To profile picture or not to profile picture

But lots of people on SFN meet up in the 'real' world Ron. So they'd look pretty daft if they used other people's photos!

People can post a picture of anyone, sure, but when we join a common interest group on a virtual basis there is a certain leap of faith that the people you are interacting with are genuine. There will always be a few who aren't but that's no different to life in the real world either. This isn't a dating site, but it's still human nature for people to want to 'put a face to a name'.

What’s the real point? You can post a photo of anyone; it does not mean it is the actual member. Now if this was a dating site, yes a clear, accurate photo is necessary. But, it is not. Another issue is privacy. Your photo is now part of the “data base” which is accessible to anyone. Go ahead Google your name and I bet your SFN photo with your name and details will appear. Mine did.

Why Irene, what are you frightened of ?

And just realised that I don't have a photo so added one :)

I run a viryual community for my job, and we insist on profile piccies. When working in a virtual environment, we've found that having profile piccies definitely increases engagement.

I'm glad this discussion has come back round.

I understand the principle of needing a profile picture. The problem is that the privacy settings on this site aren't up to scratch.

I try to keep my internet life pretty anonymous unless you know one of my friends on Facebook it's very difficult to find my, but having a common name helps. `

Whenever I google search my name the ONLY photo of me that comes up is the one on this site, & clicking on it give you direct access to my page the discussions I've been on & whatever replies I've written

This is one of the reasons that I'm a passive user of this site now.

Doesn't bother me at all Carl, I think it helps make the forum less 'formal'.

Other forums i'm a member of allow pseudonyms and avatar & the like though I feel more 'detached' without the familiarity - difficult to explain actually !

Basically, why not post a photo if you have nothing to hide, where's the problem ? I would make photos compulsory if I were J & C cos' at the very least it makes me feel more comfortable when I can see who i'm insulting (or even agreeing with sometimes !).

Hi Valerie, Yay it is!

Yay, hi Shirley!!

:slight_smile: Thank you very much for instructions and link Catherine - I owe you!

I shouldn't think for a moment that Teresa was addressing you personally Shirley. I certainly read it as something directed at black squares in general.

pS Teresa …Not Catherine- Valerie…

Teresa, try looking at Catherines and my replies above. I’ve already said in other posts don’t know ho to use this iPad for getting a photo on here.

I have been asking for help, needing precise instructions for. Opting and pasting, especially as when on my photo on the iPad I see nowhere to let me copy it to then paste here!

What I don’t want or need is your sarcasm, thank you!

and lovely it is Bruce...

put up a picture... if you can't do it ask for help...

if it's because you can't be bothered how can you expect people to interact with you, help you, give you free advice?

x t

Bruce, Is that a moustache and long thin beard or a telephone and it’s curly cable? :slight_smile:

Thanks Catherine, I’m trying …honest guv…(I know, don’t say it…) I’ll get there. even took a new pic of me this afternoon then looked at my page here, but don’t see the profile bit and how to add photo again.

And you look truly superb, Bruce. That's my sort of humour.

I got someone to take mine on the loo, just to make sure nobody forgets me!