There's hot... and there's HOT - take care!

I have a thermometer on the north side of the house, mounted on a large block of wood, in a shaded nook out of the wind. That, I think gives me an accurate air temperature. The other one on the south side regularly measures 10C or more higher in the summer.

So why do people want to move to the South of France? Sounds highly unpleasant!

We struggled today with something in the region of 32 - 34. When we first came here 28-29 was the top average temperature. (But then we had a cord of wood delivered, and had to stack it as was covering parking area for gîte with people arriving at 16h, so were going to struggle whatever the temperature)

These excesses of heat are not all the time. It’s a bit like excessive snowfall which blocks one indoors…
When it happens, one just has to organize around it… and take care… heat can be as dangerous as ice and snow.

I like the South, I like it’s peoples, and it likes me. Well, for 10 months of the year. I’m kidding of course. Wherever you live, there are challenges and compromises. I’ve lived in places where I was physically cut off for weeks at a time in the winter. I lived with it. It’s hot here from time to time … very hot, but it’s part of my life, just as 2 metres of snow was previously part of my life. Swings and roundabouts.

1 Like

Due to the renewing of windows and building of conservatories, we don’t have shutters anymore except for the ones on the west facing main entrance doors and on my bedroom window alongside, both of which open onto a shady covered terrasse. My bedroom, with door firmly closed all day stays very cool inside but when I go to bed and settle down with lights off I open both door and window as it starts to warm up, presumably with my presence.

Fran’s bedroom is south facing and has really good tilt and turn windows which, unfortunately, cannot be opened at all because she insists on a wooden shelving there with all sorts of treasured nicknacks. She can’t be persuaded on this but, as she feels the cold more than the heat, seems content with the situation there. In the winter she has a duvet under her and 2 duvets and a blanket on top. I moved to the other bedroom long ago before her mental problems developed because I couldn’t stand the heat. Her body loses heat while mine retains it (it is all about differing insulation :roll_eyes:) so she would move close to me to warm herself while her heat added to my own which I retained. I was gradually driven in retreat to the very edge and then, even in winter, lifted the side of the duvet to try and keep cool. :rofl:

The kitchen has a small conservatory attached in place of what originally was the main entrance. Normally it can be cooled by leaving the patio windows open and a curtain, which does not reach the floor, drawn across to keep the sun out. Normally it works very well.

28°in the shop with the clim on max! Rather hot out on the bike too :hot_face:

good grief…

Good grief, “on the bike”? You’re bonkers! :wink: I’ll go out early (6 - 7am) but I’m defo back by 9.

I see people out midday/afternoon (mad dogs or Englishmen?) and think ‘jeepers, not for me’ I really don’t do heat.

Sleeping is even difficult at the moment, and sleep is something I usually do very well!

1 Like

Windows open on the western front… house temp same as outdoors… 24c.
The heat is building on the eastern side and shutters and windows facing that way are already firmly closed.
I’ll count to 100 and close the remaining windows… that way the house will stay just right… while the plants etc will frazzle (sadly).

Out for a very early morning hike and it was absolutely lovely - felt very fresh compared to what it’s been like during the day, and glorious to hear all the birds singing away - all shutters now either closed or very slightly open, which makes an enormous difference in this heat! Now looking forward to the rugby this afternoon :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

During the last heatwave Mrs W. Put a camp bed in the cellar and slept there. Luckily she’s not scared of the bats :bat: that live there too.

2 Likes

Just got in from a 120 km training ride, all the other riders French (me too technically!), so no mad dogs etc , late 30°s towards the end so I’m glad to be back home. For info I think I got through more than 8 water bottles!

2 Likes

My performance tails off significantly in the heat. I’ve never been able to handle it. On the plus side, the cold seems not to effect me quite so much as others. I’ll go out in arm warmers and gilet when others are togged up in jackets etc.

1 Like

Ha… reminds me of a trip to Spain some years ago with a friend staying in his apartment overlooking the Med in the month of March…
I was particularly warm (as it often is in Spain for el inglés) and my friend pointed out that you can tell the difference between the natives and the visitors… the natives wear coats :grin:

1 Like

Same in Rio (at least when I was there over 40 years ago) if the temperature dipped into the low 70s Cariocas brought out their fur coats. :grin:

2 Likes

Our son did a season in Turkey as a mountain bike guide for Nielson. In September he described the weather getting cool and one evening he rode into the resort wearing a hoodie and jeans, only to see people wearing singlets and shorts. Made him realise he’d acclimatised.

1 Like

We’ve got club riders who are the same, horses for courses and all that and I’m not saying it was easy out there today, far from it! Remeber meeting up with a mate for a training run in the last big heatwave a few years ago. The only time I could escape from work was mid afternoon, he turned up but after 20km said he was turning back to go home, couldn’t handle the heat as he always rides early morning in the summer. I just get used to it and ride as and when I can. Perhaps I’m the blok wearing full winter gear when others are in are in mi-saision :rofl:

1 Like

I was in La Ciotat this morning. 10am and 33C. There were actually people running along the road by the market front, and continuing around the harbour towards the shipyard. How crazy are these people ?

1 Like

Very!

As with anything… warnings are given and folk take note and/or ignore… each to their own.
If one has a sporting passion… it must be hard to sit by and watch when one is eager to participate… I’m just glad I have the excuse of “guarding OH” to keep me in the shade… :wink:

Must say, the Press have been reporting more drownings, than deaths from heat- exhaustion, during this recent canicule… but perhaps that’s 'cos folk with existing health issues have heeded the advice and “stayed in the cool etc” during the excessive heat…

and now for something different… might be noisy but should be cooler…