To Troll or Not to Troll.. that is the question

One source describes a Troll…

“an ugly cave-dwelling creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf”

and from another source: A Troll is…

Someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Whilst I am unable to tell if a forum member is the first (I like to think you are all beautiful people… :relaxed: )

If you fall under the second category… I, for one, would not want to waste my time with you on our Forum.

However, I throw the topic open…how would you describe a Troll ??

The real question is should SFN allow its members to describe other posters as trolls? The normal convention is to not allow it.

Absolutely yes - Trolls can be incredibly hurtful and damaging in any environment - but online they are completely toxic and need to be stopped in their tracks. I say call them out for what they are - asap! They won’t mind anyway - they just move on. In any case - we are lucky enough to live in a democracy (of sorts!! :slight_smile: ) - free speech and all that. If I choose to describe someone as a troll I’m simply expressing how I feel. Not a crime.

3 Likes

So am I a troll because I think differently to many of you?

think forbes sums it up quite well as this is SNF members houses in house is whats needed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jessicahagy/2016/07/21/how-to-defeat-trolls/#2c9c49c2236e

1 Like

LOL - Barbara not at all! I often feel just like that but - I love being ‘different’ :slight_smile:

Not at all Barbara, you’re just ‘special’.:wink:

1 Like

one of my favourite stp for tea is also good

So do I …and I am happy to recall my past and share my ideas on here.
But I am not a royalist …which seems to be a problem for many people.
I also believe that some of the suffering in the world could avoided but
it needs to be assisted by those who have the means.
Some times questions appear to be provoking…that goes for me and many of you
too.

“special” Tim…define please.

It’s a term my mother always used to describe me to other people.

1 Like

Ah but that was from a loving situation to describe a special relationship.

One of the best (in a corny and amusing way) foreign language films of recent years ‘Troll Hunters’ a must watch.

As for nasty hurtful trolls in t’interweb, they are abhorant.

2 Likes

great film.

2 Likes

Looking back, I’m not sure that’s what she meant.

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em :fearful::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::rofl: :hugs::heart_eyes:

To Troll or not to troll.
I always thought a troll was incognito, or maybe I am wrong, after Stella’s definition: an ugly cave_dwelling creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf.:
As much as I try i cant see any SF member who is at all like a troll.
PS: Many thanks to you Stella you are brilliant you come up with new interesting subjects , Merci and again thyank you.

Sorry i did not answer the question, how do you find a troll
Cannot find a decent answer.

@Carol_Lokocki

watch this… and look around you (carefully)… :relaxed: just when you think you are safe… oooh …eeer… the Troll appears…

Trolls are easy to spot, they give themselves away by their attitude. Most come from other sites to stir things up, ignore them and they’ll go away.

2 Likes