Top spec Android smartphone for a knockdown price - so good I bought three

If you’re in the market for a new Android smartphone, I highly recommend this one.

Xiaomi is the Apple brand equivalent of Asia. The difference being it runs on Android (the most popular smartphone software from Google) and they are much cheaper than similar tech in the west.

Use this link to pick one up from eGlobalCentral for around €110 with free delivery, takes a couple of weeks.

We now have three of theses in the household and everyone is very happy with them.

Xiaomi Redmi 4 X 32GB SIM unlocked Android phone

1 Like

Looks almost identical to my blooboo x5 which is 3y old and the battery is now failing to last a whole day. James has this model a replaceable battery?

No, battery is good though, lasts for much longer than Catharine’s iPhone 6 did when it was new

Thanks James, then likely it is the same model all bar the different name. Been good, stacks of storage for apps files and photos. Which version of android is it running?

Nougat 7.1.2

This phone was released in May 2017

pity its micro usb im after a usb c

1 Like

Yeah but for that price you can’t have everything! This is a seriously impressive phone!

looks the biz. I have a working Samsung alas the new camera i received is USB C…

Have a converter now but it does not work at all well as its chin products and no one else makes them as they dont down grade well. kind of like playing a 3ds game on a previous ds (no idea if it would work but it is just an example.)

1 Like

Thanks James, similar spec to my bluboo Xtouch but with a bigger battery which is all the better and a slightly poorer screen but great value. I found a revue. Certainly will be looking now my battery is failing.

If the phone is still viable why not change the battery?
the original post says rupture en stock.
Any other suggestions?

I paid the princely sum of £34 for my HomTom smartphone. Only because I wanted to see what everyone is banging on about. So far I have tried about 50 or so “apps” and 95% are total rubbish. The phone will do very little my old home built PC will do so I’m glad I didn’t take out a mortgage to buy an Iphone.

Which apps?!!!

I’m not sure that I understand your logic.

I wonder if Rocker meant to say “The phone will do very little my old home built PC won’t do…”

1 Like

But how does that relate to what an iPhone will do?

I presume his logic is he dipped a toe into this smartphone thing by buying a very cheap Android phone, didn’t think any apps he tried were any good (he’s broadly right on that score) and he can do everything he needs on his PC - so he is glad that he didn’t buy a really expensive smartphone such as an iPhone.

I guess his PC doesn’t fit into his pocket though :slight_smile:

To be fair despite being fairly tech-savvy I do not have very many apps on my phone either. But then being fairly tech-savvy I do not trust much that I do not have direct control over where the internet is concerned.

Give that man a cigar! That is exactly what I was trying to express, using fewer words. :slightly_smiling_face:

As cheap smartphones are useless I’m so glad I’ve got an iPhone. It’s actually my second, the previous one lasted eight years before I decided to upgrade to 4G so I really found it excellent value. Perhaps you would like me to write a road test about a Rolls Royce because I did once drive a mini and they’re both cars after all so they must be the same.
I’ve actually the brushed the cobwebs off my laptop today for the first time in literally years as I can now carry out 99% of the tasks I do on my tablet. Today I needed a USB port so laptop it was. What an awful bit of kit, I really can’t imagine how I put up with it’s clunky ways for so long!

I have an iphone4 David and I find everything too small and it’s very slow. Also the battery life is so short. Presumably this was all improved in later versions. Which one do you have?

I wouldn’t give a cup of cold … for an Iphone or any other expensive smartphone. I only have a portable to carry in case of emergency while we’re out, and that’s not very often. It is never switched on at home because there is no signal available here. I have no need for a phone that streams music and plays it through a speaker the size of a grain of rice, or a camera with a lense the size of a contact, or to watch a movie on a screen the size of a fag packet. I wouldn’t attempt to try to do anything useful in writing without a keyboard and certainly wouldn’t do any banking or transmitting my credit card data via a phone. In my view they are just another ostentatious fashion accessory waiting to be lost, stolen, or broken.