Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Rejected By MPs For A Second Time

Another corker from the wonderful James O’B… :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

PS - Still waiting for an examples, any examples, of those pesky EU laws that get in our way every day…silence always reigns when that question is asked…

The particular nature of which EU rules have been implemented through QMV despite UK opposition is not really relevant to the principle that is objected to by many of those who wish the UK to leave the EU. (One could do the research but that is only going to lead to a distracting conversation about whether or not the particular law is good or bad, and whether it should or should not have been objected to by the UK.)
For me, the more relevant point is the issue of QMV itself, and indeed the slow but seemingly inexorable extension of it across the broadest possible spectrum of EU law making.
The progressive extension of QMV is something that has happened since the UK joined the EEC, and whilst it may be that it is logical for this to happen as the EU enlarges, it is never the less a fundamental change in the rules of the ‘club’ that the UK joined.
When the rules change it is up to existing members to decide if they wish to stay in the ‘club’ under the new rules. It would seem that for many people the EU ‘club’ has morphed into something that they no longer wish to be a part of, and I venture to suggest that the progressive loss of sovereignty by virtue of the extension of QMV over a wider range of issues is one of the reasons for that.

1 Like

Still no example then Robert. I’m afraid if something doesn’t affect me - it simply doesn’t exist - a bit like those obscure EU laws…

It’s a bit like the ‘progressive loss of sovereignty’ - examples would help me to understand what the heck that looks like in real terms…

Never any examples…just rhetoric.

2 Likes

Pretty much what I could have said but in a much more skilful, diplomatic and erudite way…thank you Robert.

Seems to be partly hinging on the DUP - and convincing them that, even though nothing has changed, they can view the WA and backstop in a more favourable light. Some reports suggest that she is going to write “No divergence between GB and NI” into the withdrawal bill; not totally sure that is compatible with the backstop arrangements in the WA but it wouldn’t be surprising that May was willing to promise the undeliverable just to get someone onboard now and worry about the promise later.

If the DUP come on board then some of the ERG will - the question then becomes “is that enough to get her over the line”.

However no-one seems to be thinking about the effect that taking no-deal off the table will have on the Tory moderates who have been supporting the bill. Frankly if I were an MP who believed in a soft Brexit but voted with May’s deal last Tuesday to avoid crashing out with nothing, then being told this week that if her deal is rejected she will ask for a long extension to the A50 process would sound like an excellent reason to no longer support the current WA.

For what it’s worth and that ain’t a lot, I believe the majority of MPs don’t want a protracted continuation of what’s gone on over the past few years and will vote with Mme May.
As many have said, I think it’s in the hands of the DUP.

1 Like

Yes but no version of events includes “over quickly”, people need to get their heads around that fact,

Up to a point, if they don’t come on board there’s not much point holding the vote - there is so little time left we should get straight onto talking to the EU about an extension.

Even if they do come on on board and there is a vote it is by no means certain Mrs May will prevail.

I’m finding it hard to believe that by Wednesday night the UK could effectively be on the way out of Europe.

Look at the bright side: you get to have blue passports … :thinking::roll_eyes::disappointed:

British flag
Comment

The Magical Thinking Around Brexit

The next two weeks will test how deeply a nation can immerse itself in self-delusion.
](http://link.newyorker.com/click/16307893.92574/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubmV3eW9ya2VyLmNvbS9tYWdhemluZS8yMDE5LzAzLzI1L3RoZS1tYWdpY2FsLXRoaW5raW5nLWFyb3VuZC1icmV4aXQ_dXRtX2NhbXBhaWduPWF1ZC1kZXYmdXRtX3NvdXJjZT1ubCZ1dG1fYnJhbmQ9dG55JnV0bV9tYWlsaW5nPVROWV9EYWlseV8wMzE3MTkmdXRtX21lZGl1bT1lbWFpbCZieGlkPTViZDY3ODlhMjRjMTdjMTA0ODAxZGEyMiZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5OTg4OTI0JmVzcmM9/5bd6789a24c17c104801da22B29b39e81)

1 Like

Will I be able to buy a burgundy cover to go on my blue passport?

1 Like

:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

I can hardly contain my excitement. :slight_smile:

I know! It must be unbearable!

I think that there’s a special 50p coin available…frankly, if I’d known previously, I’d have voted Leave

The 50p coin has the date of the 29th of March on it, definitely a collectors item.:grinning:

hmpf …

Bunch of lying, rabble-rousing, incompetent, swivel-eyed shits. Snouts in the trough and no moral compass. UGH they are emetic.

1 Like

Sorry Simon, but I think such a ‘head in the sand’ stance is taking a hell of a risk with one’s future.
Basically I gather that you will have no problem with the system of Qualified Majority Voting until such time as it does adversely affect you personally. (I note that you decline to mount any defense of the QMV system.)
Incidentally, your quest for examples of European Council measures adopted despite the UK voting against may be sated to a degree by the knowledge that there have been 11 occasions since 1/1/2015 when this has happened. Each one of those instances could reasonably be cited as being an instance where an EU rule has been imposed on the UK without our governments consent. If you wish to read up on the details then the list is as follows:-
DIRECTIVE OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL amending Directive 2004/37/EC on the protection of workers from the risks related to exposure to carcinogens or mutagens at work

REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL amending Regulation (EC) No 1008/2008 on common rules for the operation of air services in the Community

MFF Neighbourhood, Development and International Cooperation Instrument

REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL establishing a framework for the provision of port services and common rules on the financial transparency of ports

REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on personal protective equipment and repealing Council Directive 89/686/EEC

Position of the Council at first reading with a view to the adoption of a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on transmissible animal diseases and amending and repealing certain acts in the area of animal health ("Animal Health Law")

Position of the Council at first reading with a view to the adoption of a DIRECTIVE OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on railway safety (Recast)

REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL amending Protocol No 3 on the Statute of the Court of Justice of the European Union

Position of the Council at first reading with a view to the adoption of a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL amending Council Regulation (EC) No 207/2009 on the Community trade mark and Commission Regulation (EC) No 2868/95 implementing Council Regulation (EC) No 40/94 on the Community trade mark, and repealing Commission Regulation (EC) No 2869/95 on the fees payable to the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs)

Position of the Council at first reading with a view to the adoption of a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Regulation (EC) No 223/2009 on European statistics

Position of the Council at first reading with view to the adoption of a REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL concerning type-approval requirements for the deployment of the eCall in-vehicle system based on the 112 service and amending Directive 2007/46/EC

By the way – the above information has all been drawn from the EUs own website to be found at https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/general-secretariat/corporate-policies/transparency/open-data/voting-results/#

1 Like

Basically i dont give a damn whether she gets a bill through or not. That woman is a waste of space (mind she isnt on her own) from the onset. It is at the end of all this bullshit just a contract. Would anyone terminate a rental agreement, and then start negotiations with the landlord for afterwards. No i dnot think so. So why all this crap. They should have had someone in from the beginning who had grown a huge pair and had a spinal cord, who had the guts to close the book and leave the table (2 years ago). Let the EU run after the UK and not the other way round.

2 Likes