The Ukraine situation, where will it end?

Just back from holiday and no time to read the whole thread - but wondering if anyone to date has linked this interesting account:

Very refreshing to read anything current in English that even tries to look at both sides - especially with regard to the 2014 ‘coup’ and the US role in it. (I’ve just come back from the UK - having failed to completely avoid the superficial reporting there!)

2 Likes

You’ve consistently focused on the US and the UK but the EU are fully committed to coming to the aid of the Ukraine whilst also being front and centre in trying to find a diplomatic solution and reasoning with Putin, the result has been public humiliation for the likes of Macron and despair across the continent. The only lesson to be learnt is that you can’t reason with the man.

1 Like

An excellent article.
I was unaware of the 2014 ‘coup’ and its ramifications.

The following article explores the 2014 coup in greater depth:

This on the 2015 Minsk agreement that has not yet been fully implemented:

1 Like

Rubbish Tim :slightly_smiling_face:

Macron went to Moscow and Putin treated him like ****, to make matters more humiliating Putin called him to say ‘Hi Manu, thought I better let you know in advance I’m about to recognise the dissident Ukraine provinces, see ya’, this came a day after Macron proudly announced he had organised a summit between Putin and Biden as long Russia didn’t invade.

1 Like

I think you are mixing him up with the treatment of Ms. Cheese Truss, or their dismissal of the liar Johnson Tim. Maybe that hasn’t been reported in the Mail.

So this is all made up then, as is the demand that Macron take a Covid test when he got to Moscow and the bizarre social distancing?

Don’t read the Mail but was aware of Lavrov’s pi**taking after the Truss meeting.

1 Like

Macron seems to be one of the few leaders that have so far come out of the crisis with any credit.

However…

1 Like

The French view -

You know Tim, you are like a dog with a bone, as my old Mum would have said :joy:

If it wasn’t looking good before, its a whole lot worse this morning

Macron took it upon himself to negotiate with Putin on Europe’s behalf and unfortunately it proved to be pointless, I don’t blame him for trying but it was a personal political gamble.

1 Like

Covid was an unknown enemy which generally the world is getting to grips with.
On the other hand Putin is well known and seems to think that outside Russia everyone is his enemy.
Reading of his threats, whatever that content might be if anyone interferes with his plans, leaves me thinking that Covid was and is nothing when compared to what Putin might do with the nuclear power he has at his disposal.

I do think that Vlad the pute has gone a bit bonkers, not much he has said recently makes any sense and just isnt true. Maybe he is Boris’ long lost twin - the names fit😉

The situation is worse than we think…

Can’t understand why it is so important that Ukraine should be allowed to join NATO as we don’t need to ask what White House response would be if Mexico decided to join Russian equivalent. Think back to Cuban Missile crisis.
HOWEVER that is no excuse for Putin’s actions today. Invading a neighbouring country can never be justified in the 21st century world.

Good time to slip out bad news (from Johnson’s perspective) on Partygate!
Already had the generals bemoaning lack of military spending over many years and demanding substantial uplift…straight out of the NHS and Teacher’s play books.
And Bish of Cant’ already on Beeb so they are up to speed.
Will put pressure on all European countries because of commercial relations with Russia.
Will Chelsea football club to be nationalised given its Russian money.

1 Like

So which country will be next on his domination list , he is going to have to be stopped at some point, we cannot keep looking the other way, Sabre rattling and using sanctions to stop him does not obviously work.
Ukrainian formally independent now part of Putin’s new USSR :rage:

Baltic states next, then Poland.

Putin knows the West will not retaliate militarily - with a megalomaniac in charge of the nuclear arsenal it would be suicide to do so - so he will reconstruct the USSR as he remembers it.

The ‘safest’ way out of this is for him to be removed from the word stage - permanently and decisively - by means of Special Forces, regardless of sovereign territory or the niceties of diplomatic means.

The stakes are too high - shoot now, ask questions later…

1 Like

Its never been on NATO’s agenda (AFAIK🤔)