The refugee "problem"

Good one, @Bajen! :+1::smiley:

So immigrants that can afford buying a hole street in London ore buying a football club the are more than welcome but the people that really need safety they are not allowed to come in

2 Likes

If they are rich money launderers they donā€™t count as ā€˜immigrantsā€™.

But again, if you read my comment carefully you will see that what I actually said was that anybody in difficulties might have been acting irresponsibly - this in no way implies that all sailors have been.
Anyway - hereā€™s another developmentā€¦

Interesting statistic at the end:

In 2019, Germany registered 142,450 applications for asylum, France 119,915 and Greece 74,905, according to the European Asylum Support Office. The UK recorded 44,250 asylum requests.

1 Like

Appaarently we proposed a reciprocal arrangement so that we could send back any asylum claimant who reached the UK having passed through the EU and they could send back any asylum claimant who reached the EU having passed through the UK.

It seems that the EU managed to spot, and to point out that the former category is about 1000x as large as the latter.

Brexit is Brexit innit?

1 Like

It was your terminology ā€˜messing around in boatsā€™ that I found unpalatable.

@Jane_Williamson ā€œmessing around in boatsā€¦ unpalatableā€ā€¦

It has an exemplary pedigree, Janeā€¦ :innocent:

1 Like
1 Like

What on earth is objectionable about that phrase Jane?
I could understand it if I had applied it to refugees - who are generally desperate people forced to take extreme risks. To describe them as ā€˜messing around in boatsā€™ would have been reprehensible on many grounds - patronising, insensitive, inaccurate! But it is (as Peter and Graham have pointed out) a perfectly normal description for the activities of pleasure boaters and hobbyists.

2 Likes

This also reveals, I think, the continuing arrogance and historical ignorance of this UK brexiter government - for them Britain is a sovereign entity equivalent to what they see as the foreign sovereign - but inferior - entity of ā€˜the EUā€™ (whereas in fact of course the EU is an international body representing 27 sovereign entities).

The problem is that the Brexiteer interpretation of ā€œsovereignā€ borders on the anarchistic - we want to do whatever we like, whenever we like, to whomever we like.

They have no real notion of cooperation with other sovereign entities at all.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Yes, but it is not just pleasure boaters and hobbyists that rely upon the emergency services, as you must well know.

Interesting article in todayā€™s Daily Express

That seems pretty disingenuous since, if you read the article she seems to be referring to the slightly over 5k ā€œresettlementā€ refugees that the UK takes - odd to focus on one narrow area that isnā€™t even the majority of places that the UK offers (it is a bit over Ā¼)

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/immigration-statistics-year-ending-june-2019/how-many-people-do-we-grant-asylum-or-protection-to

You can guarantee that this is the focus of the claim because the UKā€™s 20k or so total palls into insignificance compared with the rest of Europe.

3 Likes

Of course - there are also refugees, for example!

2 Likes

You can always find statistics that support your viewpoint, the UK has the biggest immigrant numbers (as a percentage of its population) in Europe according to this -

Should the country willingly accept more migrants?

Those figures - apart from being old - are for ā€˜foreign-bornā€™ people - nothing much to do with refugees really. See Martin Ollsonā€™s previous comment:

So immigrants that can afford buying a whole street in London or buying a football club there are more than welcome, but the people that really need safety they are not allowed to come in.

1 Like

Most of them are not refugees at all allot of them are just immigrants economic immigrants and student immigrants allot of them are from your old colonies like Pakistan and India this are not refugees