated (health reasons), moving in a world where virtually everyone around her has been vaccinated, all her vaccinated friends are saying “It’s fine” when patently it’s not. I’ve warned her (based on this video) that things are far from fine. Weddings / funerals / get-togethers, she needs to be exceptionally careful to protect herself.

If you have been vaccinated, please, please be responsible and continue to wear a mask. You do not know who, among those around you, may not be vaccinated or whose vaccination has not “taken” due to their health circumstances. The Delta variant is highly contagious. Do not be responsible (unknowingly) for continuing to spread it.

And please, do not use this topic for a pro/anti-vax rant. Thanks.

16 Likes

Masks and the other precautions that are just normal life now: social distancing, hand-washing, etc.

2 Likes

Bar walking the dog in a park or around the lake we haven’t see anybody without a mask in town or in a shop.

2 Likes

I’m troubled (I know I shouldn’t be) by the notion of Doris’ freedom day. It sends out the wrong message imo.
There is no freedom from Covid yet - if there will ever be - but his political expediency to be “liked” and to avoid telling it as it is, is very worrying and engenders a false sense of security.

4 Likes

I’m not sure it’s just Doris. Our Dutch guests arrived maskless, having been vaccinated and their teenage boys tested negative. They were surprised to find I met them wearing a mask. “But we’ve been vaccinated” they said. I fear that will be an increasingly common viewpoint.

Just yesterday I posted on my other forum that I am tired of the number of old people who are practically in my face breathing all over me while they jostle me in the supermarket to get to something then when I ask them to kindly keep distance they say “It’s OK I’m vaccinated”.

Meaning (1) I’m immune and now immortal cos I’ve had the vaccine and then later when transmissability still existing has been mentioned (2) well I still don’t care cos I’ll be all right

It’s been happening since momentum picked up locally of the over-60’s being vaccinated locally. Glad it wasn’t just me that’s been getting a tad frustrated encountering this.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it is not like that in Cluny and lots of people thinking that wearing a mask means just covering their mouth.

3 Likes

I saw a man today who bizarrely had his mask only covering his nose. I have thought about it in the 6 hours since and I still haven’t got the faintest idea what was happening there. He was just walking away from the checkouts so perhaps he just pulled it up early before leaving, or perhaps he was exempt somehow but was still covering his nose out of respect for others… I am entirely baffled. I actually did a double take to ensure I was actually seeing what I thought I was, and yes, he had both pieces of elastic properly round his ears, his mouth exposed, and his mask worn like a shower cap over his nose. Bizarre. :roll_eyes::laughing:

1 Like

In some ways that might be better than covering only your mouth - if you’re breathing through your nose most of the time.

Mask wearing locally in Tesco is about 75%, maybe a little higher. One maskless woman in front of me started coughing into her elbow but looked very put out as I increased my “social distance” to about 3.5m

I rather fear it means nothing like that. He’s probably breathing through his mouth most of the time, so covering his nose is neither here nor there.

Hard to tell, I suppose :slight_smile:

You will always get the idiots that think they are invincible and are immune to covid, no respect for their fellow human beings and aren’t bothered about the possibility of infecting others, sad sad people .

1 Like

I wonder what all those people who have their nose poking over the top of their masks thought of that!

2 Likes

Lol, yes, as I say, he may have had a perfectly legitimate reason, he was an older chap, so I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, ‘hidden disabilities’ and all that, but it was a very amusing, and bemusing sight :joy: I’ve heard them called ‘chin hammocks’ before, but because it was so narrow this was definitely a nose hammock :laughing:

1 Like

And when you wear a mask put it on properly (please) non of this under the nose nonsense. The nose is the test area for covid for a reason!

1 Like

1 Like

Yes, it is usually older men that wear their masks under their nose.

3 Likes

Fully agree, I too feel this will increasingly be a common view point, talking daily with US, Asia and many Euro colleagues who are fully vaccinated they couldn’t wait to get rid of the masks. in their respective countries.

For me, I’m more than happy to continue wearing one indoors, restaurants, shopping etc, but not outdoors.

1 Like

Probably a obvious thing to say but you view point changes immensely if you’ve had Covid (as I have) or maybe close family members, friends and acquaintances have had it.

I lost a healthy 42 year friend / ex-colleague to Covid a couple of months back, he went from healthy to dead inside 2 weeks., he unfortunately hadn’t been vaccinated.

Experiences like the above do allow you to see it in a different perspective, yet I still firmly believe we need to get on with life.

1 Like

I also think your viewpoint changes immensely if you have some latent condition (as I have) that could resurge because my immune system may be compromised if I get COVID. It will not be the COVID that will kill me, but the dormant condition might - and potentially in a very unpleasant way.

7 Likes