There's hot... and there's HOT - take care!

I found the link interesting, since it’s been nudging 40c for the last few days… and not dropping below 20c at night (22c last night) … yet we are in “the green”… so… not really HOT at all… :rofl: :joy:

Here in the north of Lot we are having high humidity all day and night, foggy 20° mornings, hot afternoons. 38° forecast for today. But temperatures are forecast to drop, starting tomorrow. It feels suddenly quite autumnal.

1 Like

It always does round here (47) when August starts - mists creep in, the sunflowers have gone over, most of the fields have been harvested. Trees are already dropping their leaves - having produced too many in the wet spring.

1 Like

The house was surrounded by mist this morning all flowing down into the valley.71 not yet into a Canicule.

1 Like

After a very variable summer, this last week has been absolutely lovely here in Brittany - sunny days, mid-20s, mild nights.
Next week looks good too…

1 Like

Wet and cold in the winter though.

1 Like

I drove out at 8am this morning and could see clouds of summer morning mist on the meadows either side of the road. Suddenly going along at 90kph, no visibility at all. I’d hit a patch of “fog”. Luckily no one behind me so I could brake as I literally could see nothing even though my recollection was 150 meters till next road curve.

Scary and now I understand why there are so many accidents in winter when there’s patchy fog

2 Likes

Still 80k limit on smaller roads here in 71.
8 am I was making ratatouille in the kitchen.

1 Like

It hit 40c in the shade today and it’s still 30c outside at 10pm… and this is in the green area :roll_eyes:

I’m hearing you! I did 2 games of tennis starting about 6.30 - was still nudging 40 and we have 80% humidity in the house - was worse outside earlier! Thank god we got let into the pool for a naughty nearly midnight swim!!!

And I’m still sat in my damp swimmers - perfect personal aircon!

1 Like

Thank goodness Jim mended the thermostat on my shower so that now I can have a cooling shower if it gets too hot.

1 Like

My wife suggests I need one of those also!

1 Like

It’s going to heat up again this time next week. Not much autumnal about these temps

Bordeaux

Toulouse

Limoges

Nothing seriously hot but certainly not autumnal.

For a bit of coolth, Normandy is the place to be, which is why I deleted properties south of the Loire and chose 50/14

Caen

The thing about the weather in my previous home, Valencia, it is, at least, consistent

They can keep it.

2 Likes

In 1988 I spent 8 months in Peshawar, Pakistan, April to Oct during what was a particularly hot summer. It was 38C when I got there, was into the 40C’s in two weeks and didn’t dip below 40C until Sept - when the humidity hit the roof. Weeks at a time 42C-44C. Record 46.8C

As the air temp was consistently hotter than body temp, going faster on the old Triumph Speed Twin was simply like turning up the temp on a hair dryer - it was hotter. I termed it ‘The Cosmic Hairdryer’.

Staggering into the shower, turning on the tap - and getting nothing but a brief trickle of rusty water, not enough to fill a cup … :sweat:

The problem with the water supply was made worse by there being the then world’s largest concentration of refugees outside Peshawar, along the Afghan border, about 3m people. Every nurse of the medical teams would report 20-30 children a day of her ‘patch’ dying of dehydration.

Yesterday we survived in the house by opening all outside doors and windows on the 3 sides that have them and the cool breeze generated was lovely till it came to shut down with lights on and bugs coming in. Then, for an hour or so before bed I put the clima on in the living room and it quickly brought the temperature down to comfort levels.

But today much different. The hot, not warm, strong breeze from the south made that impossible. Fran, being a cold person managed to exist till half an hour ago in the south facing kitchen but I did make sure she had a continuous supply of cold water.

For me, it was up to the pond. The water is 21c, the air in the shade 37 and I did 16 slow leisurely lengths (112 metres) with a couple of breaks along the way to clear the surface of debris. Not too bad now in the living room and I have moved Fran in here. it was 39 in the kitchen. :astonished:

It is crazy! Yesterday it was 51c when we got in the cat at 5.30, dropped to 46 or7c after driving a bit. Today feels like a hairdryer blowing! No idea where they get their temps from, we are always at least 3c over! I guess in deep shade it might be right! We are on a limestone rock so it absorbs all the heat then keeps pumping it out all evening!

When I was a kid we had 4 properties / stations literally at ’ the back of Bourke’, 120km out of town. Proper edge of the outback in northern NSW. We were having problems with cattle rustlers so my step dad dropped me and mum to go shopping and went to the police station. The cop was taking his statement when he suddenly said ‘hang on mate, its midday I have to do the temperature reading’. They bothe went outside and the cop turned off a sprinkler and headed to the ‘official’ thermometer on the lawn. Dad commented that the reading would be way off but the copper explained that they did it in purpose as it would scare people without the sprinkler :rofl:

And David those inside temps are crazy!!! Have you tried opening everything over night with shutters closed then in the morning if still cool open them too, then close all the windows and shutters on sun side by 8 or so? Then keep shutters on sun side closed (obviously changes during the day) and only open again late evening? I’ve been doing this a few years now and the difference is huge. Current kitchen temp is ,24c.

1 Like

Yes, we regularly have temperatures greater than forecast too, so a forecast 40 had me worried how far into the 40s it would actually go!

Just looked at a thermometer in our courtyard (now in shade) and it was showing 44. I’ve seen it read 50 (off the scale above that) out there but it gets soaked in sun and holds the heat, so it’s NOT an accurate indication of normal temperatures.

Edit: woops, missed out a vital ‘not’!

1 Like

Yes, our temps at home are usually higher than Meteo France say. I’m on holiday this week in La Ciotat, where it was 35C this afternoon, but at home it was due to be 40C, and in the valley, 42C. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was higher than that, but will have to talk to les voisins to get the low down when we get back.
Hope all our vegetables have survived.