The Ukraine situation, where will it end?

This seems fairly clear.

Would you let the Ukraine apply to join the EU as is currently planned?

As far as I am concerned, why not?
But of course I am not Putin.

You have introduced an economic element into the discussion, which may or may not be relevant.

Nobody on this forum has suggested that.

"It is not that the crimes/mistakes of the United States and other western nations has invalidated their attempts, it is that the the crimes/mistakes of the United States and other western nations, to a large extent, has brought us here. "

I would say that John has been fairly consistent in his suggestions that the west has brought us here in this thread.

3 Likes

Yup, as I quoted and was conveniently ignored :yum:

1 Like

Give me a break :joy:

I would loved to but you’ve been awfully grumpy lately :yum::wink::smiling_face::laughing:

1 Like

There is no pleasure in any of this. However IMHO the default position for decades has been the US (and poodle UK) good, Russkies (or whoever) bad. I guess it may have been an overdose of John Wayne at an impressionable age that did it. Well after Iraq I don’t buy that anymore.

Therefore, as we slide nearer and nearer to a dreadful, unnecessary conflict and we are bombarded with only one side of the argument, I think it behoves us to remember that those we trusted with preventing this, our leaders, NATO, the UN have failed.

1 Like

War does that to me :slightly_frowning_face: So do lying bastards (ie Johnson). I guess I was happier when I was too busy to notice the shit that goes down, but now I can see it, it makes me mad as hell, as Peter Finch would say.

None of this, no less than Brexit was necessary.

1 Like

Brexit was of course part of Putin’s masterplan. It turned out to be a worthwhile investment for him.

1 Like

Of course it did, conquer or divide :wink:

There are two separate issues - the country and it’s leader. The behaviour of the latter leads to distrust of the former.

1 Like

As we saw with Bush in Iraq and Trump in general Tim when there’s a nutcase is charge the US is very, very dangerous. When there isn’t a nutcase in charge it’s just dangerous.

While your concentrating on those nutcases as you call them in the US, the one leading Russia makes them look like snow-white.
The only thing Putin wants is appeasement, because there was very little happened when he anexed Crimea, so now he thinks the same will happen with Ukraine and there will just be a lot of Sabre rattling again, if he gets away with this none of the old Soviet era breakaway countries will be safe from him.
If he does get his way this time then at some point there will be a full scale war in Europe, eventually his ego expansion trip has to be stopped, better now than later on when he thinks he is even more invulnerable than he thinks he is just now.

1 Like

Not if you lived in Bagdad, Mosel, Basra etc. etc . it doesn’t. I guess the short memory of the public is a key factor in politicians getting away with all sorts of bad behaviour.

I know I keep asking this but what does a European territorial dispute currently have to do with the US.

I was a bit on the inside in Iraq and the carve-up of energy resources was shameful.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with my memory John, I lost two cousins in Afghanistan and Iraq and worked in the area.

1 Like

IMO Karen, we really don’t have a clue what’s going on most of the time. We’re bombarded with “messaging” and propaganda and it’s increasingly difficult to believe any of it. I think that political lying has just become more blatant. Politicians look us in the eye and lie to us then dare us to refute their lies, which is pretty difficult to do. For example, IDS wrote an article in the Telegraph on Sunday which was a tissue of lies denigrating the NIP which he voted for and which was part of the oven ready deal negotiated and signed into international law by Johnson. If people swallow this bullshit, they’ll swallow anything.

I’m sorry to hear that, but given that, how do you believe anything that comes out of the US?

Nope, I mostly think if any politicians mouth is moving it will mostly be bullshit or lies, but many profession’s are like that from teachers, lawyers to bankers.