Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Rejected By MPs For A Second Time

What on earth does this mean? [quote=“IronDuke, post:158, topic:24956”]
People are internationalists when it comes to USA but less interventionalist when it comes to a region in Europe deserted by the project.
[/quote]

Actually the Spanish situation is more akin to Ireland, now there’s a lovely can of historic worms.
Interventionism in neighbours’ internal affairs is frowned upon, generally, isn’t it, cf attitudes to Italian demonstrations of support for GJs.

1 Like

Hence that disgusting apology for an elected representative, Farage, going to the parlement and being his usual vulgarian rude and cloacal self begging them to intervene. Just before doing a bit of his lemming walk along some cliffs with his loony hangers-on.
Ghastly, ghastly little man.

5 Likes

Seriously Peter, a different exit date could count as a material change to the deal so Bercow might have to let parliament vote on it again.

For me it shows the EU true colours. We are all Irish, leaves no room for the Catalans. Madrid has EU’s blessing, and nobody except the Catalans are Catalonian. Apologies for the interlude - has anything happened with Brexit yet? :joy:

absolutely - Macron, arguably unpopular in France, addresses Europe directly. I wonder if his confidence will ever desert him. Yet he gets upset when the Italians have a chat with GJ’s.

Oh crikey - the other side of the Pyrenees looks ever more appealing!! :es::es::es:

1 Like

lol - Macrons words not mine.

1 Like

It was you who raised the notion of agricultural workers being exploited.
I was referring to the fact that British farmers have to use immigrant labour,what you call being exploited, because the Brits won’t do the work.
Perhaps you could tell just why they won’t do this work?
Do you have any background in farming or agriculture?

I have a pair of Argyll wellingtons, a chocolate labrador and a derby walking cane. My credentials are beyond challenge. I have also been house hunting around Boston, Lincs. It seems many of the these folks do work hard in the fields but have very little money to show for it. I did see some farmers wive’s driving about in Range Rover Vogues though.

As an aside here is how Boston voted in the referendum - the town centre reminded me of my time in Warsaw - I quite liked it but not many of the locals seem to.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s necessarily a case of Brits not wanting to do the work today, with near full employment there simply aren’t enough workers available full stop.

Timothy, it is nearly impossible to get Brits to do field work.

What a self satisfied yellowbelly.

Jane, as usual you paint with a ‘broad brush’, there is more than one reason why young Brits don’t work in the fields/on farms. Unemployment is very low in the UK right now, ID used Boston as an example and here the unemployment rate is 3.4% which is below the national average so there are simply no local workers available.

Perhaps, I’m guessing here, part of the reason fruit and veg is more expensive in France is because people are paid a better wage for agricultural employment plus the higher taxes will push prices up.
As I stated earlier I wouldn’t work all day in a field for minimum wage. A 40 hour week after deductions is likely to yield about £250. I’d sooner be getting minimum wage in a warm environment like McDonald’s.

A lot of ‘picking’ is piece work so speed is everything, work slowly and you don’t earn much.

Back to May’s deal, it seems the DUP aren’t on board anyway, so Bercow’s intervention doesn’t look to have fundamentally changed anything of significance.

It just might be that the unemployment level is low because all the jobs are filled by people from Eastern Europe.

I don’t understand why you won’t consider other opinions, there are many reasons why farmers/fruit and veg growers can’t attract British workers, it’s not simply because young Brits are lazy which seems to be the inference.

1 Like

@anon7138442 wrote:

“I have a pair of Argyll wellingtons, a chocolate labrador and a derby walking cane. My credentials are beyond challenge.”

Such a testimonial has been burnished by a masterly and squirely hand for so long it has a bewitching chestnut glow to it, Your Grace.

Indubitably la noblesse. I never doubted it myself of course. :crossed_swords:

1 Like

Yes, unemployment is low in the south east - but considerably higher in the north

If people will travel from Bulgaria to Boston for a job why won’t they travel from Bolton or Newcastle?