Too Old To Drive?

A few years ago a collision like this would not have received this amount of attention .I am not saying the police would not have investigated ,they would, there would have probably have been a small mention in the press and on TV of a minor accident involving PP .Someone or both would have got points,a fine etc Today it is all played out on social media. The disadvantage is that all the armchair detectives come out in force the advantage is the powers that be will have to be scrupulously fair in their dealings
These days with mobile phones, social media etc one of the big issues the police have is getting to the family of the victim of an incident (especially if it is local) before they find out by other means

2 Likes

Absolutelyā€¦

but what is noticeable by its absenceā€¦ is discussion about the other carā€¦its driver, its passengersā€¦

Not that I want a discussionā€¦ but PP has been subjected to an indepth attack without a shred of proof to support itā€¦ and I find that objectionableā€¦

as objectionable as I would if folk were ā€œverbally flayingā€ the folk in the other carā€¦

2 Likes

Is not of some significance, Stella, that we donā€™t seem to have had news of what the occupants of the other car have said about the accident?

Or if they have commented, where are their reports available?

I have nothing against Philip, but I sense another establishment cover-up, and not by any means the first such.

The absence of discussion, that I am notingā€¦ is the absence here, on the forumā€¦ I am not talking about in the Press.

So many, here, seemed to leap on the fact of PPā€™s ageā€¦ no-one mulled over what might or might not have been going on in the other carā€¦ with two women and one small infantā€¦ and that, I find to be most unfair.

However, done and dustedā€¦ letā€™s wait for the outcome of the investigation.

One good thing thoughā€¦ it appears that the road will be getting the lower speed limit that the Council have been seeking for many years, due to fatalities and accidents.

Now, it is reported in the Press that perhaps due to the high profile of this latest accidentā€¦ the necessary restrictions will go up without more delay.

And, I hasten to addā€¦ that in no-way implies anyone was speeding on this occasionā€¦ just one more accident added to an already bulging folderā€¦

I questioned what might have been going on in the other car seven hours ago. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Davidā€¦ my comment is in reply to Peter. You certainly did give it due thought. Thank youā€¦

Apologies Stella i had not read the later comment by David and your further reply.

1 Like

Hi Matā€¦ I hope we can all wait for the outcome to be made publicā€¦ then, whatever will beā€¦ so be itā€¦

In this instance I donā€™t know how detailed an investigation will be carried out, if it involved anyone else there would not be a particularly vigorous investigation as thankfully there were no fatalities (in the event of a fatality a very thorough investigation would be performed).

As this crash involved Prince Philip I donā€™t know whether there will actually be a more or less thorough investigation. I am sure people will have an opinion on this (but it is only an opinion).

The police have already said they will carry out a full investigationā€¦ and the Press and everyone else is watching closelyā€¦so I would expect this to be a very thorough investigation.

People involved in an accident are warned not to say anything for fear of prejudicing a future court case , insurance claim etc. I would not expect the other party to make any comment whatsoever at this stage

1 Like

Thatā€™s something I had overlooked. Thanks for throwing light on it Nellie.

Iā€™m sure they will find a ā€˜good day to bury bad newsā€™

My niece was in a similar accident last October. She was driving on a major road with her 6 year old daughter. A young driver pulled out, she admitted to the police that she hadnā€™t looked properly. My nieceā€™s car was written off.
No one was seriously injured thank goodness.
Although the police attended and the girl admitted fault , she was not charged with any traffic offence, she did not get points on her license. And nor did my niece want her to.
So for all the ridiculous comments about establishment cover up perhaps the police are treating this incident for what it was - an accident. They happen to all of us occasionally.

2 Likes

If itā€™s normal to allow cars to pull out into a priority road without care no order some people believe that the 80kmh limit is a good thing. Personally I believe that anybody who sits behind a steering has a responsibility for the safety of other road users and that means concentration, being aware of what is happening around you. Perhaps I spent too long in Germany where the concept of an accident doesnā€™t exist, the blame is always attributed to one party. Some accidents shouldnā€™t happen.

2 Likes

Nail on head Teresa - well said! The ā€˜establishment cover upā€™ comment was particularly, but unsurprisingly nuts - in my opinion of course! :wink:

In UK it was changed from RTA (Road Traffic Accident) to RTC (Road Traffic Crash) in the late 90s.

3 Likes

Certainly not the accident caused by an elderly driver not looking where he was going when he reversed into my parents.
My mother suffered terribly, many weeks in hospital and worse, and still is many years later, my father died a few months after the accident.
Sorry I cannot go into it all still makes me angry that all our lives were shattered and the driver wasnā€™t even prosecuted owing to his age, oh and the fact that he was a well known member of the local conservative club and a mason to boot !

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming Ann that your parents were pedestrians. If so that is totally different. Pedestrians are much more vulnerable and drivers have a duty to be aware of them at all times, the pedestrians are also less likely to be on a fast road.
If Iā€™m wrong and they were in a car then the driver must have been reversing rather fast.
Either way it is bad for you and your parents. Some accidents have tragic consequences.

Technically it is collision, but the principal is the same someone is to blame. In an accident thatā€™s not the case

2 Likes