Thunberg, anyone?

My thoughts exactly Paul.
It’s also classic ‘ad hominem’ isn’t it? (Can’t refute the young people’s arguments? - attack them personally instead).

3 Likes

It wisnae me, a big boy did it and ran away, eh :laughing:

If someone quotes something without making it clear it isn’t their opinion, it can be assumed it is their opinion. I mean, that’s rather the point of quotation, isn’t it.

5 Likes

As Véro says it was impossible to tell.

There are tools to help differentiate your own thoughts from those of others.

One is that you can post a link, rather than cutting and pasting large amounts of text (which then might look like it is something you are saying):
https://www.indy100.com/article/baby-boomer-climate-change-crisis-students-selfish-9116941

You just have to paste the URL and the forum software will (if it can) find a picture to use as a thumbnail and pull back the opening text.

If you’d rather have the link inline follow this link there are a couple of ways - one is to use a little bit of html - start with <a, then a space then href=“url-goes-here-in-quotes” then a > then the text you want people to click on, then </a>

URL shortners are handy to make URLs easier to handle - eg to get the link above I could have added

<a href=“https://bit.ly/2lQqdWJ”>follow this link</a>

Another feature is the ability to quote a block of text, so, for example you might highlight a section:

You can do this using the quote function in the editor:

Or by manually adding [quote] and [/quote] around the text - like this
[quote]
Here is the bit I want to quote
[/quote]

Which gives

Finally good use of vertical whitespace helps the reader, a block of text with no paragraphs or no space between paragraphs is hard to read. Had you put a blank line between your “here’s the article” and the text of the article it might have been easier to spot.

Hope that helps everyone :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Presumably that was all designed to be helpful so I guess I must thank you but your help was unnecessary…for me, anyway. Was it a tad patronising too? Perhaps.
But I completely disagree with “…it was impossible to tell”.

My comment began: This is the article to which I referred:
“To all the school kids going on ‘strike’ for Climate Change: etc etc. Please note the inverted commas (which are in plain sight) denoting the beginning of the article.

My comment ended with … there may be a time in the future that you will be the ones left out…”. Please note the inverted commas (which are in plain sight) denoting the end of the article.

Still "…impossible to tell?!

1 Like

Reply was addressed to the wrong person; should have been to Paul Flinders, not to Marijke Hansen.

OK, perhaps not impossible but very difficult to spot your tiny intro because there was no space delineating your comment from the quoted text - it just looked like you wanted to make those comments.

I’m just generally fed up with poor quality posting, attribution, honesty and logic from posters around the 'net at the moment - not particularly your posts and generally SF is not too bad but it is definitely starting to get under my skin.

If it’s any consolation I understood your post for what it was, seemed very clear to me.

4 Likes

Thank you, Poppy; and thank you for taking the time to comment.

I tend to agree with you; I’m a spelling, grammar and punctuation pedant which does not mean I don’t make mistakes myself. I find in social media that all three are prevalent in the negative. I do agree with you to an extent about my post but, to be frank, I was sufficiently cheesed off and, having better things to do with my time, I did rush the comment.
Enjoy your Sunday.

1 Like

Nanny state.

Please see my reply to Paul Flinders. Nothing should “be assumed”, especially when the article was enclosed by apostrophes.
And please see Poppy’s comment. It was clear enough for some.

In 2016, it was reported that the UK’s new plastic bag tax had decreased the use of plastic bags by up to 85%.

Remember we are talking about the environment in this thread. Take a look at the tweet below for just one of the consequences of rampant plastic consumption.

So yes until people grow up and start acting responsibly I say bring on the nanny state.

4 Likes

I do my mom’s Tesco shopping from here every week for her…Tesco have stopped the use of plastics bags for all deliveries ordered online…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If the nanny state approach works, I agree.

2 Likes

[quote=“rolyat, post:93, topic:27452”]
And please see Poppy’s comment. It was clear enough for some.

I have absolutely no problem in acknowledging my intellectual shortcomings, I am not particularly clever.

I still think you posted something both specious and fairly offensive, particularly the bit about immigration, and that you are weaselling out of responsibility for posting it by saying you were quoting, etc which strikes me as intellectually dishonest. And that instead of dealing with content you are going for the ad feminam argument with the little swipe above.

I’m still wondering where you live, surrounded by these spoilt, stupid children you know personally, all with television in their bedrooms and air-conditioned classrooms etc. Not that it matters really since I doubt they exist.

Inverted commas, surely.

Not a syntax pedant then :grin: I shouldn’t dare to assume you meant something along the lines of “brillent par leur absence”.

Think as you will; that’s your prerogative. Again you make assumptions. To repeat; I was quoting someone else and gave no indication as to whether or not I agreed with the content. Someone else commented about the content being on TV so I copied what I’d read, mainly for her benefit.
There’s something quite nasty and personal sneaking into your comments to me which I find interesting. As a member of the “Team”, I would have thought that should be below you. So I think it’s time for me to leave this rather sad and unhappy environment. The benefits of being part of it are far outweighed by the negativity and snippiness (surely it must be a word; if not, it should be).

1 Like

Not personal at all. I just think you aren’t used to being disagreed with :smiley: I don’t think this is “a rather sad and unhappy environment” but obviously if that is how you perceive it, what can I say.

I’m not, as I said, very clever, but I seem to remember something about motes and beams in eyes…

1 Like

Most classrooms in the UK name have large computer displays and central heating systems including cooling. To say it doesn’t, clearly suggests how out of touch you are.

Computer whiteboards - apparently this is 2019 not 1919 so I’m not sure what your objection is - unless you’d like everyone to go back to chalkboards.

Heating, certainly - A/C, in the majority of UK schools, you’re having a larf, I presume.

1 Like

Please amend your name to your full REAL name as per our Terms and Conditions before posting again. Thanks.