The Queen's Jubilee - A Time To Celebrate?

The daily mash has another pov

Great post, thank you.
Izzy x

Iā€™m so glad Iā€™m not The Queen

I can wander up the road and chat with all and sundryā€¦ and not worry about a 'naff photo in tomorrowā€™s Press or nasty comments about my accent or the fact that Iā€™ve still got my slippers onā€¦ :roll_eyes:

OH and I can stay indoors and not see a soul ā€¦ if we want toā€¦ not forced to go out and be bright and charming to all and sundryā€¦ especially ghastly when itā€™s with folk who we donā€™t actually like.
We can dash to the shopsā€¦ cinemaā€¦ restoā€¦ wherever takes our fancyā€¦ and just be US and not find ourselves plastered all over Social Media and criticized for this and thatā€¦
We have a private life and are free to do as we pleaseā€¦ hurrah.

I think The Queen has fulfilled her role admirably.

9 Likes

Well you donā€™t - but we have a group of French friends who do.

4 Likes

Just as well the dailymash admits itā€™s articles are all spoofā€¦ or I might have needed to respond. :roll_eyes: :wink:

3 Likes

Is that all the french then like the previous post.

rumour has it that the Queen often does (did) this incognito thing and was often not recognised at allā€¦

1 Like

5 Likes

I love to think she did manage it on occasionsā€¦
The point is that you/me/us-lot can do as we pleaseā€¦ when we pleaseā€¦ with no pressure, no ridicule, no nastinessā€¦ for The Queen life has never been that easy.

1 Like

on the contraryā€¦ she had led a privileged life and her status has seldom got in the wayā€¦

3 Likes

I suspect that I would never enjoy living life the way The Queen has to.
Likewise, I suspect you and I will never agree on this subjectā€¦ so letā€™s just agree to disagreeā€¦ :wink:
the sunā€™s shining again and allā€™s well with our small part of the worldā€¦
I can hear Little Owl screeching/bellowing to me, so Iā€™m off out to ā€œbellow backā€ā€¦ :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh dearā€¦ I donā€™t understand why you are taking your bat home since we basically agreeā€¦
The point I was making was that, out of the usual context, the Queen can mingle in full public view, visit shops and make purchases without people realising who she is - and has done so on numerous occasions.
(wanders off mutteringā€¦ ā€œIā€™ll never understand women as long as I liveā€)

1 Like

Oh Iā€™m being subjective of course and it is based on only my limited experience of the people with whom I have spoken/corresponded, but on the strength of having a British sounding name/hearing me speak English many of my concitoyens talk to me about the monarchy and while they have nothing but nice things to say about la reine, they see the monarchy qua institution as a quaint anachronism at best and a huge con-trick social disgrace at worst.

I hope the generalisation has been suitably qualified.

2 Likes

After what the French did to their last monarchā€¦?

1 Like

This can also be said for the tens of thousands of people who have been in the public eye at one time or another though, you donā€™t have to be royalty. I know of cases of ā€œcelebritiesā€ (I use the quotation as I hate that term so much) who didnā€™t leave their house for years because not being able to stand in line in Boots without the entire queue eyeballing your haemorrhoid medication and calling the papers or shouting your catchphrases from 30 years ago at you in the supermarket, or much worse for people who the papers portrayed or characters they played as ā€˜villainsā€™, the downside of their money and success was that it had a hugely debilitating effect on their life. Iā€™d argue that aside from terrorism and general maniacs the queen at least has been well liked so has barely had a bad word said to her from the public so is in somewhat a better position than the likes of soap actresses who have people (nutcases) shout ā€œslagā€ at them in the petrol queue because their character on tv had an affair or something.

It wouldnā€™t surprise me if until she got frail the queen had a pretty normal life in the villages and towns around where she lived, sure she couldnā€™t wander out and peruse the tat shops on Buckingham Palace Rd to find the nastiest gift for Donald Trumpā€™s state visits or such, but elsewhere Iā€™d imagine it was different, we just wonā€™t know unless the locals decide to blab once sheā€™s gone upstairs or such.

Back in the late 70ā€™s my work included several stints at Sandringham and when the Queen was in residence we were kept at a distance on the grounds of security and her privacy although I do know she freely moved around the local villages but always with people in attendance.

2 Likes

I would love to stay and chat some more but must get going, did I mention I am off to Buckinham Palace for Party at the Palace.
Latersā€¦

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: nothing to do with cricketā€¦ Iā€™ve been trying to get the laundry dry all morning, popping in and out between showersā€¦ and when Little Owl calls it means the rain wonā€™t be back for a whileā€¦ (not a lot of people know thatā€¦).

There are now at least 1000 socks on the line and they will hopefully dry before Little Owl has to go into hiding once againā€¦ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes!!

Iā€™ve currently got Party at the Palace on the TV. However, for the last hour, Ive been playing Led Zeppelin with the TV sound turned off. Itā€™s wonderful. Trampled underfoot, Bron-y-aur stomp and The rain song were particularly good.

1 Like