Theresa May warns that "no-one will get everything they want" out of Brexit negotiations

Yes, obviously. I am worried more for those of her friends whose parents are anti-vaxxers.

Does she have many friends who are anti-vaccine…??? Is it her peers or her parents…??? My one daughters experience so far of a vaccine free child is that he is the strongest…fights off childhood illness much quicker than his minimally vaccinated brother…In deciding not to vaccinate her biggest fear has been meningitis but she is moving past that now…She’s not saying that she will never vaccinate but reserving her rights to fully informed consent about what’s best for her little ones…She volunteers for a local domestic violence group and makes her views about natural medicines and homeopathy known… and is a shining star according to those who have had any dealings with her…x

1 Like

I was distracted when I wrote, correction now made. I have known that a few of my (5) children’s friends haven’t been vaccinated, they haven’t been particularly healthy or unhealthy apart from one who had all sorts of allergy type problems which is probably why they thought vaccination was not for them, and another who always had something wrong but I think that was just a way of getting parental approval because they were a family of hypochondriacs. And there may be others but the subject didn’t come up so I wouldn’t know😊

That claim probably isn’t true:

https://www.business2community.com/us-news/bill-gates-former-doctor-saying-billionaire-refused-vaccinate-children-fake-news-02009835

Helen, why do you think that vaccination is a flawed concept?

By the way, do you know why Roald Dahl was such a passionate advocate of vaccination?

And that claim probably isn’t true…x :slight_smile:

Much as I love roald Dahl I would rather conduct my own research into vaccines…x :slight_smile:

Well there is an “either he did or he did not” aspect to this

You haven’t actually said why you do not believe in vaccination, nor have you answered my question about Roald Dahl.

The point is that vaccination protects the individual - herd immunity is a side effect which helps protect those who do not respond or who cannot safely have the vaccine in the first place. The reason for mentioning Roald is that he lost his daughter Olivia to measles encephalitis - a thankfully rare but nasty complication of measles

The incidence of measles encephalitis is 4-11 per 100,000 measles cases, encephalitis is, as I said, nasty but there are other causes of fatality with measles. Now, in 1941 there were 409,715 notified cases of measles in the UK and 1,145 deaths.

26 years later in 1967 there were 460,407 cases and 99 deaths - we’d clearly got better at treating people (the fact there wasn’t a war probably helped) but it was still a very common disease with a distinct mortality rate. in 1968 the UK started measles vaccination.

Spin forward to 2015 and we have 1193 cases an 0 deaths - I’m pretty certain that no deaths have ever been attributed to measles vaccination and very little morbidity - vaccination works.

Looking at other illnesses we have eliminated smallpox and are on the verge of eliminating polio - as a result of vaccination.

I ask again - what do you have against vaccination?

http://www.roalddahl.com/roald-dahl/timeline/1960s/november-1962

2 Likes

Excellent post Paul. I’d very much like to know why Helen is anti-vaccination as well.

1 Like

I’ve noted that she is anti a lot of things.

Too many. One or two alternative ideas maybe but anti everything ‘official’…

I’ve stated with respect to Vero that I am agreeing to disagree and bowing out…vaccination is a contentious issue…we all have our personal reasons and personal experiences for feeling the way we do about it…x