Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Rejected By MPs For A Second Time

Thanks Robert - I got an answer ! :smile:

A few things:

Firstly, my comment about things not existing not affecting me was specifically around EU legislation - the topic being discussed.

I couldn’t give a monkeys about Qualified Majority Voting - never heard of it until a couple of days ago - and seem to have got through life (so far) not knowing about it.

As for the 11 occasions since 2015 of EU rule being ‘imposed’ (your word) on the UK since 2015 - well, would they have made any difference to how I voted if I’d known about them before I voted? No way… although the one about air services in the community is vaguely interesting from a personal perspective. I’ll give you that.

As a general point of interest - I wonder how many of the 11 pieces of EU legislation cited have actually been implemented by the UK (or here in France for that matter). If they have been, I didn’t feel a thing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anway, it’s all academic now as the UK powers towards regaining control and sovereignty… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Laugh-out-loud moment there Thomas - great start to the week!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Perhaps you haven’t noticed that it is UK who is leaving the Club after forty years.
We know what the rules are and it was TM who insisted on inserting the backstop.
There is far too much EU bashing wiith no substance for it whatsoever.

3 Likes

Exactly. 99% of brexiteers would have to Google to know what this legislation was that has been passed without UK approval.

1 Like

Please explain how any of these impact your daily life.

Laws come from somewhere, it doesn’t really make the slightest difference to me whether that is Brussels or London.

And, for the umpteenth time taking part in a collective process in which you are represented is not loss of sovereignty.

I don’t hear whining how the constituents of any MP voting against a particular piece of legislation are having it “imposed against their will” - or would you like all laws in the UK to require a unanimous vote before they are passed by the HoC?

It is not the EU’s fault that the UK views electing MEPs in such a dimwitted and disinterested manner that they will vote for the likes of Nigel Farage to “represent” them.

6 Likes

To be fair 99.99% of the population couldn’t tell you what legislation had recently passed through the HoC, I certainly couldn’t.

5 Likes

Probably all stuff we would object to but they know everyone is obsessed with Brexit and won’t notice.

2 Likes

Glad you liked it. Wakes the slumbo’s up on a Monday morning.

No, they were just working hard.

That’s why Brits don’t want to do it.

??? Why would the EU ‘run after the UK’ ? The UK really is determined to cut off its nose to spite its face, isn’t it. Poor poor people, especially those who voted against this shambles (no particular sympathy for those who didn’t bother voting and no sympathy at all for those who actively voted for chaos).

4 Likes

Is that a clumsy statement or a racist one?

No it is one well borne out by experience in both the agriculture and health sectors, as you must know if you listen to the news or read papers.
The NHS is extremely worried about its staffing levels.

Hugely insulting and ignorant to call British people lazy. Following your logic the NHS is in trouble because those who work in it aren’t working hard enough. Industries experiencing recruitment issues should consider how much they pay and how they train/ partner with education. I think UK business loves EU freedom of movement because it keeps costs low and profits up but it’s encouraged a lack of home grown provision and a race to the bottom for unskilled pay. If farmers paid a fair wage for crop harvesters they would find staff, I’d pay more for my food to protect workers but will the food retailers?

3 Likes

This is probably true in some sectors - I think UK hauliers were complaining about the loss of qualified drivers but it then transpired they don’t do much to support training in the UK.

However it is a problem caused/exacerbated by UK industry/government - it is not the EU’s fault that we have inadequate training.

It is also true that there is a lot of apathy and “entitlement” in the UK work force - picking (say) cabbages is back-breaking poorly paid work but the reason that farmers wind up having to get Bulgarians to do it is UK workers don’t want to, even for significantly above minimum wage.

3 Likes

Jane, with respect. I’m a staunch ‘remainer’ but the EU is a mega organisation which wastes money left right and centre. The EU needs to be streamlined to cut the waste (and probably the corruption in some cases !). The EU is a bureaucratic nightmare and reform is a must.
I believe in ‘Europe’ and I am European but the system needs to be overhauled.

9 Likes

That’s pretty unfair on Brits. Calling British workers lazy for refusing to be exploited is just allowing the elite to make money on the backs of badly treated employees. Amazon can sack you just for going to the toilet. An ex miner, who would know about hard graft said he wouldn’t work for Amazon because of how they treat people. I wouldn’t work in a field for 12 hours a day on minimum wages. Foreign workers will be less likely to assert their rights just as it would be harder for me here in France.
Don’t buy into Tory rhetoric whilst they try to erode employees rights.
My dil spent 3 years working split shifts, 70 hours some weeks in a restaurant and had my grandson who was 2 when she started there. She was totally exploited and the last straw was last summer when he told her she couldn’t have her holiday to collect her son from our house in France because her boss had booked the same weekend away.

4 Likes

Teresa I am a Tory, we are not all mean spirited :innocent:

2 Likes

Perhaps we need to differentiate between businesses/ companies who are targeting European workers because they can get away with paying them less , ignoring their rights etc, and organisations like the NHS where there are pay banding systems in place for every job and you could be sky blue pink with yellow polka dots , that job pays that band end of

3 Likes

Of course you’re not. I was referring to Tory mp’s and the elite. It is however Tory governments that have tried to reduce workers rights.

1 Like

Absolutely, the NHS is very different in this respect. However whilst we absolutely need all workers in the NHS we also need much more investment in the NHS generally and especially training for future staff. A year after the Tories got in, 2011, a colleague of mine from Barbados who had worked for 5 years in the uk and had just completed her training to work as a biomedical scientist was given 1 months notice to return to her homeland. She was amongst many soft targets to reduce immigration figures.

2 Likes