The weather!

I know, I know! It’s ‘so British’ to be discussing the weather but with rain and storms forecast for the foreseeable future chez nous, I’m wondering if we’re all in the same boat (!) or if it is just particularly grim round here?

If it carries on like this it is going to be a long and unpleasant winter…

4 Likes

Strong winds from Storm Ciarán expected in Brittany - thankfully we are travelling Friday so the worst should have blown through the channel by then. I guess those literally on a Brittany Ferries boat tonight (only the Santander sailings seem to have been cancelled) probably won’t have a fun crossing.

Fingers crossed we don’t suffer too much damage.

2 Likes

Ghastly around us… French neighbours are fed up, but insisting it’s Engleeesh Wethaaar… therefore we Engleesh must be enjoying it (huh)

Logs are blazing… and we’re huddling.

2 Likes

It’s not been nice in 72 for the last 10 days, pouring rain, thunderstorms and then sunshine.
I am hoping that we get a couple of days sunshine so I can get the grass cut, the two wells levels are about 8" above were they usually are at this time of year.

2 Likes

Not particularly nice here in 17 but the rain has made some of our raspberries regrow after their premature death during summer. OH started picking them again yesterday!

1 Like

Rainbow weather here, not particularly cold, quite windy but MUCH better than when I drove down from Germany on Sunday.

3 Likes

Rain, wind, enveloping wetness here in the East. Ugh. We have cracked and put the heating on.

1 Like

North Charente (16), border Haute Vienne.
Rain at long last. Fields and lawns are green again and the Lakes are filling up. It was a long dry spell and our farming neighbors are more than happy.
Grumbling only that it could perhaps rain at night so they can get on with the dayjob.
Friends lost one tree to last weekends stormy nights and another (leaning) might come down tonight.
Fires are on in the evenings, but it is not cold enough to fire up the central heating…
Taking the enforced ‘house arrest’ today to batch cook Ragu on the woodburner.

1 Like

We’re most certainly battening down the hatches here in Normandie. La Manche (50) is on red alert for tomorrow, in adjacent Calvados (14) we’re on Orange, but we’re so close to 50 that we can see it.
All outdoor furniture is put away, plant pots rounded up to a safe corner, wind bracing fitted to the tonnelle de jardin, vehicles parked in sheltered places, fingers are crossed.

2 Likes

SE Charente, near to 87 Haute Vienne and 24 Dordogne.

Constant rain for at least 2 weeks now, grey and windy.
One large pond has overflowed, parts of the garden saturated and under 2" of water.
Turned the CH on to cheer ourselves up!

Anticipating a miserable winter.

1 Like

@Badger has perfectly described both our situation, and precautions taken, over to the East of Normandy, in Seine Maritime (76). We are braced for the worst, ahead of Storm Ciaran overnight. I will not probably sleep a wink tonight, worrying over what might be happening outside in those 115kph gusts. We are within 250m of the forest, hopefully just far enough away if any of the mature beech succumb, hopefully not - for them and us…

2 Likes

We are, unfortunately right in the middle of la Manche and are expecting extremely high winds tonoigh and tomorrow morning. We’ve been spending the afternoon battening down the hatches because we aren’t sufficiently far inland/south to escape much if any of it.

1 Like

Hope all works out well for everyone up in the north west of France, it’s going to be very wild tonight :pray:. We will only get the tail end of storm Ciarán down here.

2 Likes

I’m finding recent threads all very British around here at the moment and majority not about surviving or living or loving France

Probably a little further from the coast than @AngelaR and close to the Manche/Calvados border @Badger but still got red wind warnings for tonight (probably our first real storm since moving here).
My brother lives on the west Sussex coast and sent me this this morning

Dont know why it posted twice. But to join in high winds here for hours. Shutters closed. Lot less worse than 1999 in Charente when we didnt know. Take care

1 Like

The weather is quite British at the moment, maybe that’s why.

5 Likes

Must confess… my neighbours frequently talk about the weather… no matter what sort … it’s too hot, too cold, too dry… etc etc… I reckon it’s an international topic.

I always try to cheer them up with my reply… “well, at least it’s not snowing…” :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

Agree @Stella

It would rather nice if a system of pipes could be installed so all that excess water you guys are receiving up North could be allowed to flow down to the South of France (34340). We are still at the highest level of drought alert in the country. Hence this happening: https://www.thelocal.fr/20231031/drought-causes-early-closure-of-frances-canal-du-midi, along with the house settling lower than normal, we have cracks galore reappearing where I had sealed them five years ago!

1 Like