The week in Tory Land

Everything still functions, yes there are problems like in every other country but in the UK profiteering is off the charts.

What are your thoughts on energy price rises in the UK vis-à-vis the rest of the world? Or pumping raw sewage into rivers and the sea?

So as much as I may have misgivings about Macron, he is still a much safer pair of hands than Liz Truss.

9 Likes

Not sure profiteering is off the charts.
The wholesale price of energy is where it is going for profit
Mind you with NordStream being closed this is where it is going to get worse. Mostly for Germany and France as they take most of the gas from there to make electricity
Raw sewage into the sea… they have all being doing it
Macron, well he just got in because there was nobody there
Depends upon you definition of safe hands
I wouldn’t trust any of them be they left or right

What criteria are you using?

This article by Fintan O’Toole, a regular Guardian contributor, hope that doesn’t disqualify him :wink: may be of interest to you. His sort of tongue in cheek point is even the “paddies” are outperforming “Global” Britain. In fact everywhere is outperforming “Global” Britain :thinking:

2 Likes

oh please!

Pardon :joy:

I think you ought to stop now please

you are becoming a person who is not a good patron

One topic on slow mode is enough for now, thanks.

3 Likes

that is horrible, I am not a troll, just want decent discussion… Why are you doing this?

I apologise for the somewhat intermittent nature of my posts. I’m in a rather remote spot at the moment :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’ll let the forum owners and my peers judge that🙂

You have objected to my strong views on the shower in power, and have every right to do so. You have tried to erroneously equate my criticism of the Government with criticism of the Country and you have yet to offer any defence to those criticisms.

If you like the Tories that’s fine. Just don’t have go at me because I can’t stand what they have done and what one fears they are about to do.

Look, tell me why IDS isn’t a windbag living in a fine house his father-in-law gave him while having unjustly denied UK pensioners in France the Winter fuel allowance? Very good comment by John Crace today, IDS is delighted by the Truss result, soon he may not be the most hated Tory leader in living memory :joy: Let’s move on to Ress-Mogg, what’s not to hate? How about Redwood, Francois, Gove, Patel………?

Look, I’m willing to meet you halfway, just explain to me what any these people have done to benefit British society and I will stop thrashing them :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Im out of here, you are a malingering and malign presence and there to stir up . You are arguing for the sake of it and have no good propositions to put forward

1 Like

as indeed, neither have you if we are honest with each other :wink:

3 Likes

I’m sorry you don’t understand :roll_eyes:

Oh please, just put your ideas forward as to how this will be fixed!!!

Enough!!! How are expats moving to France allowed a UK winter allowance benefit? It’s been a madness from the start. You move countries to a warmer climate why?

you are passive aggressive

Can you explain why the WFP is made to UK pensioners in Spain, Greece, Italy and other warmer climes but was withdrawn from pensioners in France?

1 Like

I did this, you didn’t respond:

Well, if that is your answer, it does not fix the current problems regarding energy and cost of living in the short term nor a solution for the long term. You are talking semantics

The use and creation of energy has not crept up upon UK. Decisions have been taken to remove abilities to create (coal fired etc) , not invest in alternate methods. Instead import energy from overseas which is not good.

Onshore Wind energy has been shown time and time again to be the cheapest and quickest to install but is obviously subject to weather without a significant storage.

I would have ramped up dramatically on shore wind for short term and transitioned to offshore wind plus nuclear as soon as possible (5-10 years)

3 Likes