There's hot... and there's HOT - take care!

A great relief, the storm last night, already the breeze was stronger and cooler but the horizon was clear with lightning very far away towards Bordeaux. So I was surprised when an hour or so later it all changed.

My occasional sleeping companion joined me as soon as I went to bed and for the first time stayed all night. He must have nudged the window almost closed but, even with his presence and the reduced ventilation it was a comfortable night.

This morning the water butt is overflowing and my first job outside will be pumping it into the bottom pond to bring it back once more from its marsh like appearance. :joy:

1 Like

An even bigger storm tonight, just dying down at the moment, I think, with rapid and continuous lightning and thunder. The house is vibrating. I am thinking there will be another 500 litres to transfer from the butt to the pond again tomorrow. :joy:

Bad news is it cut out Sherwood, half way through. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah it was a good 'un tonight here in the Medoc. We had the neighbours over for dinner. Météo France has said the storm would start around nine, so had planned to start off outside… But those plans quickly changed when the weather suddenly changed just before 8:00 :grin:

A pretty wild storm last night. Thank goodness the big hailstorm missed us. That’s the second time in a couple of weeks there have been really violent hailstorms we have narrowly avoided.

I’m assuming there’s a France-wide shortage of bâches at the moment?

We too have had near-ish misses. Counting ourselves lucky that we have some kind of Batfink wings of steel (Google it) protecting us. Good thing too, the roof is decidedly suspect. That said, a nearby chateau had its new roof 3/4 destroyed… I digress.

As a result of the renovation work that we have done to our place, we have easy access to the entire roof from underneath (i.e. the attic space) I’m wondering if we ought stick supplies of temp repair stuff up there, and devise an emergency drill of some kind. Strikes me that you can limit significant water damage by acting quickly, and not having to wait for overstretched pompiers to bail you out (pun intended)

Last summer during a freakish storm in the middle of the night, quite a few roof tiles went flying off the roof.My husband (with my sort of help) managed to slide spare tiles we had in the loft back into place. I was terrified it would be like dominos and that the rest of the roof tiles would slide off, but that didn’t happen.

But to answer your question, I think it’s a good idea! Now every time there is a storm I do get quite nervous it will happen again. On a more positive note, whilst the whole village looked like a mess in the morning after the storm, by the afternoon pretty much everything had been fixed. No pompiers required.