The maximum 3 consecutive posts rule

Post 2

Post 3

Aaandā€¦silence.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t post again.

Until I came along.

You changed everything. :wink:

What you could do is to quote multiple people into your reply, thus enabling a single post to work answering more than a single comment - if thatā€™s useful. Or PM someone asking them to reply into the thread, releasing to from comment-prison.

I think the subject, unknown to almost everyone until they come up against the brick wall, is a mystery to most. But hopefully with this extensive airing more people will question why a new reply hasnā€™t been notified in a very active thread, and investigate. :smiley:

Comment prison, Ilke that, which reminds me, I have bread but have run out of cheese. :roll_eyes:

I wouldnā€™t personally support changing that arrangement nor do I think would @james who is the site admin in whose gift this lies.
Donā€™t forget that most of the site emoticons contain more than 5 chars if all you want to do is make a simple acknowledgement statement in a topic such as :white_check_mark: to agree with something and as @David_Spardo has already said, a like on a post makes an equally significant statement.

Hmmm, so it is a soft limit on moderators (and presumably admins) but moderators donā€™t have access to the forum settings where I *think* it can be tweaked - only @james would be able to do that.

The question then arises whether it is necessary, given that the last post can be edited to add new material, to increase the number of allowed consecutive posts.

1 Like

but as I found, there is then a limited on the period of time after expiry of which the OP cannot edit a post

Did you figure out how old a post has to be before it canā€™t be editied?

Well I havenā€™t yet, and I make a lot of punctuation and spelling edits.

I think soā€¦ Today is 3rd July. A post made by me on 4th June can be edited but any prior canā€™t so itā€™s probably a calendar month.
I donā€™t think itā€™s fixed in the system - itā€™s an admin amendable option.

1 Like

Let me know what you decide, Iā€™ll change it if you think it would benefit the quality of discourse.

If you are talking about the 3 post rule @james , I do not think it necessary to do away with it because I can see its value, but perhaps a try out on ā€˜likesā€™ counting as replies and thus showing that there was interest in the flow.
In the instance that prompted me to bring this up there were likes but no replies and at least one regular in the thread said she didnā€™t realise that there were updates in the shape of (enforced) edits.

If the length of time before edits arenā€™t permitted I would leave that alone. I edit almost every post I make in some way or other, normally spelling or punctuation, but certainly not as long as a month after.

On the other hand, if there are objections to any change I am happy for them not to be made, the very fact of this thread has alerted people to something they may not have been aware of and will strive to accommodate it in future. :smiley:

1 Like

To assist @james in coming to a decision on the issue raised by @David_Spardo please express your view in the following poll.
The poll will be open until 1st August.
Thanks

1. Should the maximum number of consecutive posts be increased above the present 3?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No specific preference

0 voters

1. Should the time period after which the OP can edit a post be increased above the present limit of 1 month?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No specific preference

0 voters

1 Like

I suspect James will be limited to the standard Discourse settings & Iā€™m not sure that is one of them.

I rather think that now many of us are aware of the 3CPRuleā€¦ we can zip in with a comment, as and when needed, to comply with said rulesā€¦ :crossed_fingers: :+1:

Not exactly overwhelming opinions on the survey!

really just shows that members arenā€™t particularly concerned about either issue - which was my understanding anyway - but as ever, itā€™s good to get opinionsā€¦

1 Like