Too Old To Drive?

I think that as one gets older one loses the ‘it won’t happen to me’ I used regularly (as an undergraduate) to walk into things, cross the road without looking and be saved from whizzing traffic in extremis, because often I had my nose in a book or was busy talking. I am a bit more sensible now and can probably date the change to producing a number of hostages to fortune in the shape of my daughters who are much too like me for my peace of mind.

5 Likes

As a mother, Véronique, perhaps the focus of your attention has broadened from more-or-less unaware self-absorption to wider concern for the welfare of others. But for some that process can take a long time; and in some cases like in Trump’s it never starts.

Prince Philip has been seen driving without a seat belt on a public road after his accident.
This is the height of arrogance and stupidity.
It seems he has had a strict talking to from Norfolk Police.
Even HM it seems cannot control him.

2 Likes

Market day in out town is an eye opener. Folk unsteady on their feet, tottering along with sticks and then they get into their car and drive !

The problem here is there is no public transport so outlying folks have to drive in, but driving behind them is a nighmare!

We all lose some of our faculties as we get older but reaction times in the case of an accident involving older people are almost zero.

My partner’s car was a write off owing to an accident some years ago, an elderly chap leaving a garage pulled straight out in front of him. The chap couldn’t even turn his head both ways, now that really is too much !!

I agree, foolhardy behaviour in anyone… no seatbelt… daft IMO… but…

50 years ago, my friend Linda died… trapped in her car, with her seat belt firmly holding her in place… she could not get it undone… She was a careful driver, who slid gently on some black ice… and ended up at the bottom of the dyke which ran parallel to the road… she drowned.

We, her friends were in shock, she was a careful driver… us youngsters deemed ourselves to be indestructible… and suddenly this… :zipper_mouth_face: It was my first personal experience of “tragedy”.

Investigations were thorough and the seatbelt was deemed to be the culprit.

I clearly remember her father, his grief and his anger… From then on he refused to wear a seatbelt… no matter what.

If PP did leave his seatbelt undone… it might be due to the fact he has experienced what it is like to be trapped in a car… :thinking:

(not an excuse, but perhaps an explanation…)

What do I know, an occupant of the other car involved has sold her story to the papers -

She’s also said that she wants PP prosecuted if it’s proved he’s at fault.

With regard to him driving without a seat belt, there’s an appropriate phrase -

‘there’s no fool like an old fool’

Well I suppose if she was being badgered by reporters offering wads of money why not ?

@Stella That was an argument used a millennium ago by the anti-seatbelt brigade.
The real fact is the number of lives saved by the use of seatbelts in all forms of travel.
There are some exceptions in law - quite rightly - but being a Prince of the Realm is not one of them!
Pure unadulterated arrogance.

1 Like

Graham… I was most clear… I did not intend this to be seen as an argument pro PP !

Linda’s death happened… a true story from my teenage years …nothing fabricated… you had to be there, to be involved, to have any chance of understanding Linda’s Dad… he lost his 19 year old daughter… a lovely, laughing, gentle soul…

Us youngsters, somewhat apprehensive, we continued on the straight and narrow… buckled up… and hoped for the best… but it was a very, very difficult time for all of us.

Anyone who has not experienced this sort of trauma… quite possibly cannot fathom what follows… and that goes for so many tragedies in our lives… :zipper_mouth_face:

A few years ago a colleagues car was hit on a supermarket car park by an elderly man reversing his car out of a space who hadn’t seen her. There was quite a bit of damage to her car but no one was injured and the car was drivable. She had just got the insurance sorted but not received the money, when the headlines in the local paper were of an elderly male driver who had been killed pulling out in front of another car. Guess who

I’m beginning to wonder if Prince Philip has begun to develop a death wish. I’m not mocking him here I’m quite serious.

He is in a very frail state now, and must realise that his days are numbered and short. He has done his duty to his Queen loyally and lovingly for so many decades, and despite his privileges, for an adventurous and rebellious man, it may have seemed like a kind of entombment, the life of an eagle in a gilded cage.

Is it possible that this is his final expression of a bid for freedom that no-one and nothing is going to thwart? At whatever cost, he may believe he’s earned it. To be honest, there’s a part of me that whispers “Go on, Philip, spread your wings and soar upwards, you have nothing to lose now!”

1 Like

PP has always been a bit of an a**e but his decades of ‘duty’ have let him off any real criticism, this week’s accident and seemingly blatant arrogance of ignoring the driving laws show that he his now uncontrollable and it’s time to take away his licence so he can’t do any real harm.

I was in a crash and ended up on the edge of Shap Fell.
This was before seat belts and my ribs were saved by the double blue fox fur on my coat.
I could get out, but would have probably be hampered if I was wearing a seat belt.
It is safer to wear obe, but there are those occasions where freedom of movement is more important.
I am sorry about your friend.

I imagine taking away his licence would make not a jot of difference to his driving behaviour. Ref my recent comment on his present state of mind as I imagine it, he no longer cares about anything and wishes to be free - of it all, while he still has capacity.

Thank you Jane… I was just 16 and it made a huge impression on me…laughing with someone one day… then another day and they are dead… :zipper_mouth_face:

Not all cars had belts, but my Dad insisted that, despite the tragedy… if a car had belts fitted, I must use one. Linda’s Dad… made his own choice (which was not illegal in those days).

Sorry to hear of your accident, glad it turned out OK… :hugs:

A great distraction from Brexit.

2 Likes

Two boys we went to school on the bus to our respective grammar schools in Lancaster both died in motorbike accidents aged seventeen.

so sad… so young…

Suggestions on C4News that the Duke has surrendered his licence…

Right outcome, it’ll be interesting to see what the police do now.