Theresa May warns that "no-one will get everything they want" out of Brexit negotiations

That was how I read it too Peter. I am sure that David Cameron mentioned this on more than one occasion in the lead up to the vote, probably in an attempt to frighten the UK electorate to stay.

Whatever the final agreement is, I think true Brits should stand together and try to make the best out of what is thrown at us in the future. All this fighting between sides is just muddying the water and making us look stupid.

I have been here for 18 years and will accept whatever the final agreement, is good or bad for me personally, but still try to make the best of it.

What’s a true Brit and why should anyone stand together with those whose views and opinions they disagree with? I’d look and feel stupid if I had to give up on my beliefs to stand in line with others who share nothing more than the same nationality.

7 Likes

David. I feel that the worst side of people is coming to the fore as there is so much hostility and downright rudeness, (not necessarily on this site), shown to both leavers and remainers. I would just like to see a more united front when dealing with the major problems that have been identified. It is all a mess and no-one knows what the final outcome will be but can’t we be a bit more tolerant of the ‘other’ sides thinking and get on with the job so we can start to make something of Britain again.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said ‘true Brits’ but maybe referred to those that want the best for Britain even if it means backing down a bit on their demands and I refer to both sides.

I love my life here but I also feel a lot for Britain and its future.

1 Like

I would find it difficult to change my stance if it meant following people who were intent on taking Britain down a one way street to financial uncertainty. Why should I be expected to do so? If only it was just a case if getting on with other people because they share the same roots and language as myself. To me the prospect of a hard Brexit is so worrying that it will take a lot more than tolerance to pull together.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting you do that David. We are all entitled to our beliefs and opinions. What I am saddened by is the way in which one side is constantly trying to shout down the other side, it seems, just for the sake of doing so. Some of the comments in various media outlets are disgusting and mainly directed to the leavers although some of them give back as good as they get but in the end all it does is upset people and cause a lot of bad feeling which we could well do without.

It is right that both sides of the argument are heard and taken on board, after all eveyone has to live with the final outcome, whether in UK or mainland Europe.

The thing is, no-one really knows how the UK will fare after Brexit and although we should be aware of the financial as well as social pitfalls we should not be held back by squabbling and disruptive factions. Many predictions by expert analysts have been found to be untrue in the past so I can understand the sceptics viewpoint, Unfortunately, we are not going to get anything like utopia any more than if we stayed in. The EU seem to be incapable of the reform that is vital to keep it going.

I respect you have your views and commend you for being steadfast in your beliefs but not everyone thinks like you so we just have to hope that sense prevails and it all turns out in an acceptable way. No-one really wants a hard Brexit but something that works for the majority has to be the goal.

2 Likes

If somebody could shut the media up, we might get somewhere. There’s a certain rag that I never read but it ranks high on google so it’s hard not to see the headlines, and the gratuitous violence absolutely sickens me - Barnier SLAPPED DOWN, Brussels TRASHES, May SMASHES, Tusk MOCKS, no deal WILL HURT - I think they’ve even used the word WAR in the past. It’s hardly surprising feelings are getting whipped up.

5 Likes

It’s very naïve to think that the Brexit process can be gone through without disagreement, squabbling and disruption. There is absolutely no way that the British people can rely on a blitz mentality to come together and get through it together. It has become blindingly obvious that there is no simple solution and that whatever happens there will be factions who will be desperately disappointed. Bizarrely it looks most likely to be the hard core leavers who are going to feel hard done by.

2 Likes

you don’t vote for a prime minister, you vote for a party and they select their leader. If you voted Tory/UKIP alliance, this is what you voted for.

You are probably right David. Personally, I will live with whatever but I feel sorry for those that feel very strongly and will end up unhappy. Life is like that unfortunately, but one has to live with what cannot be changed. Let’s hope the end result will be not too bad. Be optimistic, it’s less upsetting.

1 Like

Not me…I’ve never voted Tory or UKIP nor liberal for that matter…last time I voted was for Blair and after Iraq I decided that I would be more discerning in future as I personally didn’t want the blood of innocent people on my hands…My Dad voted mostly labour…my mom liberal…When TM called the snap election one of my daughters in UK was agonising over her vote…Her dad (my ex) is staunch Tory…She’d ring me and spend hours talking about it…”Go with what your heart tells you…”I said…”who do you most resonate with…???” She voted for Jeremy Corbyn because in her eyes he seems a genuinely decent human being…more in touch with the poor and the disabled and the vulnerable…and said he’d be reluctant to push “the button”…her dad still doesn’t know to this day how she voted…x :slight_smile:

I have the height of respect for the NHS and the dedicated people working within it. My daughter was considering joining them but given the lies the odious, smirking Jeremy Hunt has come out with while shafting junior doctors I had some concerns. I bought her a couple of recent books by British junior doctors, Your Life in my Hands by Rachel Clarke and This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. After reading them I think she will choose a few years in Australia instead of being exploited by Hunt. The Tories are screwing the NHS into the ground and the US private sector are salivating to get their teeth into it.

1 Like

I’ve got no animosity towards either the leavers or the remainers…my animosity if it can be called that is towards years of austerity measures and the viscious cuts that targeted the already struggling and the most vulnerable…I doubt any Brexit discussion can leave out the plight of the NHS as so much revolves around it…nor our emergency services…seems like there is always a full house when voting for wage increases for mps but not a lot of genuinely compassionate interest otherwise to the point of them falling asleep…special measures to increase payment to the royals for Buckingham palace but no special measures for the homeless and the hidden homeless…the families in b&bs having lost their homes…The announcement by Osbourne two years late…”we got there in the end…a remarkable national effort…” Hold on a minute you smug heartless twat…say that to the evicted…say that to the desperate…say that to the suicidal…say that posthumously to those who died on the streets this winter and the winters before…say that to me and as non violent as I am I am likely to retaliate…I hear there’s a squabble going on now about Cornish pasties…trade deals and lobbyists and “made in America” Cornish pasties coming to a superstore near you shortly…DEFRA always preserving the rights of the Cornish pasty whilst making it illegal to feed table scraps to a few chooks in your back garden now sees it as a golden opportunity…DEFRA champion of puppy farmers and sanctioning horrific abuse of animals in abbatoirs…

I’m a very simple sort of chap, for me all UK newspapers, apart from the Guardian, are rags. I only occasionally read the odd (operative word) Mail and Telegraph article online when I need a laugh.

3 Likes

The daily fail…dacre’s dunces…couldn’t put a researched article together whilst they gotta hole in their collective posteriors…and the telegraph well I remember a friend hounded to hell by one of their reporters…took him many years to prove his innocence and get compensation for their smear campaign…

1 Like

I’ve got family in Australia…and New Zealand (via my ex…the father of my 3 kids)…positive movements in oz… https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2018/03/04/australian-anti-vaxxers-provide-new-model-for-the-world/

Antivaxxers + homeschooling network? No thanks.

2 Likes

Why is it that the NHS has only 26 hospital beds per 10,000 of the population when France for example has 60 beds per 10,000 of the population !! Lack of staff, lack of finances and failing targets. The incoming EU professional nurses, doctors numbers coming to the UK has fallen by 90% in the last 12 months !! The government is trying to speed up UK potential staff getting their qualification but to train a Doctor takes min 5 years and nurses 3 years. Shortening the training courses is not a good thing.

In part the UK has fewer beds per capita because modern medicine requires fewer bed-days for eg surgical procedures and because we are better at keeping those with chronic health conditions out of hospital - which is by and large a good thing because hospitals are really dire places for elderly frail individuals. Not only is there a high risk of picking up an infection but the food is awful so people end up poorly nourished, lack of activity atrophies muscles (not helped by the food either) and they loose confidence and hence independence.

In fact most developed nations are reducing hospital bed provision for the above reasons although the reduction in the UK has been much more marked than pretty much the rest of the world.

So, believe it or not although some of the things that you mention undoubtedly play a part it is actually policy.

Personally I suspect that we have gone too far - we’ve halved the number of beds in the last 30 years and were reducing numbers even before that, despite population increases. Our bed occupancy rates are way above the 85% considered safe and we haven’t made enough improvements in social and intermediate care to get people out of hospital and back into their own homes.

2 Likes

Hospitals are really dire places for the elderly…despite all the dedicated good intentions of the frontline doctors and nurses…As a family we are going through a difficult and distressing situation at the minute…with late stage Alzheimer’s… with the best will in the world even those of us trying to keep loved ones at home are inevitably gonna come across crisis points and contact with A&E and emergency admission to a ward and taking up a bed unexpectedly… this is a relatively local newspaper…It’s no doubt the same across the country… https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-operation-postponements-alarming-says-1305722

The situation in Australia has become draconian…to the point of medical kidnap…Having followed vaccine research for a long time and in admiration of France for being a leading part of that research I’m actually really surprised at the latest French guidelines to make vaccination mandatory…If vaccinations work as they are supposed to then in theory there is no threat whatsoever from an unvaccinated child coming in contact with a vaccinated child…