To test or not to test?

But according to Hancock - that’s what is causing the problems at testing centres. People with no symptoms booking or arriving for tests. Seems one hand doesn’t know what the other one is doing- but that’s not new is it ?

The “problem” is not with the people wanting to get tested, the “problem” is with the inadequacy of the testing facilities.
Ideally, everyone should be tested, precisely because many are asymptomatic and they are the ones cheerfully going round saying “I’m fine” and giving it to the rest of their family and friends.

2 Likes

The area I am referring to is one of the highest in the country for Covid cases so things are somewhat different

I completely agree Sue. As always - they put the cart before the horse.

My vision for the future of healthcare …
First thing in the morning, before breakfast, take a tiny blood sample, pop it into the neat little living blood analysis machine connected to your computer. (May need spit, wee and poop as well to be absolutely sure.) Within seconds, results on your computer as to your state of health, the strength of your immune system what supplements / vitamins/ trace minerals (if any) you need for the day, recommendations for nutrition / exercise etc.
We need to move to a world where the emphasis is on being fit and well. By the time we are “sick” it is too late. It means we are always on the back foot.
I find it fascinating that some of those who are “long tail” COVID sufferers are among the (seemingly) young fit - running 5km 3 x a week and so on. Yet now, months on, they are showing many of the symptoms of ME. It would have been wonderful to know what really was going on in their bodies before they became ill and to what extent they were already compromised, even although their self-image was one of fitness.
I’m certain that we will reach this place of wellness eventually. There is some amazing work being done round the world on health / well-being and nutrition / stress/ exercise /etc, especially in the world of cancer. We just need to have it go mainstream and COVID could just be that catalyst.

2 Likes

That would be so cool!

2 Likes

Have you got your results? I ended up with a very bad cough and sore throat a couple off weeks ago and was tested. I got the all clear within 24 hours and whatever I had has burned itself out over the last week. Whatever happens don’t panic. My eighty two year old MIL caught it and bounced back, as did her similarly aged widowed sister and a brother-in-law. All bounced back. On a zoom call yesterday with my daughter and one of her pals who was just finishing isolation having tested positive. She looked fine. Sounds like Christine got a bad thwack but that doesn’t mean you (or you kiddies) will :crossed_fingers:t2:

That Bojo’s vision too. Millions of tests a day taking no longer than a pregnancy test (Bojo’s seen a fair number of positives in that area). He says it’ll cost £100B and the code name is “Operation Moonshot”. They’ve spent £500M on it so far (Hancock says) so if they cancel defence spending for the next three years they might have the cash to pay for it. In the meantime, it seems the experts think it’s rubbish

Don’t mention pregnancy tests near Johnson - let alone paternity tests!

Yes, I posted Friday night, they were negative - 9 hour wait on results, very good I thought :grin:.

They’ve gone straight for the big money shot there in terms of spaffing large amounts of public money in the general direction of Dom’s mates.

I mean no messing around with a billion here and a billion there - £100bn is pretty much the whole NHS budget.

I suspect the chances of scrutiny and transparency will be close to zero - one wonders of the funnelling of vast quantities of money to their mates was the plan all along.

Here’s their playbook… everything Bojo does is World beating.

Fortuitously, as they’re in London they’ll have no problem laundering it.

That’s good news and an excellent turn around.

Why go for a test to boost the stats… if you’re ill, stay home and sweat it out… if you’re really unwell call for assistance… if you were to prove positive, they will tell you to hide until it passes… so cut out the middle man and their search for statistics and take a few dolli’s and all being well, it will be gone in a few days… good luck

That is a bit facile. If you have children then not that easy as need to determine whether to send them to school or not. And there are many people who have jobs that put them in contact with many others including fragile people. Would you recommend that the care home worker that looks after your granny, for example, doesn’t bother to get tested?

2 Likes

Have the past few months totally floated past you unnoticed ? Or are you another armchair expert?

1 Like

I believe Bob may have been living under a stone since March!

2 Likes

This is a ridiculous position unless you are retired and can stay home and not see anyone for 2 weeks then you do as you like. For the rest of us this is not the way forward and also doesn’t help public health understand the spread and be able to better prepare.

As others have said, I have children in schools, students that I teach, elderly neighbours etc. It isn’t about me it is about protecting those around me from me if I had been positive.

6 Likes

if they travel 100 miles for a test and wait a month for results and they wont test without symptoms any way?? …
they’re either ill or didn’t have it in the first place??
And if they were to prove positive… what is the answer?
there is no cure, no ones going to get hydroxy or dextrameth unless on their death bed
just told to go and sit it out?
however, you might be a statistic to be bandied about for some mad computer algorithm to predict we’re all going to die some time?

i like my stone… it’s cosy here
if you were to prove positive…
what is their response?
go isolate
wasn’t that the message from the start?
if you think you have symptoms… isolate
now you go and prove either way because they want numbers
and isolate anyway if positive
the numbers are apparently increasing, but the hospital admissions are still very low
the more they look, the more they find?
back under my rock