They think it's all over, it is now!

Well there will still be the issue that if the S1 system is scrapped those whose income is over approx 10,000€ will have to pay 8% of everything above the threshold. Which is infuriating if you have paid all your working life in the expectation that healthcare will be covered in your retirement.

So no, having an ALD should mean that you don’t end up liable for extra high costs (thankfully, mine are horrendous!) but it doesn’t take away the core concern.

Having an ALD means that everything is paid for… in my experience. Perhaps your experience is different… :upside_down_face:

[quote=“JJones, post:62, topic:28266”] those
whose income is over approx 10,000€ will have to pay 8% of everything above the threshold.
[/quote]

If this applies to us (I am retired aged 81, my wife is 76) and our joint income is 30k over the threshold, we shall be required to pay cotisations of 2,400 per annum, or 200 per month?

That’s steep but manageable, because it has to be, if push comes to shove.

We both have S1 certificates and CVs, but have a top up mutuelle covering the fees involved in getting a hospital bed on admission, in the event of emergency admission. Or any admission, or so it appears.

Definitive information on this seems hard to find. Different information sources say different things. I’ve been told we don’t have to pay a sou if one of us breaks a leg, but without a top up mutuelle we’ve been asked to pay 50€ to reserve a bed in a 2-bed room for a minor operation.

Who knows what to expect…? :thinking::slightly_frowning_face:

Whoops! Missing negative!:astonished:.

(Although I have found that a few things that are a result of my ALD haven’t been registered as such and Ikve had to make the case - but this is the exception not the rule. Apart from the flu vaccine which drives me wild every year…)

Breaking a leg is an emergency, so is covered 100%. And some hospitals do charge for rooms that are of “higher” quality, as well as single rooms.

As far as I am aware pension income is exempt from the 8% levy for people covered through PUMA. It’s a subject that has been covered a lot on SFN and elsewhere online. A review of the system was carried out during the the past two years or so and the exemption for pension income remained, much to many people’s surprise.

:thinking: :rofl: not sure whether we are agreeing… or not… about ALD… I was saying that all treatments/hospital/whatever in connection with OH’s ALD come free of charge… yippee.

Therefore Roger Waldrum need have no worries about his treatments under ALD… in my opinion…

Mmm… although actually having an ALD is not that much fun… :zipper_mouth_face:

Death knell more like; you couldn’t make it up if you tried.

Makes these words rather apt.

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man’s death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne 1624

3 Likes

The sound of doom!

That does not mean that we have to become quiescent and pretend that we agree with it.

There is a need to keep the voice of an outward looking UK alive, it will turn around when they eventually realise what a mistake they have made.

The full effects of Brexit won’t be known for many years so why even stress about it, I’m more concerned about the change in the weather which is happening right now.

Maybe not, but when things start getting difficult in UK people won’t like it and I am sure that there will be recriminations.
Most people have short memories and will forget how keen they were on leaving.

I do not imagine the S1 will go anywhere. The reciprocal agreements between the EU countries allow the delivery of health care to UK citizens in EU countries and just as importantly, health care for EU citizens in the UK. None of the EU countries will leave their citizens (Retired) without health care in the UK

But I thought it was about to be “Done”

1 Like

Getting it ‘done’ is the easy bit, dealing with any negative effects will take time.

1 Like

by which do you mean there will be some positive effects??

1 Like

But I didn’t think there would be any negatives!

Then you’re not as bright as I thought you were. :grinning:

Not wrong there!

1 Like

Assuming that our politicians have the ability or desire to “deal” with the negative bits.

I would not stake anything that I valued on that assumption.