The maximum 3 consecutive posts rule

you would need a different user name and any posts would be identified as being hers, but yes… in essence, that’s correct. She would not however obtain the same Trust Level as you currently enjoy until (and unless) her account achieves it in its own right.
The purpose of the rule essentially is to prevent someone hogging the topic and to encourage others to contribute.

Needs thinking about, I don’t really approve of such subterfuge, and the rule is no doubt justified if one or 2 posts cannot prompt others to reply then perhaps the rule should not be foiled in its intention.

This brings me to the subject of ‘likes’. I have often thought that, enabling approval as they do, at the same time discourage short complimentary replies, and thus exacerbate the 3 post rule. :thinking:

1 Like

I came across the 3 post limit earlier on in the week in the cat photo thread. I had done 3 posts several days previously, but was refused any more until someone else posted. Nobody did, so my post never happened. I understand why there is a limit, to stop people bombing a thread but if you haven’t posted for several days, and neither has anyone else, then further posts should be allowed.

Think of the cats :cat2::kissing_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Good point. :slightly_smiling_face:

David i promise to reply so you can keep posting, life has been crazy the last month so been relying on likes!

2 Likes

Well i certainly hadn’t realised about the updates, I will head over to read them.

2 Likes

Thank you Tory, I fully understand, and it all began when you met us !! :rofl:

Incidentally, when M-P came with the lady from Nontron hospital on Thursday, and the latter said that not only did she know and enthusiastically approve of Dr. Dumas, but that he regularly has RDVs there as well as Francheville and it would be so much more convenient for us. ‘But you are forgetting Tory’, I said, there is no way she could play truant long enough to get to Nontron. So if it is not possible for you to come again in Novermber, I will quite understand, but if there is the slightest possibility, I think we will stick with Francheville, especially as, thanks to Lily, I have worked out the free and close parking system there. :wink: :joy:

But it raises a point worth thinking about. A ‘like’ indicates someone is reading, is interested and is responding, so perhaps they could be considered as replies in the context of the 3 post rule.
Just a thought. :thinking:

2 Likes

What may be required if you particularly wish to follow a topic closely is to set it to “Watching” as opposed to the usual default “Tracking” when you respond to a post.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of any such rule.

well to be fair Peter, I’m sure many others are equally unaware of it too until they stumble across it.

Yes Graham, but the first 2 would only be triggered by new posts, not edits made because of the 3 post rule. And, as I have just unwittingly demonstrated, not everyone uses the @ system when they know the person’s name. :smiley:

@Peter_Bird That is probably because you have never ‘needed’ to make make 4 posts in a row. I certainly didn’t know of the rule until asked to make regular updates to a particular situation. :slightly_smiling_face:

That said David, which I understand completely, once someone else then makes a post to the topic, anyone with the “Watching” flag set on a topic will be automatically notified of it and they will be able to see any new activity including edits…
It’s just an idea to help… not necessarily a perfect solution which increasing the consecutive posts rule to 5 might help resolve.

David,
There’s your solution. At the end of your third post you can flag me up by @Wozza and I’ll reply or I’m sure many others will volunteer

5 Likes

Also there is the ridiculous rule that posts must contain more than, I think, five letters.

Must confess… I read with interest and concern for @David_Spardo and his wife…
I’m often so moved that words simply fail me.

I’ll make a point of checking that someone has replied… and if not… I’ll be in there like a shot… :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes - couldn’t just say “yes” - :grinning:

1 Like

I’d forgotten about the 5 word rule, and the one, is it the same, about the pithy one word heading to a newly created post. :roll_eyes:

I think you mean 5 letter. :slight_smile:

Yes, 5 letter, but I think the thread title is restricted by words not letters, isn’t it?

1 Like

OK, I’m not an admin.