Top spec Android smartphone for a knockdown price - so good I bought three

I had a 4 before but it started slowing down although I didn’t ever have problems with the battery life. It’s now got a Tesco’s SIM in it for when I need to receive SMS messages from my UK bank. I replaced it with an SE which is great.

You are allowed to make your own choices but please stop telling other peop,e how useless their phones are when you actually have no experience of or interest in them. I won’t attempt to list the advantages because you obviously live in another world.

3 Likes

Mine was a gift from my Mum when she upgraded and I’m very grateful to have it at all. I find it most useful during those long waits at the Doctors or insurance companies etc. I have a very basic Leclerc pay as you go package for 3.50€ a month which is perfect for me as I use it so little out of the house.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t agree - I find my phone very useful indeed - it is the piece of technology that I use more than any other.

Nowadays a capable phone is expensive £500+, personally I have a good android phone as I find it more flexible than an iPhone - there is now little difference between them. Years ago the iPhone were better but I think it is now slightly the other way (Android better battery life, screen resolution, expandable storage and camera performance - but poor on slow updates & Apple customer service is better).

3 Likes

£500+? I paid less than that for both my iPhones added together. These days many of the Apps on iPhones and android phones do exactly the same thing but as my main computing, internet browsing and general do-it-all gadget is an iPad I couldn’t do without the way that information is shared between the two devices. A good example of this is in notes where when I write an ongoing shopping list on my iPad during the week as and when I think of items that complete list magically appears on my iPhone when I’m in the shop.

1 Like

I work on both ipad, android and PCs without issue - MobisleNotes is very good for lists on all platforms (both my wife and I add to the shopping/to do lists from iphone/ipad & android seemlesly).

There are so many cloud provisions that can work on all android, IOS and Windows PC that the same/better convenience can be simply achieved - for contacts, diary, photos, messaging.

It is now very easy to jump between all platforms and share information between them automatically - no longer are they mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Neuf ou occasion?

I never spend more than £100 on my smart phones, this current one has a big battery that lasts 2 days on normal use, 3gb ram, 64 storage twin rear cameras and I Bluetooth the music to another amplified speaker. Very useful apps fore my working day, runs office apps and a plethora of others so that makes me qualified to comment unlike others.

1 Like

Isn’t everybody free to comment?

2 Likes

Absolutely, but I personally think that comments stemming from some knowledge of the subject in question tend to make for more interesting reading…

2 Likes

Both new. My 4 was cheap because I was offered it at a discount because I was a already a t-mobile.de customer and I bought it outright and continued paying for my SIM as before. When I changed it for my SE I looked around but the best offer was from my French provider. I paid just over €300 for it. Apple products seem to be becoming more affordable. Earlier this year I drowned my three year old iPad Air and replaced it with an iPad 10,7, a much better tablet, the new one, with the same memory was significantly cheaper than I’d paid for the old one.

I prefer to do it this way also, buy the phone outright and pay for sim only - it seems simple this way.

1 Like

Yup agree!

Anyone had any experience of a Cubot smartphone?. I’ve got an old iphone5 that I was given a few years ago, but never really got on that well with the iOS system and these Cubot ones look reasonable at less than 100.

Just beware of buying a very cheap phone, they are cheap for a reason. Just be very careful to check the specification, processor, ram etc to make sure it is relatively modern otherwise you may later realise you have wasted that money as it may have been worthwhile spending a bit more)

If I were buying a new phone now I would buy one of these

Link

£338 for a very good phone indeed - not cheap but a very good phone (last years flagship). The company Toby Deals seems to get good reviews - they are overseas (Hong Kong?) so there could be warranty issues if ever needed, but as I said good reviews of the supplier.

1 Like

Yes Mark, bearing in mind it’s not just a manufacturer but they can get lucky and produce an absolute blinder. Take my previous BluBoo, rated the best phone of 2016 and a bargain.
O/H is using a Cubot at the moment and just changing to an Oukitel. Who had heard of Huawei two years ago? Now they are taking the top spot with their P20.
My Cubot was very good but I changed as a more suitable phone came along. Only spending £100 or less allows me to upgrade as I need and the later versions of Android are less power hungry and faster.

1 Like

Sorry, but I couldn’t pay that much for a mobile phone no matter how good it is. It’s nearly a months worth of beer :grin::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::wink:

1 Like

Thanks John, might try the Cubot.

Is there a black Friday day soon?

Some reviewers don’t like the screen.

That’s the trouble with phones though - every one is flawed in a different way. Budget phones always have some compromise, somewhere and flagship kit is always too expensive. I’ve been looking for t’ missus and so far have struggled to find something “just right”.

Currently I’m sticking with my Moto G4 Plus which I’ve had for a shade over 2 years. I don’t feel a pressing need to upgrade this phone, especially as it cost a bit more than I would have preferred to spend on a phone at the time - £338 is over twice what I consider reasonable. The main limitation is that it lacks a compass - which hobbles functionality that I would like to be present.

I have a feeling I might have to re-think my budget for the next upgrade.

The Cubot X18 Plus looks interesting in parts but it hasn’t got a compass either (which I’ve decided is on the must have list1).

1] In case you are wondering why the answer is navigation on foot. Without a compass the phone doesn't know which way it is pointing, which can make it impossible to know which direction to set off in - this caught us out badly in Naples when we wound up walking the wrong way for nearly 2 miles and it has caught me out in other cities as well. Oh, and the Google sky map app doesn't work without it.