'This is Brexit' - family gets 30 days to leave France

Thanks Anna, we have a holiday home client who would be interested in this type of visa.

They would probably want to go for the 4 to 6 month one. Over 6 months and it gets more complicated because you’re regarded as an immigrant rather than a visitor and you have to go through basic immigration procedures and form filling.

" Visa de long séjour temporaire : valable 4 à 6 mois

Ce visa a une durĂ©e comprise entre 4 et 6 mois maximum. Il vaut autorisation temporaire de sĂ©journer en France. Il peut vous ĂȘtre dĂ©livrĂ© si vous venez en France :

• pour suivre un enseignement court,
  • ou pour exercer une activitĂ© artistique,
  • ou comme visiteur (vous devez pouvoir vivre de vos seules ressources).

Durant la validitĂ© de votre visa, vous ĂȘtes dispensĂ© de demander une carte de sĂ©jour en prĂ©fecture. À son expiration, vous devez regagner votre pays d’origine."

I wonder what the approach will be to people who want to take out a 4-6 month visa every year?

Presumably they’ll have to apply before leaving the UK.

I imagine so, as the idea of people being encouraged to turn up at calais with a bunch of paperwork is a bit unlikely. If there is a system for a <6 months visa then there’s no real reason why people shouldn 't get one every year, I just wonder if it would be questioned at all.

That’s not how you apply for a visa of any sort. You apply to the consulate in your home country in advance of your planned travel dates, and they examine every application. It’s not automatic. But as long as they’re happy that you don’t have a hidden agenda and you’re not going to try and stay in France once you’ve got there, I don’t see why it would be a problem getting one every year.

Emma’s story is in the Independent today

Emma says she did not know the Rules before applying
 I hoped she would put her dossier in order and reapply
 the article does not clarify this
 or have I missed something
 ??

I do not think it bodes well
 to go down the “I did not know, therefore it’s not my fault” route
:zipper_mouth_face:

Information is and always has been widely available
 IMO good idea for everyone to check and mentally “tick” the boxes which apply to them
 :thinking:
 who knows what the future holds
 :crazy_face:

1 Like

Who uproots their family and moves to another country without doing a bit of research into their obligations ?
Well, except for my now Brexit-voting 90 year old relatives who spent the 90s in an ex-pat bubble in Charente, living under the radar and never learning the Language until they were forced home by ill-health.

Oh my
 quite the reverse for us
 ill-health forced our hand
we came to France following our dream and the advice from our UK Doctor
 :hugs:

2 Likes

I was being tongue in cheek about turning up at Calais!

For the lifestyle or for the medical facilities ?

Healthwise 
 he knew we had a 2nd home here and for OH’s health situation he reckoned France was the better bet. He also reckoned that France would make OH’s last few years much more fun
 :hugs:

He was right on all counts
 :hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

Having read the write-up in the Independent as well as the original Connexion article, and seen the fb video, I don’t like her attitude and (speaking as a French person) I think she can go back to the UK and the sooner the better.

2 Likes

Reading the threads on this and other forums, I am staggered by the number of people who seem to have packed their bags, upstakes and moved to France without doing even basic research. When we moved 9 years ago, it was only after having read several books on the subject plus a few of the mildly helpful monthlies. We knew that as pensioners, we were not wealthy but provident enough to meet the necessary criteria. We understood the process of buying a house, insurance, driving licences, taxes, etc, etc. All our income bar a few hundred is paid into our french account and the total is ALWAYS declared.

Free movement means you can go to another EU country without either a visa or permission but that doesn’t mean you have a God-given right to live there. Thankfully France is a civilised country so, barring some neo-nazi becoming president, ex-pats are unlikely to be persecuted or kicked out. The UK and France are the only EU countries which do not require you to register 2 to 3 months after arrival. In hindsight this is probably a mistake. We have not yet applied for s CdS because a) the authorities are no longer issuing them and b) we are waiting for the new system to be up and running. It seems that even if you have a CdS, you will still have to go through a diluted application process; it seemed a little pointless to go through the process twice.

Now we wait to see what is to happen with Brexit. Given that the referendum was a whole three years ago, the chances of no Brexit seem to be climbing and I’ve got my fingers crossed. We do indeed live in interesting times 

2 Likes

It seems the family can stay after the British Embassy got involved.

A shame we can"t see the figures

Good news for them.
But I do wish the Connexion would just for once publish a 100% accurate article, why oh why does it print things without checking first. “If strict EU residency rules are applied, EU citizens living in another EU country for more than three months should be in full-time employment” it says, whereas in fact France states very clearly that it doesn’t have to be full-time:

" Le ressortissant communautaire salariĂ© peut prouver son activitĂ© grĂące Ă  une dĂ©claration d’engagement ou d’emploi d’un employeur.
La circulaire du 10 septembre 2011 prĂ©cise que l’activitĂ© peut ĂȘtre exercĂ©e Ă  temps partiel. Doivent en revanche ĂȘtre exclues les « activitĂ©s tellement rĂ©duites qu’elles se prĂ©sentent comme purement marginales et accessoires"

http://www.info-droits-etrangers.org/sejourner-en-france/les-statuts-particuliers/les-ressortissants-europeens-et-les-membres-de-leur-famille/

2 Likes

As the letter offered them the opportunity to make contact and discuss
 I am left wondering why they did not do so
 but, instead, made a very public fuss and hoooh haaaah
 :roll_eyes:

If they told the truth they would not sell any newspapers.

1 Like