The refugee "problem"

I have to admit that it is simply underhanded of those refugees moving to another country for a better life.

Worth repeating, perhaps, the 2019 figures from the European Asylum Support Office I gave earlier for genuine refugees:

• France (slightly smaller population than the UK) - 119,915 asylum requests;
  • UK - 44,250 asylum requests.

And my home country of Sweden took in 115,805 and the population of Sweden is 10 million so the United Kingdom and France are not taking in enough refugees even together

1 Like

The thing that people conveniently ignore is that refugees are immigrants.

Look Geof, I was brought up by the Irish Sea and my father had a boat which he converted from an ex naval pinnace. which and he used to sail to to Piel Island, the Isle of Man and Scotland and we used to trawl as well. She was a thirty footer with an inboard diesel and two masts.
She was moored by the fishing boats, men who went out into the Irish Sea, according to the tides, for their living.
Refugees are the concern of the Border Force and now the Navy and anyone who comes across them in the Channel, according to the Rules of the Sea.
Coastguard and RNLI are for other boats in trouble and, increasingly in these holiday months, townies who get into trouble by the sea.
If you cannot understand the difference, that is your problem.

Are you saying the RNLI should refuse to rescue people they think might be refugees Jane?

You know damn well I am not.
I referred to the Rules of the Sea, which I think you should look up before you post.
I have noticed that you have not mentioned anything to do with boats, other than those, ā€˜messing aboutā€™ in them, so I am presuming that you do not have any relevant experience.

Refugees and those in peril on the seasā€¦

Very emotiveā€¦ very distressingā€¦

Please can everyone calm downā€¦

cheers

3 Likes

Iā€™m very calm Stella - just trying my best to understand what Jane meant by ā€œRefugees are the concern of the Border Forceā€¦ RNLI are for other boats in troubleā€.
This seemed to me a pretty clear statement that the RNLI should refuse to rescue people they think might be refugees - obviously an abhorent point of view which I assumed was not really held by Jane - or anybody else - just an unfortunate implication of a quickly-typed response - but I thought it important to give Jane a chance to clarify that she did not hold any such view - which she now has.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not pointing fingersā€¦ at anyoneā€¦

Just asking everyoneā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I give up.

2 Likes

It is not surprising. Any one who does not agree with this appalling government is considered bad.

Blame everyone except themselvesā€¦

I have been reading this article and amazed how a couple of people keep quoting articles, (just because itā€™s in The Sun it must be true).
I am not going to say who I worked for but I have worked with the problem at close quarters, with some scenes that the press dare not show or been hushed up.
If people care to carefully check real and accurate facts they may develop a different opinion: Violence, Theft, Abuse, Women treated as second class citizens, disregard for authority, etc.

With a Doris Government waiving the rules, itā€™s little wonder that refugees are attracted to the UK :wink:

1 Like

Presumably Australia has had enough of our undesirables (though not we of theirs if Tony Abbottā€™s recent appointment is anything to go by).

2 Likes

gnome-shell-screenshot-FYYTR0

3 Likes