Thunberg Mark II (Gobbledygook free zone please)

Geoff, where did i say they inconvenienced me, i didnt. They blockaded London and are set to do it again causing congestion, extremly high levels of pollution etc etc, Exactly that what they are claiming to campaign against. Did you see the pair of ER muppets on the sophie ridge show yesterday, feebly explaining and justifying their actions. They put a worse show of excuses and argumentations than D’Abbott ever could do, and that is saying something.

That’s the problem with not using the second person singular in English, isn’t it? - I meant ‘you’ generally, not ‘you’ personally.
I, personally, though, admire Extinction Rebellion - and Diane Abbot.

3 Likes

Miss Abbot may not always get her figures right, but she’s not a rabid lying piece of shit, like the present UK leadership

5 Likes

@Rocam thinks “It’s all humbug”

Distinct voice, robust opinions. Keep 'em coming. Funny personal icon. Welcome to our new(ish) or returning member! :grinning:

1 Like

Friends of Science, ref. The Matroniser vid, “funded by Fossil Fuel companies”. According to wiki and other links.

Friends of Science (FoS) is a non-profit advocacy organization based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The organization rejects the established scientific conclusion that humans are largely responsible for the currently observed global warming. Rather, they propose that “the Sun is the main direct and indirect driver of climate change,” not human activity. They argued against the Kyoto Protocol.[1] The society was founded in 2002 and launched its website in October of that year.[2][3] They are largely funded by the fossil fuel industry.[4][5]

3 Likes

Yes, I`ve been very lucky and providing uber fresh shellfish for our French customers has been a total pleasure, I cannot imagine a more appreciative clientele than the French.

Correct, her message might be abrasive to some but she is right, I`m sure of that.

7 Likes

Really excellent article in The Guardian today, reflecting on the revelation that just 20 fossil fuel companies have produced 35% of the carbon dioxide and methane released by human activities since 1965 - and they knew all along they were changing the climate

2 Likes

The Guardian has now created a score-card for MPs’ voting record on climate/ecological breakdown, and the extent to which each is funded by polluting industry.

Boris Johnson obtained the worst possible voting record score of ZERO, and is also one of the MPs receiving most funds from polluting industry.

Conservative MPs averaged 17%

Jo Swinson scored 50%

Liberal Democrats averaged 51%

Labour averaged 86%

Jeremy Corbyn scored 92%

2 Likes

Bravo again, @Geof_Cox! :+1::fist:

1 Like

Thanks for this heads-up @ChrisK. You do us proud.

:exclamation: Gobbledegook Alert :exclamation:

I need to have a word in the ears of my four free-ranging hens, who contribute massively to insect apocalypse. Can’t peck enough of the little blighters, at it dawn to dusk. A real dilemma! :thinking::slightly_frowning_face:

As with so many things at the present time we will only finally realise what damage we have done when it s too late to fix it.

Reminds me of Joni Mitchell…
*They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. *
… Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone …
She was singing that 50 years ago!
We’ve noticed the splatometer for many, many years. Used to drive down to the West Country in the 60s and the car windscreen would be covered in insects. Been decades since that was the case.

Mind you, Rachel Carson wrote Silent Spring in the first years of the 60s - and still hardly anyone’s listening.

2 Likes

Brian Moore on Twitter made me laugh:

A simple twat detection device for you - say the words Greta Thunberg and see the reaction.

It is a very simple Twatometer that I shall use from now onwards!

4 Likes

In the eyes of many French people he [Pablo Servigne] has taken on the status of a guru, not unlike Greta Thunberg internationally.

Fascinating article full of insights into France, for example:

French thinktank the Jean Jaurès Foundation found that only Italy beat France for pessimism about the future… 65% of French people agreed with the statement that “civilisation as we know it will collapse in the years to come”.

I wouldn’t say collapse, but certainly will dramatically change - as it already is. Many of us today would never have dreamed of the world we live in now. I was reviewing some of my old Seminars and Courses delivered just 15 years ago, and noted the dramatic differences in ‘communication’ channels and technology that has occurred over even that short span of years.

Much of it such as Social Media which theoretically should have been a good thing in removing message control through media. Patently we haven’t yet learned how to live with it yet. Could that cause the collapse of human life? I doubt it, but certainly how we view each other is already changing and NOT for the better. Populism could easily lead to the destruction even worse than that of the two World Wars. The weapons and people like Trump are a frightening vision of a new world order.

I can foresee the demise of the now almost redolent and ineffective United Nations, and yes, sadly the European Union. I foresee much of what was covered in ‘1984’ and think it is almost inevitable, but hopefully not in my lifetime - say ten years? I view a New Asia as being the most dominant thing to appear, with China and Russia linking up in many ways, with China expanding to swallow up most of Asia on the one side and a resurgent Russia retaking former Soviet Satellites back again as most of these could be swallowed in a matter of days.

Africa and even the Middle East could be ripe for Russian expansion in conjunction with China. China has already embarked on a popular economic takeover of Africa. America is fast becoming a broken reed and is already seen as an unreliable ally, with NATO being a dangerous loose cannon (literally) seeking a militaristic role as was originally intended. Russia won’t allow that to continue when the USA departs. NB many of the former Soviet States are Muslim, which would affect the ME directly.

Collapse no, - change inevitable.

Where that will ultimately take the human race is still unknown, and I suppose there could be a case for ‘grow up or die’
Interesting times ahead.

2 Likes