Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Rejected By MPs For A Second Time

The only way that could be achieved would be to get her to stand down.

2 Likes

I have to say, Mr Bercow wears some great ties !!

A different one every day.

Honestly don’t know what this means but we’re only 11 days away and counting, he’ll be hung, drawn and quartered if this leads to ‘no-deal’ though.

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether this whole sorry mess is, indeed, a cunning plan to prevent Brexit. The only alternative is that May is the singularly most inept and incompetent PM we have EVER had, barring none. This I find difficult to believe, sorry though her performance has been. If the deal had passed, we’d have been out of the EU by June. Now, given the vote of last week, she has to ask the EU for more time. They will insist on it being a long time - maybe a couple of years. This takes us into (UK) election country and all bets are off. Of course, No10 may tweak the vote in some way so as to get round the speakers ruling, but nonetheless, consider that May is a remainer, most MPs are remainers, even those representing Leave constituencies and the general public are a bunch of ignorant peasants (at least in the eyes of the administration).

I don’t think that is a given - there are some very exasperated noises coming out of the EU regarding the UK political situation.

Had May’s deal been accepted they would have been happy to grant the necessary extension to allow us to sort out supporting domestic legislation, that’s about the only scenario things would have been straightforward (ish - that only moves on to the next phase after all). But with TM so weak at home and parliament having been browbeaten into accepting the deal it is not clear what authority the present government would have to continue negotiations.

So we have
Inaction - out next Friday no deal.

or

Seek an extension, based on May’s statement last week this would be a “long” extension 9-12 months, but who knows, she’s not exactly the best at honouring what she said she would do.

Then - if rejected we have a problem, Bercow has made it impossible to re-present May’s deal to parliament so: out next Friday with no deal, 'cos there’s no time to stop that happening.

Even if granted the EU might only be willing to give a short extension so we do not participate in EU elections. Maybe then porogate parliament and have another go.

Long extension granted. Ideally TM steps down and we have a GE to restore some sort of parliamentary authority, then we take a more conciliatory and consensual Brexit, including maybe admitting it was all a bloody stupid idea and not doing it.

Right now I don’t think what will happen next is any clearer.

Plus there’s resignation (unlikely) or a vote of no confidence (possible) to play with, plus the whole Irish situation.

It’s just as fucked up as ever, possibly more so.

The Parliamentary year can be halted and restarted thus allowing the MV3 to be presented.

And I don’t see why Scots should be ruled from Westminster by the English just because of a late 17th Century bad investment but hey, that’s progress for you, supposedly.

4 Likes

It seems perhaps the Scots disagree with you based on their last referendum.

The UK is brave enough to ask important questions of its people - the Catalans could do with a referendum I think.

You may remember that the Scots were told, before the Indyref, that if they voted to secede from the UK, they would be out of the EU and that England would veto their entry.

So now I think a new Indyref wouldn’t have quite the same result. Scotland within the EU, independent of the Westminster parliament actually seems a better prospect. People might be tempted to hitch their wagon to something other than a muck- cart.

5 Likes

As I said, not a given

Admittedly Verhofstadt was commenting before Bercow’s intervention, at the point that it wasn’t clear if the government would take the deal to a further vote but I suspect that the sentiment remains.

I think that the EU will, ultimately, grant an extension but only because they wtill don’t want to be seen to be precipitating a no-deal Brexit. At least not for the present - if we don’t engage that might well change.

All I remember is they had a referendum and they voted to remain. And it was a once in a generation vote. This might sound harsh until we observe that many are denied that opportunity, such as the Catalans.

Whataboutery doesn’t cut it, the English can try weaselling around the issue as much as they like it still stinks of perfidious Albion’s usual hypocrisy when it comes to dealings with other nations (and especially Scotland, obviously). There will be another referendum, I should think, just as soon as you are out of the EU.
If you don’t leave the EU I expect the UK will remain united at least for a bit longer.

2 Likes

I see the plight of the Catalans strikes a chord with you. lol. Do you have a view?

I am French and Scottish. I am not Catalan, I haven’t really got an axe to grind though I don’t see why they are denied a consultation, they can sort out their own situation, a return to the time when Catalonia was a sovereign state would mean their getting Naples and Sardinia (off the top of my head) which might cause ructions with the current nationalist crew in Rome…

1 Like

Well I sympathise with their cause. To be denied a plebicite seems unfair not least when they see others have had their say, regardless of the outcomes.

1 Like

Although Madrid said exactly the same thing to Barcelona that Westminster said to Edinburgh.

I’m English and Scottish…

I love listening to the members of the SNP in the House of Commons…they brighten my day…clear…consistent…passionate…articulate…love them…! x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well we wouldnt put the Scots on trial.

I posted this a while ago

I think it demonstrates that we are all a little parochial in our views. People are internationalists when it comes to USA but less interventionalist when it comes to a region in Europe deserted by the project.

If the Eu agrees to an extension thereby giving Brexit a new date that apparently could be enough to allow May’s deal to be voted on again, bizarre.

It can’t be voted on again in this Parliament.

2 Likes