The SFN Interview!

Welcome to our first guest......drum roll...Suzanne Fitzgerald!!

What makes you happiest?

Spending time with my husband, we used to work together so were together remarkably almost 24 hours a day then after we had the children he had to go to work without me, our happiest times can be as simple as sitting around on a Sunday morning in our PJ's drinking coffee and putting the world to rights or thinking up our next potential big money making idea.

What is your guilty pleasure?

Chocolate... I think I'm an addict.

What is your earliest childhood memory?

For some strange reason my mind goes back to the new build 80's housing estate we lived on & playing in the garden.

What is your comfort food?

Heinz Beans with fresh authentic pas trop cuit French Bread & President Butter - sad isn't it...but you can't beat it.

What did you vote in the last elections?

To keep our current Maire in charge.

Cat or dog?

Dog but I do have a cat who won't be impressed by this confession.

What was your initial impression of France?

Ooh that goes back to my childhood, probably that the beaches were great, it was always hot (now know isn't true) and that the French always ate green beans in garlic with everything (also now know isn't true!)

What is your favourite place in the world?

My home

What did you dream about last?

Oh my, I can't believe you asked this...I'm one of those weird people that remembers their dreams and so I'll have to be honest. It was this morning about my husband falling out of the window whilst reading a book...he grabbed hold of the windowsill, tossed me the book & then fell again. I grabbed him but was worried I'd fall out of the window and that he was too heavy for me especially as I'm pregnant...at that point he locked the front door as he left for work & I woke up with a start... Now what does that say?!?

I'll never know if I dropped him or managed to help him back up...

What do you most despise?

Lazy people

What are you reading at the moment?

Oh dear, again I have to answer this & it's a bit embarrassing...it's a good book but it's a bit of a naff title..it's called Happy Kids Happy You and it's based on using NLP with your kids. Interesting stuff as I used to practice NLP at work and it was good stuff, I thought I'd try to use some of the techniques to get over the 'No I'm not doing x' with the 2 year old.

When and why did you last cry?

Probably last week when I woke up from another one of my weird pregnancy dreams.

What did you eat last night?

Meze & Fruit

What would you serve at your ‘perfect’ dinner party?

Entree - Asparagus Mousse

Fish - Definitely Lobster

Main - Venison

Cheese - Goats Cheese

Dessert - What else but a selection of chocolate delights?

Coffee - Strong & Dark

Wines to match each course recommended by the sommelier who accompanied the Chef who came to make this perfect meal for me :)

And who would you invite?

My hubby and a selection of good friends who we don't get to see enough of these days. No celebs I'm afraid...

Who was the first person you kissed?

Probably my mum! Well you never said romantically!

What did you do on your most memorable birthday?

Went for a walk on the beach in the South of France with friends (in November) it was lovely & hot.

Where did your partner propose?

In a turret of the Palais des Papes in Avignon - it was very romantic - I had absolutely no idea

What is your all time favourite film?

That Touch of Mink - Doris Day

Who or what has been the biggest influence on your life?

Moving to France changed our idea of what makes us happy, we realise that for us happiness is time together not where we can go on holiday or what colour of Farrow & Ball paint to redo the bathroom for the 3rd time in 5 years...(I'm joking of course) We took 3 months off working to enjoy a summer in France together and decided to start a family. That changed our life direction forever.

What has been your greatest achievement?

Leaving the security of an employer & working for myself. I've never looked back.

And biggest regret?

I didn't save more dosh earlier...

How would you like to be remembered?

A happy & fun person to be around

What was the last concert you saw?

Ah technically I didn't see it, but I did hear it... does that count? I bought tickets for Coldplay in Barcelona back in 2008, put them in hubby's backpack at work, arrived in Barcelona and asked where his backpack was...in his desk drawer. He'd decided to travel light. We stood outside & listened in the Olympic Park. That was the last one we will probably go to in a long time.

What has been the strangest thing you have ever done / done since you have been in France?

Given birth!

What would you do if you won the lottery?

Not tell anyone. Pop it in the bank and enjoy a nice life without any financial worries. I'd still want us to have our own business though to keep the old grey matter ticking over. Of course I'd discretely hit the 'Donate' button to Survive France.

What are you working on at the moment?

Having kids...

What is in / on your desk?

You've asked this before a long time ago & the answer is even more crap than back then...plus some more cat fur.

If you could be someone else, who would you be?

Not sure I want to be anyone else.

What would you do on a ‘perfect’ weekend?

Have a lovely day by the beach or walking in the vines then be wined & dined with my hubby (chef & sommelier would have been in to do all the cooking/prep & serving) whilst the kids slept happily.

What was the last thing you made?

Homemade wrapping paper, paint stamped with rockets, ladybirds & cupcakes... Orla Kiely eat your heart out.

What was the last thing you bought?

A Book on Rugby (it's a Christmas present)

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

At home

And after a bit of a break, the SFN interview is back! Today we are talking to Jeanette Leuers !

What makes you happiest?
*Any* message from my son/wife in Japan, tripping via tokyo to visit them, coffee and pizza in the pizza cafe by the zoo in Ueno, Tokyo, park, and the closing of the park muzak, as the sun goes down.

No guilt. I don’t do guilt. It achieves so little, costs too much.

Earliest childhood memory, from around 2 yeas old, & a bit before a blur of Fear (from family reactions) bombs and the siren. Arriving in a bomb shelter with my father.

A big mug of hot 'milk & a dash' , MacDs Caramel nut sundae.

Can’t remember. Too long ago.

Cat or dog?
Cats & dogs and parrot are my family, my dog lili always with me, we all eat together, always outside.

Long time ago, a visit to stay at Saumur, in a convent, silent order of nuns. Everything golden and quiet. The river Loire, in summer sunshine, Peace. Gentleness. Leafy, quiet lanes, big shuttered windows, birds.

Here, my house; is my favourite place for now, but it is far from my grandchildren, maybe my beach hut in japan. Very basic, very quiet.

I don’t know, can’t remember.

My own procrastination, when there are so many wonderful things I want to do.

I keep a stash of old favourites that gradually disintegrate, by over use, or damp neglect. Virginia Woolf, 'A Room of Ones Own' right now.

Can’t remember. Not into emotional stuff very much.

Nothing. Out of milk but in need of a cup of tea; drove a long way to the motorway service station for a hideously expensive litre. When dog and me got back, too late to eat. She had a can of dog food, cats shared it, under the stars.

What would you serve at your ‘perfect’ dinner party? And who would you invite?
Don’t do them now. Love solitude, would get someone else to cook or maybe do something very very easy. I have a few pals in USA I’d like to have to dinner on the terrace as the sun goes down. Doubt they’d want to come

President of the Students Union'. Before him a dire, soggy experience of being kissed, not kissing.

I don’t do birthdays.

Don’t like movies. Pride & prejudice? Colin Firth as D'arcy ? Was that a movie? Dont much like watching things on screens. Would be sick at the idea of going to a cinema - hey wait!! I did like the Liza Minelli movie, where she is a nightclub dancer at the Kit Kat klub in Berlin? What was that? (1970 something?) ''8 and a half',' and sGrease! So long ago, I forgot.

My granny, Jesus, Saint Francis, my mum, my pa, my pals in USA.

To do it all 'my way'! Bowing to nobody.
And biggest regret?
Regret like guilt, I don’t do. Can do no better than my best shot.

Probably as I think of myself, not as other people see me! Dunno. I don’t mind being forgotten, look at all those beautiful things (and awful things) you can see now (look thy last on all things lovely, every hour...etc Walter de la Mare) what happens to them? Does anyone remember? Doesn’t matter. Let me lie under some leaves & go to sleep.

Cant remember the name, Opera in Tokyo, very beautiful.

What has been the strangest thing you have ever done / done since you have been in France?
Everything seems strange, look where we are! Tiny specks moving around on a bigger speck. A mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam, whats underneath my feet? Whats above my head? Huge mysteries, ALL of it, and very nice too.

Can’t win the lottery, don’t buy any tickets. Someone gave me two lottery tickets for Xmas one year, but I don’t know how to find out if I won or not. Perhaps I’m a multi billionaire & don’t know it.

Got about 40 paintings and collages to work on at the moment, also prints for clients.

Big old pine table my only bit of furniture except for its bench. No desk. Always covered in mix of whatevers going on at the moment. Food / work / dogs things / paperwork etcetcetc.

Nobody, too risky, no one knows the heart of another person. Might be too dark.

Weekend is when me and dog do different things. Maybe a picnic by the big river, but mostly massive garden and earthworks. I’ve got a cliff that needs trees and fruit bushes ...I love that. My Forest Garden.

What was the last thing you made? What was the last thing you bought?
I make lots of Rocket Stoves, to cook my food, I love them, they run on twigs, I think of the dosh I am depriving the nuclear fuel co. But paintings are always being made. Last thing I bought - I litre of milk at the service station, before that - the joy of shopping at new tiny bio marché in farm very close by. Home made cream cheese.etc

Where would be your perfect place to live?
Divided between here and my beach hut in Japan. No mod cons in either one.

And we are starting the week by chatting to the very amazing Jacqui Webster...

What makes you happiest?

Seeing my kids happy and content (rarely happens)

Peanut M & M's

Hearing Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep on the radio

Stovies or Scotch broth (but they need to be made by my Mum)

Cat or dog?

Dog (but don't tell the cat!)

Quaint and just like every French film I had seen.

Fort William, Scotland

Never remember my dreams

Bigotry

Kathy Reichs - Death du jour

Watching Band of Brothers for the first time since David died and wishing he was here

Nothing. Wasn't hungry

Haggis parcels, Steak Pie with new potatoes and fresh veg, raspberries with whisky cream

My parents, my bestest friend and her man and Vin Diesel for me!

Stuart Grieg and it was horrible. Put me off for many years!

Stopped the house from burning down. Dad had left the sausages on when he went to get Mum from work. They came home to find me crying and my birthday tea scattered all over the grass!

Where did your partner propose?

On the War memorial at Taunton Parish church.

Star Wars. I'll never forget that Imperial Starcruiser coming over in the opening sequence.

My Dad

Giving my kids a carefree childhood - they have the same freedoms here that we had as kids

And biggest regret?

That their Dad won't be here to see them grow up into the formidable adults they will be.

As someone who could always be depended on.

Monsters of Rock, Donington Park, 1992

Had children. I never wanted them, always hated other peoples but I met David and the old biological clock went into overdrive!

Divide the money between me, my folks, my sister and my bestest mate. Moot point though since I don't do the lottery!

Gathering all the information I can to make a rational choice between staying in France or moving back to the UK.

Laptop, printer, paperwork, photo of the family, head lice treatment, a gold dragon and a bandage.

Kathy Reichs

Sit by the sea with a large coffee and a new book.

Porridge for the kids breakfast.

George R.R. Martin box set - A Song of Fire and Ice.

Fort William

How do you like to dress?

Casual. Jeans and T-shirt

What's your biggest complex?

My fat belly. It's all those M & M's!

What season do you prefer?

Spring - the time of rebirth

I've just read through the interviews so far and they've restored my faith in people who live in France and are enjoying the daily journey. Thank you.XX

After a bit of a pause, sorry folks, but I have been remarkably busy, we welcome our next guest John Axon.....

What makes you happiest?

Waking up in the morning at may age.

In France buying a Mars bar

Parental fights

Red wine

Conservative

Cat or dog?

Dog

Why couldnt we go on a package tour instead Dad?

En route to anywhere

Never aware of having a dream

Bullies

Dude Thats a lot of blood, Jill Gilbert

About 4 years ago when daughter first spoke about her problems

Chillied pasta meat and veg (home made)

Pasta cheese vegetables ( a John recipie)

Lewis Hamilton, Ceaser Milan, Winston Churchill, Issac Newton and John Wayne

Annette

Came second in a 60 mile hill race

Where did you propose? Where did your partner propose?

Cant remember either time!

Saving Private Ryan/ Missing in America

Me

Surviving France given the start point

And biggest regret?

Not joining the Army

He ended up a good dad

Billy Joel 15 years or so after I bought the ticket (he cancelled the gig and the next time he was in the UK was about 3 years ago so went then)

It seems the list is long but nothing I do seems strange to me, but possibly being on stage at the Moulin Rouge Paris in 1998 is up there

Get pissed, give a lot away, follow the orange ball in the sky and go to every F1 race for a season. Then make it work, thats assuming you mean a big win, I normally buy a beer.

The first million

A load of paper work that wont go away, a few tools and a broken sat nav.

Mick Jagger

Go for a long run if i was able, lunch with kids and friends, and chat

Love

Mistibushi L200 Pickup

Austrailia or Canada neither of which will let me in

How do you like to dress?

Any old rags - have no interest in clothes

What's your biggest complex?

Public speaking when I have to sell my self

Is religion important to you?

Not at all, other than when people hide behind it in the name of war

What season do you prefer?

Summer

Do you believe in Astrology and do you read your Horoscope?

No and yes if I see them in a paper

I must say that Suzanne you sound like a completely rounded and happy being who has got the life she really wants..

love these interviews!

And this misty Thursday morning we are talking to Lynn Stone

What makes you happiest? Corny, but my life here with husband, Ron. I couldn’t be happier.

What is your guilty pleasure? Putting on a Daniel Beddingfield CD and Crisps – I love them and however big the bag it is eaten in minutes!

What is your earliest childhood memory? My first day at school, we seemed to walk miles to get there and I’d had enough by lunchtime!

What is your comfort food? Big Bowl of Pasta and homemade pesto!

What did you vote in the last elections? Our maire is our next door neighbour, so I’ll leave you to guess!

Cat or dog? No question, CAT, they are so intelligent and it is an honour that they choose to live with me!

What was your initial impression of France? It is so vast and such friendly people. We’ve always encountered really kind people here in France; it’s why we still love it!

What is your favourite place in the world? Where we live, I have no desire to be anywhere else.

What did you dream about last? A cat with long curly hair that turned out to be noodles! – I’m obsessed!!!

What do you most despise? People who don’t take responsibility for their animals.

What are you reading at the moment? Casper the commuting cat – told you, obsessed!

When and why did you last cry? This summer when my daughter left home to move into her own apartment.

What did you eat last night? Hubbie did wonderful Mexican Fajitas, with home grown hot chillis.

What would you serve at your ‘perfect’ dinner party? Starter - onion soup with melted cheesy toasts, then I have a great recipe for chicken pie with leeks and mushrooms, , finished with crepes topped with coconut ice-cream and hot chocolate sauce (no wonder I can’t lose weight!!)

And who would you invite? Too many! I have a very large family, some who I haven’t seen for ages and who I’d love to meet the super friends we’ve made here.

Who was the first person you kissed? Now that would be telling and much too far back to remember or at least confess about!

What did you do on your most memorable birthday? My 40th, we had been in France for just 3 years so we invited all the locals and friends we’d made. It was a lovely hot August day and it was to me a great ‘acceptance’ of our living in France. I was really touched by the local people who came and offered help with food, tables and chairs etc, it was like we’d lived here forever.

Where did you propose? Where did your partner propose? We’d been together for a few years, so, (whisper) in the bedroom!

What is your all time favourite film? Good Question, I’m not a telly or film fanatic but Disney’s Fantasia still fascinates me, and I love the car chase in the first ’Italian Job’

Who or what has been the biggest influence on your life? My Dad, he bought me up to believe in myself and that I can achieve anything if I really want to.

What has been your greatest achievement? Honestly, I’ve had some sadness’s in my life along with many achievements. Every day that passes brings more achievements in many ways, however large or small. A short list would be,;
Passing with the highest distinction Business and finance management HND
Setting up my own business only 6 months after having our first child.
Making that business a success.
Taking the decision and moving to France
Setting up a cat charity in France and more recently,
Gaining distinction in the exams and becoming a qualified Cat behaviourist.

And biggest regret? I don’t see the point in living on regrets, make the most of what you have and how you’ve made it and I’m sure many would be much happier. If not, do something about changing it!

How would you like to be remembered? As a happy person who made a difference to Cat welfare in France.

What was the last concert you saw? We go to many local events with fantastic Blues bands but one that sticks in my mind, in my teens I went to see Adam and the Ants. The whole spectacle and props were amazing!

What has been the strangest thing you have ever done / done since you have been in France? At a meeting organising the end of school fete, no one seemed to be offering to help clean the moules, so in my ignorance I put hubbie and my names down. What a thankless task! Peeling and scraping moules for 200 odd people!! Very strange and NEVER again!

What would you do if you won the lottery? Very sad person, but I’d set up animal hospitals where people could get their pets treated and neutered for little or no cost.

What are you working on at the moment? Improving the knowledge of cat needs, either with individuals, school groups or in communes with mairies.

What is in / on your desk? You’ll be surprised at this one, Cat magazines!

If you could be someone else, who would you be? In no way conceited (I hope) but I really am happy with me!

What would you do on a ‘perfect’ weekend? Get in our Solar Yellow Lotus Elise and go for a long weekend’s drive where there are no speed limits. I love night driving!

What was the last thing you made? Recently at our vet’s house, hubbie bumped his head (not for the first time and his fault!) on an overhanging roof ledge! So I made a long wooden hanging painted in bright colours with all sorts of animals on. Now he has no excuse that he didn’t see it!

What was the last thing you bought? We’ve just renewed some furniture that I’d been hankering after for a while, so lovely made-made round light oak dining table and matching buffet unit, generally fits our house better than the ‘fine’ dark mahogany UK stuff we bought with us.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? I'm happy here.

How do you like to dress? I’d like to be more elegant and be able to carry off more styles.

What's your biggest complex? I’d love to lose weight!

Is religion important to you? No, quite the opposite, I believe it is the route of most of the world’s problems.

What season do you prefer? I love spring with the excitement of what the summer holds. But then I adore the autumn colours and the freshness of winter.

Do you believe in Astrology and do you read your Horoscope? I don’t believe it but I do sneak a curious glance. I do know that as a Virgo, my characteristics are true to description.

Today's guest is.......Stuart Wilson

What makes you happiest? Family and Friends

What is your guilty pleasure? I don't feel guilty about any of my pleasures, apart from maybe too much Whisky and Wine.

What is your earliest childhood memory? Being in isolation for several months and having injections every morning for TB, I think I was 4.

What is your comfort food? Vesta Chow Mein.

What did you vote in the last elections? Haven't applied for vote in UK and can't in France, otherwise it would be socialist.

Cat or dog? Love them both but probably Cat.

What was your initial impression of France? Frightening, but loved it, but then again, it was one of the best periods of my life, work wise.

What is your favourite place in the world? The Lake District.

What did you dream about last? Work...aaaggh.

What do you most despise? Plagiarism.

What are you reading at the moment? This list. Otherwise, nothing much other than magazines.

When and why did you last cry? Couple of weeks ago. Couple of reasons.

What did you eat last night? Tartiflette.

What would you serve at your ‘perfect’ dinner party? Œuf à la Norvégienne. (Poached smoked salmon, poached egg, on a bed of salad with a chive sauce) Magret in a peach sauce. Don't know what with though. Strawberries and whipped cream with homemade biscuits.

And who would you invite? Anyone who can tell me what they prefer with Magret.

Who was the first person you kissed? Belinda. She was 14, I was 16, she was gorgeous. She's a lesbian now I believe. There are two ways to look at that. I prefer to think she was convinced she would never find better in a boy.

What did you do on your most memorable birthday? Walked from Carlisle to Caldbeck (just over 13 miles of lovely countryside) with around twenty colleagues for my 4Oth.

Where did you propose? Which one?

What is your all time favourite film? Hmmm difficult , but Deliverance has to come close. Or if it's comedy; a short film called Dinner for One.

Who or what has been the biggest influence on your life? Without a doubt, Nathalie and an inspiration.

What has been your greatest achievement? Is it an achievement to give bone marrow and save someone's life if only for a while? (My Bro RIP)

And biggest regret? I regret too many things. I probably shouldn't.

How would you like to be remembered? For being someone who cared.

What was the last concert you saw? Greenday.

What has been the strangest thing you have ever done / done since you have been in France? Set fire to myself in a drunken stupor.

What would you do if you won the lottery? Travel the world have a nice home, make sure we have enough to enjoy ourselves and set the boys up for life.

What are you working on at the moment? Couple of woodworking projects.

What is in / on your desk? Laptop, additional screen, Xbox controller, headphones.

If you could be someone else, who would you be? Nobody.

What would you do on a ‘perfect’ weekend? Win the lottery!!

What was the last thing you made? Barrier for the decking.

What was the last thing you bought? 4 new tyres and brake pads.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? I'd like to have a lovely cottage in the Lake District and a nice house by the sea in SW France and share my time between both.

Our special guest today is Claire Owen

What makes you happiest? A pot of Tea & my family, I'm a simple soul really.

What is your guilty pleasure? Playing spider solitaire when I should be working!! I'm very fast at collapsing the window on that one.

What is your earliest childhood memory? Playing in an empty sideboard with my sister,I think I was 3 or 4 my Mum & dad still have the sideboard I look at it with great affection. Somewhere there is a picture of me peeking out of the cupboard part of it which has probably reinforced the memory.

What is your comfort food? At the moment I'm munching fish sticks when ever I need a comfort food but given half a chance it's salt & vinegar crisps when I can get my hands on them. Things have improved in France now and carrefour have started making them , but they aren't good for my thighs!

What did you vote in the last elections? Missed the last local elections as I nearly always end up working on a Sunday, The last time I voted it was the European ones.

Cat or dog? I love Dogs but I am far too lazy to look after one so We have 3 black cats, it's the witch in me I think.

What was your initial impression of France? Big and just the way I imagined it from books & films.

What is your favourite place in the world? Somewhere warm with my family nearby, not a real place more of an ideal place.

What did you dream about last? Not a clue, The last dream I remember was a very frustrating dream involving my sister and I unloading a suitcase onto a conveyor belt that was working backwards. Woke up stressed hence I remember it so vividly.

What do you most despise? Liars.

What are you reading at the moment? The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint, terrific book I'm really enjoying it. I did stop reading that yesterday to have a first read through of a new book (last night)I had for my birthday It's Metric pattern cutting for babies & children which is going to be such a great help and is so well explained.

When and why did you last cry? Not sure probably at a soppy program, Oh yes now I know, I watched In her shoes and had a tears moment about 10 days ago.

What did you eat last night? Chinese Chilli prawns with noodles, lovely.

What would you serve at your ‘perfect’ dinner party? I don't have a specific menu,but it would probably involve a lot of fish.

And who would you invite? My family.

Who was the first person you kissed? a really gross boy at school I thought he was ok but in retrospect !Yuk.

What did you do on your most memorable birthday? My 40th. Took our sons to the orthodontist then went shopping for the ingredients for a lovely fish dinner. My brother & sister in law were over staying at the time. When we got back my parents were sitting on the doorstep as a surprise. Great day and lovely family meal, just missed my sister.

Where did you propose? I don't ever remember him proposing we just knew we were going to get married.

What is your all time favourite film? Difficult question, I can narrow it down to The colour Purple, Back to the Future or the Godfather. I know, mad mix, see why I can't chose.

Who or what has been the biggest influence on your life? My family definitely. No one person but a combination of all their good and bad points/ attitudes/opinions helps me work out my own way to deal with life.

What has been your greatest achievement? Don't ask me? staying calm when I want to loose it!

And biggest regret? Loosing my rag big time in a very inappropriate way with a bad consequence for everyone in my immediate area at that time.

How would you like to be remembered? as a good person to know.

What was the last concert you saw? Saw a dodgy concert at Mirande Country Festival this July. Naff music but bopped about a bit.

What has been the strangest thing you have ever done / done since you have been in France? Skinned a goat and dug up a septic tank.

What would you do if you won the lottery? I wouldn't win as I won't do it but if I came into money I would be very quiet about it.

What are you working on at the moment? Small reversible dresses and reversible dungarees, they are cut out but should be sewn up before tomorrow. Also supposed to be doing the accounts for both our businesses but as you can tell I'm not. I'm scouting the net for an apartment for No.1 son for January. In my head I'm planning a new design of reversible hat for the winter stall, and finally I have a couple of thousand of our marble statues to get polished before the end of Oct so life is as per normal.

What is in / on your desk? Loads of bits of paper a couple of unpaid bills and a lot of dust.

If you could be someone else, who would you be? No I think I like being me.

What would you do on a ‘perfect’ weekend? Read a lot and have someone bring me pots of tea and make tasty snacks.

What was the last thing you made? This morning, it was a statue of a dog.

What was the last thing you bought? Yesterday - a pair of shoes for my husband.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? If I didn't have to worry about getting to work or getting to where I wanted to go i.e. if I had a tardis or a star trek beam to take me instantly to where I needed to be, it would probably be Barbados or somewhere warm like that. On a more practical level somewhere warm but near my family.

And our special guest today is.....Tracy Thurling

What makes you happiest? Watching my kids laugh - I'm not a kiddy kind of person and it therefore amazes me that it can make me so happy (and all fuzzy inside)

What is your guilty pleasure? Has to be English chocolate, either with a glass of wine in the evening or with a cup of PG Tips in the daytime. If I can be reading for pleasure at the same time so much the better.

What is your comfort food? Veggie pasta.

What did you vote in the last elections? Am currently disenfranchised - no longer allowed to vote in the UK and not entitled in France! I don't count local and European elections, it is France that counts. It's why, when I have a bit more time I will apply for nationality.

Cat or dog? Definitely cat.

What was your initial impression of France? Strange food, strange language, how on earth am I going to manage?

What is your favourite place in the world? To live? It's here. To holiday, it's anywhere different, somewhere to explore different cultures and things to do, so long as it's not too energetic.

What do you most despise? Lies and liars .

What are you reading at the moment? Lots of books about Burgundy and it's wines.

When and why did you last cry? Last week when I walked out of my job, fortunately they understood it was the situation I was walking away from, not my career.

What did you eat last night? Sardines on the BBQ - in October.

Nibbles - Smoked salmon on little blignys with Crement
Starter - Scallops With Puligny Montrachet
Main - Souris of lamb with garlicy green beens and dauphinoise potatoes with Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru
No cheese - I hate cheese
Dessert - Creme Brulée with more Crement
To finish a great big Baileys instead of coffee (I don't like coffee either)

And who would you invite? My husband, my best friend and her husband to be .

What did you do on your most memorable birthday? I spent my 40th in hospital with my baby, who was sick (it was Christmas as well)

Where did your partner propose? In bed - not the most romantic but totally of the cuff.

What is your all time favourite film? Pretty Woman.

Who or what has been the biggest influence on your life? My dad and myself.

What has been your greatest achievement? Having my children.

And biggest regret? Life is too short to have regrets. It is better to regret the things you have done, than the things you haven't done. Having said that, there are some things that I would do differently given the opportunity.

What was the last concert you saw? That's terrible, it was so long ago I can't remember. But in my heyday I saw Pink Floyd, Queen, Meat Loaf, Status Quo and AC/DC.

What has been the strangest thing you have ever done / done since you have been in France? Like Suzanne, given birth. I don't have anything to compare it with but it really is the most bizarre experience, totally taken out of your hands. I read all about it in British magazines, books etc but the mum to be (although I love the phrase 'jeune maman', at the ages of 39 and 41 it really is flattering) has no say in what goes on at all. The French have not heard of the 'birth plan' concept at all.

What would you do if you won the lottery? Pay off all our debts, the same to all my family and give loads to charity. I'd love a passive hause and I'd never live in a renovation again.

What are you working on at the moment? Growing my business so I can give up my job on the 1st of May next year.

What is in / on your desk? Far too much crap.

If you could be someone else, who would you be? I love being me, however I'd like to be a more organised, calmer, thinner me. Bit richer would be handy as well.

What would you do on a ‘perfect’ weekend? Absolutely nothing. You have to be a harassed, working mum, running your own business to appreciate how wonderful that would be. So that includes quite a lot of SFN members then.

What was the last thing you made? Dinner, anything else is just far too practical or creative.

What was the last thing you bought? A pain aux raisins for breakfast - that I did not get to eat until teatime, ummm.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Here - but in a finished house :-0

This is super fun and most interesting. By reading these interviews you get to know people behind names even better.

We certainly realise how important family is to us don't we?

And today, on SFN we have.....James Burton!

What makes you happiest? Simple, being with my children. I love their innocence and their total wonder for the world around them. Nothing gives me more pleasure that escaping into their world for an hour or two.

What is your guilty pleasure? Spending far too long on Youtube watching very bad music videos from very unfashionable singers. Ssshhh don’t tell anyone.

What is your earliest childhood memory? Sitting in a big cardboard box ‘bus’ with my brothers. We put the dining table chairs in it as seats and had a round dairylee box as the lights.

What is your comfort food? Any type of sweets – I need a lot of comforting.

What did you vote in the last elections? Conservatives, always have.

Cat or dog? Neither, though if life depended on it a dog.

What was your initial impression of France? It was just like the UK, though with a mass of in-laws. It was instant love.

What is your favourite place in the world? The Elephant Corridor hotel in the Sri Lankan countryside. Have many happy memories of this place, pure luxury.

What did you dream of last night? I had a dream about an aeroplane flying over me and then crashing somewhere out of my sight. I have this dream about once a week. What does it mean?

What do you most despise? People who try and put me down.

What are you reading at the moment? F*** It – it’s a book about good living.

When and why did you last cry? This would have been when I had a session with a medium, being told that my mum was behind me and wanting to hug me (I needed a hug).

What did you eat last night? Scallops in a chilli and lime dressing.

What would you serve at your perfect diner party? Foir Gras, Scallops in chilli, Veal, Ice cream and cheese.

And who would you invite? My wife (Best person), four in-laws (fab people), best mate (always there), nurse from work (amazing lady), good friends from France (good decent people). A large group all mucking in and putting the world to rights.

Who was the first person you kissed? Lucci King – first puppy love

What did you do on your most memorable birthday? My 30th, in-laws sent my wife and I away for a child free night. The babies were months old and never slept so this was the very best thing I have ever done.

Where did you propose? I took Sylvie on a long weekend away; each stage was preceded with a seal envelope detailing our next move. We went to lots of places where Sylvie lived when she first came to the UK, stayed in some fab hotels etc. We ended up in a lovely cottage in the Cotswolds and the last envelope simply said “Will you marry me”. Sylvie has all the envelopes and letters to treasure forever.

What is your all time favourite film? The original musical version of Oliver.

Who has been the biggest influence on your life? My late mother – she started me out on the right path and now I try to honour her by continuing her good work.

What has been your greatest achievement? Surviving twins!!! In all seriousness the last few years has been so tough and getting through IVF, Twins, Premature births, Disable child, Bullying and depression.

Biggest regret? Not getting to know my mother more before she died.

How would you like to be remembered? With a smile, someone who tried to do the right thing and made people smile along the way.

What was the last concert you saw? Prince at the O2 – he was amazing.

What has been the strangest thing you have ever done since you have been in France? Dressed in my sister in laws bra and danced around at her wedding (it was some strange show her family put on).

What would you do if you won the lotto? Quit work and tell people what they did to me. Then fly off to Necker Island for a month to relax with my family. Then return to France and build my own house and be on Grand Designs.

What are you working on at the moment? Work wise I am building some reports, personal work wise I am building a couple of websites.

What is on your desk? Two laptops, two mobile phones, two cups (Tea and Coke), car keys, Mini cheddars, mouse, expense receipts, note book and pen.

If you could be someone else who would you be? The French singer Benebar while he plays a packed sell out concert.

What would you do on a perfect weekend? Have a lie in for as long as I wanted (kids could be with Granny), have a coffee in the local coffee shop overlooking the river, spend the afternoon with the kids at the local farm, dinner would be in a restaurant in London with Friends followed by a show. Sleep would be child free and then Sunday would be spent Scuba Diving in the Maldives before heading to the local pub for a traditional pub lunch.

What was the last thing you made? Cookies with the children, the ones where you put a boiled sweet in the middle to make ‘glass’.

What was the last thing you brought? New shoes for Loann, Dinosaur ones.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Havana, Cuba – Love it.

And today we are talking to Karen Sweeting

What makes you happiest?
Being healthy

A nice malt

Seeing angels hanging from the sky when going to visit my great grandpa and arriving to find that he had died

Sausage and Mash and beans

I didn’t vote

Cat or dog?
Cat (but have two dogs also)

Large

Vancouver Island

Winning the Rome Marathon - ha ha ha!

Lies
Mark Mills - house of the hanged

Can’t recall, but usually when reading or watching something sad

Chicken curry and rice

Home made soup, rogan josh and rice, cheese, fruit brulle

My husband, best mate and ex boss

Can’t remember, but probably any good looking boy in my class…!

Went to Singapore as a surprise last year for my 50th

Where did you propose?
I wrote in the Times Valentine section as it was a leap year and girls are allowed to do that!

Jackie Brown, closely followed by Pretty Woman…sad I know

Having breast cancer and (hopefully) beating it

Running the Great South Run whilst undergoing chemo and raising thousands for charity

And biggest regret?
That I didn’t meet my husband sooner

As being a good and honest person

Local ones in our Salle de Fete, but the BIG one was George Michael two years ago

I’m not brave enough to do strange things!

Spend…

Tiling our kitchen

Laptop, in/out tray, diary, lamp, jotter

Just me

Cuddle up to my hubby in our bed with the paper

Curry last night,

Cement
Here