The weather!

The nurse who came to minister unto me this afternoon showed me a pic she had just rec’d from Granville - the storm was imminent. A big grey lump lowering over the marina.

Here in Vire I see we are in a sector marked for winds of 100-110 kph.

The west coast of the Cotentin is due for waves of 8m-10m. The marina there will likely be a maritime scrappy by Friday. Boatyards [I used to own one] will be licking their lips. Months of work paid for by insurance cos.

Tho’ I had a u.sp. with ins work. We quoted honestly and made it a point of coming in just under budget. They loved us. Got lots of work that way.

A.t.mo it has gone very quiet “Too quiet, Carruthers. Too quiet. Something’s brewing”

Perhaps you should step over that border, Nigel, here in N. Dordogne we are perfectly happy, lots of rain after a long, hot summer, but no storms. We see them but they always come in from the SW and then magically split to the north and the south of us.

2 of the 3 ponds are up to max from being little more than marshes for months (but even that is a plus, watching various birds walking across the surface) and the 3rd, the swimming pond, has hardly dropped in the drought, sheltered from the evaporating sun by all the trees.

Sorry to sound smug, but I can’t help it. :joy:

It is just weather wherever it is. :yawning_face:

Still pretty warm down here but a jumper needed when the sun goes down if going outside. Still no rain of any amount since March 22 and not much forecast for the forseeable either. Silly but I worry for my old home in Finistère over the coming days and hope it will continue to stand without any damage as it did for all the years it served us. Will continue with my shorts and nothing on my feet for as long as I can.

1 Like

I reckon things in the future will be arranged so that the water can benefit the whole country, no matter where it falls… but perhaps not soon enough :wink:

1 Like

For every 5 liters of domestic drinking water put into the network 1 liter is lost though leaks. Water wouldn’t be so much of a problem if the water companies fixed the leaks.

Very fortunately it’s been very nice here in 34. Dry and combination of cloud and sunshine, with some rain overnight. Generally I’ve still been outside in a t-shirt during the day, but need more on as the sun goes down. But it does look like it’s getting cooler over the next days.

1 Like

Broadly the same as the UK. The BBC did a ‘reality check’ feature on water losses throughout Europe about 5 years ago. I’d be surprised if much has changed - but I hope that Ireland has bought a big tube of LeakStop…

I seem to remember a poem or something. I can only remember small bits of it. Maybe someone can fill them in? It goes:

Whether the weather is …
Or whether the weather is. …
We’ll weather the weather whatever the weather…

3 Likes

Whether the weather be fine,
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold,
Or whether the weather be hot,
We’ll weather the weather
Whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not!

5 Likes

As the great Spike Milligan wrote:

There are holes in the sky
Where the rain gets in
But they’re ever so small
That’s why the rain is thin.

Here in southern 86 the holes seem to have become somewhat larger of late…

5 Likes

This is what is forecast… updated after 9pm today… hang onto your hats…

Just read that some on-line Press will be open to all… without subscription tomorrow… due to the Storm and the anticipated horrors it will bring…

Our Wednesday walking group - Aveyron/Cantal/Lot had planned a walk for today from Saint-Cyprien-sur-Dourdou (I’m sure you all know it well!). However after climbing about 300m in pouring rain we decided to do the short 7km route rather than the intended 13kms. I only mention this because it was the third time in ten years that we’ve turned round at exactly the same point on the route. The first time was because after an hour of going up and down the hillside in the woods, we couldn’t find the path, the second time was because it became really wet and today we all agreed it was not a good idea to do the full route and instead everyone came back to our place for a boozy lunch with several bottles of cremant d’Alsace (not ours -brought for the post-randonée pique-nique).

Through it all the house remains warm and outside temps are very mild for the start of Nov…

2 Likes

First time ever I received an emergency alert on my phone from the préfecture

1 Like

My crossing, Dieppe to Newhaven today (Thursday) was cancelled so I am now on the Friday crossing.

1 Like

We have a re occuring water leak at the bottom of our road which has been repaired every 6 months since we have lived in the house over 26 years now.

The winds are very bad here in 72 at the moment, I have been out checking the farm and animals and while we are ok at the moment the Chateau has trees down, the power is off, but all 8 cats are on couches in front of the fire though :yum:

3 Likes

Hope everyone’s OK…

3 Likes

Very noisy night in Calvados, but all seems ok here this morning. :crossed_fingers:Wind was up to 110 kmh.
Not going anywhere!

1 Like

So much for my smuggity of yesterday, last night at 11pm the leccy went off, came back twice for a second and then, completely. No storm just blackness. Obviously another storm somewhere which missed us but knocked out a substation or something.

After checking that it wasn’t just us, the whole village was blacked out, so I switched everything off (I thought, but must have done it twice :roll_eyes: as some things came back on at 4am) and went to bed.

One thing new was a piercing sound from Fran’s bedroom. I traced it to the electric box that keeps her medical mattress inflated, so switched it off. The mattress was still inflated just now when I switched it back on. :astonished:

2 Likes