Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Rejected By MPs For A Second Time

Much of this is cradle to grave thinking. I saw periods in the corporate world where recruitment from schools more or less dried up around 2000. Instead there was an increase in offshoring basic administration and technology roles. The costs were very low but we lost the young coming into the business. Inevitably the overseas rates increase and when the business needed local skills it struggled, often onshoring those from overseas on tier 1 visas.

Apprenticeship numbers increased over the last 10 years but the numbers haven’t recovered, partly due to automation, and there’s been a focus on alpha types.

There are few things in life as rewarding as putting your hand out and lifting someone up it should be part of the natural order of things. Some don’t like it as they are protectionist by nature but our young are saddled with uncertain expensive futures any help we can give them to develop is deserved.

The cheapest path is rarely without cost of somekind.

2 Likes

Watch dispatches on catch up, it is very clear why no one agrees to Theresa Mays agreement, most of the MP’s are making a lot of money by delaying Brexit, mostly those who are for Brexit and supposed to be representing the people’s vote. All they are doing is lining their pockets and putting themselves first ahead of their party and country They should be bought to justice fir what they are doing to the country a its people. I am ashamed of our government and of being British.

Sorry, you are going to have to justify that - a few might benefit from falls in the £ if they have overseas investments, some might benefit in other ways from Brexit but most MPs personally benefiting financially from delay to Brexit - that is quite a claim and it is going to require some proof.

The obsession with cheap food as a policy is what is driving all of this.
Supermarkets are continuously looking for the ‘best deal’.
If you listen to the Farming Today programme you might have a better understanding of the problem than automatically supposing that people are being exploited.
I remember the case of an apple farmer who advertised locally and got three replies.
For the majority of Brits they do not want to do the hard work in the fields.

Well Simon, the short answer to your above wonderings is ‘All of them’ although there will be some where the implementation date has not as yet arrived. It is true that laws and regulations adopted by the European Council have to be approved by the European Parliament but usually this is more of a formality of process than anything else.
You may also be interested to know that in addition to the 11 pieces of legislation actively opposed by the UK since 1/1/2015, there were also 42 other legislative items where the UK abstained from voting either way. Due to the way that QMV is structured, an abstention is effectively a vote against (just in a more polite and less confrontational way) as the majority required relates to the total number of possible votes rather than actual ones.

That is where you and I fundamentally differ Paul. For me it is a very important factor indeed. I fervently believe that the UK should be governed from within by British nationals rather than from abroad by foreigners. I suppose it’s probably because I think of myself as being English before being British, and I don’t think of myself as being European at all. Others may think that I’m just wrong and old fashioned, but that does not alter the fact that it is the way I feel.

1 Like

21Century

4 Likes

Well ‘hat’s off’ to you Robert for doing all that research before you voted. Who knew… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

While it is true that recently we have been voting against or abstaining more than in the past what you would really need to do is look at each episode and determine whether it was an issue which really mattered to the UK, that we had fought hard to oppose but had not prevailed and which would make a significant impact on the lives of (even some) UK citizens - or whether it was something which did not especially matter to us. Of course that’s a bit hard so people just take the easy route and say “see, we voted against some stuff - it was imposed against our will, scandelous!!!”

I mean “type-approval requirements for the deployment of the eCall in-vehicle system based on the 112 service” doesn’t strike me as something about which I would care one iota, nor does " Regulation No 223/2009 on European statistics", nor, I suspect, could I get that hot under the collar about rules regarding trade marks and designs or the fees applicable thereto (unless, maybe the fees are so ludicrous as to make retail goods more expensive but I doubt it). Similarly " Protocol No 3 on the Statute of the ECJ" does not immediately strike me as pertinent to my daily life (but it’s probably worth a read to make sure) - I could go on but I’m bored now.

This is the problem - you are setting it up as “us and them” and behaving as though we had no seat at the table - for that part of UK legislation which is handed down from the EU and adopted into UK law it is generated by a supranational organisation - in which we participate, with elected representation, on the same footing as the other members.

We are part of this process - it is not somehow nothing to do with us handing down laws which we must enact.

However this is precisely the position with regard to, say, our relationship with the US that the Brexiteers would drive us. This not rescuing our sovereignty from the tyranny of the EU, it is - intentionally or otherwise - going to reduce our ability to influence the rest of the world.

8 Likes

There’s something so sickening about that statement. Others may think that I’m just wrong…, but that does not alter the fact that it is the way I feel.

4 Likes

Nah, I thought it was touchingly naïve.

Look at the role of foreign investment in the Leave campaign, then ask yourself whether our decision makers and influencers are “British Nationals”

7 Likes

The UK stopped being able to set it’s own agenda decades ago, forget the EU, what about the massive foreign investment and takeover of UK companies that has occurred since WW2, it all comes at a price and the country is beholden to the likes of the US, China and S. Arabia etc who can dictate foreign policy and the price of pretty much everything we buy which effects more of people’s daily lives than Europe ever could.

Without a doubt being part of the EU has been a huge benefit to the UK and this will sadly only become apparent if we leave.

8 Likes

Unfortunately I think our reputation has now been trashed so much that the EU don’t want us back.

1 Like

And all those calling for “WTO rules” - where the hell are THEY based ?

5 Likes

If I read this correctly Bercow has just blocked MV3 being put before the house without significant change.

Complete bombshell, I wasn’t sure he’d do it.

He has specifically ruled out “changes in opinion about something” - i.e Cox changing his legal advice.

Well that is a shock but does that mean ‘no-deal’ is now a step nearer or will TM now have to do something drastic? JRM is happy which is a bloody worry!

This should  force TM back to Brussels, most likely to ask for an extension but <deity> help us if she follows Boris’s advice.

Well done to Mr Bercow for preventing the PM continuing to waste the time of the House.