They may be man's best friend but should dogs (or their feline friends) be allowed to sleep on the bed?

I had dog who was always in my bed before me. She slept on her back with front paws sticking out in front. I was in between OHs at the time so let her get away with it. When the time came when it was over she 'sulked'. In fact she came with us and is buried here, but blind, deaf and very stiff until the very end she tried to get back in my bed.

Since her, the rules is a strict NO! Anyway, with the ticks this year, gangs of fun eh?

Ha ha ha - superb.

At various times of the year both are good for holding down the duvet... so it's a selfish thing really - especially in winter. Hence the name of the 60's US band 'Three Dog Night'... obviously the founder didn't have a cat! Or maybe it just didn't scan!

My dog is a French rescue dog, not certain of the parentage, ( I think her Mother had a motorcycle) we have had her now for five years, she is part of our lives.

Unlike a lot of French dogs she is not left utside in all weathers, she is an "indoor" dog, and as such demnds the privileges she thinks due to her, I have a cover on my bed so's she can lay there with me when I am using my P.C. If I eat a snack, she expects a share, if I go into the garden , she is there with me, if we have to go out , her look of total despair at us leaving almost tempts me to take her with me.

She normally sleeps in living room, but if she gets a chance to get into my bedroom then shes there like a rocket, sprawling herself out and taking up half the space, if it gets cold and she is in my room then I I will get a cold nose on my shoulder stating she wants under the duvet-- ok -- she's my dog -- i am an old man, I love my dog so in she comes, what the heck harm can it do ---and anyway, she keeps my feet warm.

Thank you Sandy yes she is fine now sitting under the desk here waiting for me to do lunch!

She does know her place Valerie, but she is such a gorgeous dog, she loves everyone and everything so no problem at all. However, I have seen her (she is a lab cross) squashed in a cat basket while one of our cats stretched out in hers!

Thanks Fran - he's back to being bossy and thumping the puppy so think he's well on the mend.

Oh lord the poor thing's outnumbered!

I would say yes no problem, but as we have 8 cats and 1 dog I keep the bedroom door firmly shut!

I agree totally we had a Shit tzu for seventeen years she was the healthiest little dog ever until age became an issue..getting Bailey was like taking a newborn home from hospital and not having a clue what to do, mad really! I hope Binka makes a good speedy recovery.

Oh you're brilliant - thank you!

Oh lord I'll end up paranoid - Binka's still recovering from hepatitis because he ate something 'dodgy'. Almost 300 euros in vets bills. I think we just have to keep an eye on them. A little like children really, you can't watch them 24/7 and they're always up to something. We just need to be ready to play nurse when they get in trouble.

www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htmhttp://

This gives a list of plants poisonous for dogs.....

Yes you said it, and also Liliess are deadly for cats!

Well you've just taught me something new Fran because I didn't know they were poisonous either. Very happy to hear she's getting back to her old self. It's one of those 'live and learn' scenarios I guess - although we can do without them.

Much better Valerie Thank you. Back to eating normally and functioning normally too. It was very scarey they were cut hydrangeas because she mimics the cat she was able to get up at the kitchen table and grab a mouthful, I found the remains of the leaves and buds under the table. I had no idea they were poisonous. My son hit Google and there it was.....She is a Dashound Spaniel cross from the local shelter and is very intelligent but is very hard to house train she is six month old, totally adorable.

How's she doing now Fran?

'Hard' was the furthest thing from my mind when I read that Sandy - the stories of your small poodle and Rushka made me feel quite emotional. It reminded me of when one of my cats was dying of organ failure and I spent 2 nights sleeping on the floor with her - she had gone blind, become incontinent and refused to sleep on my bed so I went to her.

Sasha, the tal-cacca, has never been allowed on the furniture or the bed (except when terrified in a thunderstorm) simply to avoid any confusion if she's soaking wet or mud splattered. How could I then tell her no? She's very happy on her old duvet in my room or her basket downstairs.

I'm in the middle of re-training the new arrival at the moment. He seems to have been allowed up on everything in the past so I'm now leading him back to his basket 30 times a day. He's sneaky though - if I creep along the hallway I'll see him on my bed until he realises I'm there and panics. Such an idiot.

Entering in very late to the conversation but the feline sleeps with us in winter..its a cold house..in summer he is on the window ledge of our bedroom. The dog well she has never been allowed until last night she almost died yesterday from hydrangia poisoning so it was us in her bed or her in ours.

I love people like you.