The panic at the borders

We were always told to avoid public toilets as kids, and find a nice safe bush…because of peepers, flashers and paedophiles rather than viruses.

3 Likes

With the lack of public toilets on roads in France I still do wee in the bushes on occasion :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tss tsss you keep a potty, loo roll, a 2 litre bottle of tapwater, some sopalin and and dog poo bags in your car and it doesn’t matter!
Take my word as a mother of 5 daughters :grin:

1 Like

I remember the days of taking a collapsible potty everywhere. Even on dog walks!

1 Like

A shewee certainly comes in handy.

1 Like

Personally I think the chinese had the right idea…maybe this has been abandoned now, but it struck me as a fuss free and practical solution when I was there in the 80’s

2 Likes

Are you referring to police officers?

? Sorry you may have to clarify?

Hmm, plod???

Then they (police) will get told they are not acting within the spirit of the law.
Just like the beginning of the pandemic when the Police in the uk were criticised from nearly every corner for trying to implement the rules

1 Like

Why risking in the first place then what is wrong about holidays in the Uk that a family have to go abroad during a pandemic can’t wait a year

Because they booked a holiday in December and the travel company won’t refund their money perhaps…

2 Likes

No no, most of them got to their knees, got stuck like that and got repainted as statues.

And perhaps they are key workers who worked through the pandemic and would like to visit their holiday home to recuperate

I don’t really understand your posts and there doesn’t seem to be any point to them, you aren’t either explaining yourself or making a point. This thread went over to other people who mainly seem to be nitpicking and looking for a quarrel so I’m not really interested either.
The first posts were a useful discussion and some of the usual humour but then it just went over to irrelevancy. If you’re bored, I’m not really the right person to hang round the neck of. I am sure you will be a more relevant part of any conversation when you can explain your posts and the point you want to make.

I understood the point Poppy was making

You have fun with that then.
I wouldn’t know what a post saying ‘Do you mean the police?’ etc was about, nor did she attempt to explain when she totally changed her post. To me it sounded like someone bored and looking to nitpick, I am not really up to being fodder for it, right now I am suffering traumatic stress triggered by the press articles about the IICSA and this topic, after a few posts became a kind of bizarre jumble that wasn’t relevant to my original post and I did ask the moderator to close this thread. Stella herself wasn’t happy with what was on here earlier, I wasn’t able to understand that but now I am not happy either.

I’m not bored, I asked a question in direct response to your post, that’s how it works but maybe you don’t follow that. So to explain you wrote the following

" No no, most of them got to their knees, got stuck like that and got repainted as statues."

I responded as a REPLY to that post “Are you referring to police officers” It’s quite simple and
I don’t understand why your subsequent replies are so confrontational and aggressive in response to a simple question and although you’ve written a lot in reply to my question I still don’t know whether you were referring to police officers. Oh and I didn’t change my post at all, you asked me to clarify so I repeated what you had written thinking the penny might drop, obviously my expectations were too high.

No idea, you’re living in a country which is foreign for you, maybe you understand their motivations for going abroad (weather, food, lifestyle) better than I do.

Speaking only for myself, the absence of congestion is very refreshing and ‘exotic’ . There is more space. Even Paris feels spacious and open.

People look and comport themselves differently, with an indefinable freedom and elegance. They are less fat and dishevelled, both sexes look as if they take care of their appearance. British people wear disgruntled and preoccupied expressions, heedless of others.

The worldscape is fascinating, the tree-lined avenues, the architecture and untitivated antiquity of so many buildings in towns and éven cities. The uniformity of public street architecture is alluring and reassuring. The food is good but only if one can afford it as most restaurant food I find overpriced and disapointing, but the bread and pastry is worth travelling for.

French service is always respectful, which makes a change from the Anglo-Saxon pseudo-gentility or haughtitiness, which jars with me, and the modern ‘metropolitan’ trend to jaunty matiness is something I crossed the channel to escape, and found respite here.

Lastly, children in France are skinny and healthy looking. English kids are uniformly Bunterish and blosted, which is very very disheartening and sad.