The maximum 3 consecutive posts rule

I quite understand the need for it, to stop people hogging a thread but I have come up against a, possibly unwanted, drawback to it.

In a long running thread about help for the elderly in France much of it has been concerned with the increasing dementia of my wife and how this is viewed, treated and helped in the French system.

There is a core of very helpful regulars in the thread, many of whom have urged me on several occasions to report progress for all to follow. But I have found that, when there are rapid changes to report, because of this rule, I am only able to edit a previous post. That is fine, it is all sequential and I flag that it is an Edit each time, but presumably no-one knows of these updates because, not being new posts, no-one is notified of them. Also they do not appear in the ā€˜Unread Postsā€™ list.

Is there another way round this other than creating a blog which presumably would lose all the nearly 800 useful contributions so far?

1 Like

This topic in Discourse, the underlying software driving SF suggests it is possibleā€¦

Would 5 consecutive posts be better?
Iā€™d support thatā€¦ do others have a view?
@james

1 Like

Itā€™s a soft limit, you can post moreā€¦

ā€¦thanā€¦

ā€¦threeā€¦

ā€¦timesā€¦

ā€¦consecutivelyā€¦

ā€¦ifā€¦

ā€¦youā€¦

ā€¦wish.

Actually it looks like the limit has been increased as I only hit the nag screen with the last post.

5 Likes

Not true David. Iā€™ve seen your thread come up in my unread list and I must say Iā€™ve wondered why, as it seems not to have a new post. Now I understand why.

1 Like

Like @SuePJ I posted amendments to the same initial post in the Tax Help 2022 topic rather than add to the posting trail and people were notified of the updatesā€¦

1 Like

@David_Spardo
I wonder if you have thought of simply clicking the X in the top box of the message telling you youā€™ve posted ā€œtoo oftenā€ā€¦ (thus dismissing that message)

that removes the message and allows you to continueā€¦

Itā€™s worked for me in the pastā€¦ on my France Daily threadā€¦

best of luck

Oh well as long as people who are interested are notified I suppose it doesnā€™t matter. Not sure I would choose to increase the number though, without checking again I reckon I made at least 6 edits over the last 2, which turned out to be very long, posts.

But I donā€™t know how you managed all those consecutive posts @billybutcher, before I started this thread I did a check and it wouldnā€™t allow me any more than 3 in a row.

@Stella Not sure what you meant at first but now I think I do. Iā€™ll go back and check now, unless some kind person :roll_eyes: has made a reply to allow me anyway. Worth a go anyway. :wink:

Edit: just tried it and as before it wonā€™t allow me another and the box that tells me so does not have an X to click in it. Perhaps you are a mod too? :thinking:

1 Like

might be because @billybutcher has a different less restrictive version of the software as he is a moderatorā€¦

Iā€™m not entirely serious about this, and it might not work, or be frowned upon anyway, but does the forum allow 2 members using the same email/ip/computer etc.? Now I come to think about it I did get her a separate email address to get into her Ameli account. Still didnā€™t work though, presumably because of the IP. :rofl:

If so I could simply get Fran to join and get her to post in between mine now and again.
Of course I would be quite open that it was me. :innocent:

But if it isnā€™t allowed, does that mean that a married couple in the same household cannot be members individually? :thinking:

Hmmm, you might be right - I actually hadnā€™t thought of that but was ā€œsureā€ from memory that the three posts limit was a soft limit - the forum did nag me to stop on the penultimate post above but let me complete it.

both Vanessa and I are separate members in the same household but we do have separate email addresses.
Two members using the same account (or one with two separate accounts) will raise a flag on the system for the attention of the Team IIRC

So if I use Franā€™s, totally unused, gmail account I could post in her name between my own then? And no objections from the management? Not something I would do often but in the case above updates were required as requested several times in just a few days.