Top spec Android smartphone for a knockdown price - so good I bought three

Phones have gone up dramatically in the last couple of years, latest Google Pixel & Samsung S9 are £739, iPhone XS is £999. These are for flagship phones but it was only a couple of years ago that such phones were £400 to £500.

Are certain people now willing to pay more for a phone?

@anon88169868 - I was looking at the V30+ which may or may not have the same screen issues - but as you say all phones seem to have a slight glitch (my current Galaxy S8 has the glitch of Samsung Android, I would much rather have the uncluttered Google version of android).

When using my phone as a Sat nav you can tell immediately if you are walking in the right direction or not. It also has a compass. Looking at the prices quoted it seems good value too.

My phone’s do not have a specific compass, they have a GPS chip and once calibrated works with compass aps and skymap which can also use the mobile network?

What phone do you have at the moment - I think you mentioned a bluboo Xtouch but also that you had upgraded it.

Google sky map “works” without a compass but is not as good. GPS alone can tell where the phone is, but not which direction it is pointing, if you are moving it can guess the vector that you are on but a proper compass makes life a lot easier.

:relaxed::relaxed: I have several compasses (of the old-fashioned variety)… if a fellow forumite wishes to borrow one… :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Hi Paul, new phone is a Oukitel K3.
Obviously before posting I downloaded a compass app and tested it. All works as it should and in the past I have not had any problems on other phones. I have also used on previous phones TV satellite apps to align aerials.

Yes, that has a hardware compass.

The 6000mAh battery must weigh a ton though - how long do you get between charges?

Then so must have my previous phones, BluBoo X5? And Cubot …I forget.
It’s a little heavier but not too bad. Two days easy without a charge.

X5 - not sure as I can’t find a full description of the spec - there’s one on gsmchoice but it does not list whether or not there was a compass.

The Xtouch which you mentioned previously did not have a hardware compass.

Hmmm, two days of heavy use, gaming, watching videos or two days of light use?

I can get to the end of the 2nd day with the G4 Plus relatively easily and that only has a 3000 mAh battery - so 2 days out of a phone with a battery twice the size with a very similar CPU suggests that the power management is not that great, which is sometimes where budget phones are much less in reality than on paper.

If you are happy with the phone - and it sounds as though you are - I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

I have several traditional compasses but the most impressive one is useless as the previous owner of my boat used its mounting bolts to fit a fire extinguisher on a mild steel bracket on the other side of the bulkhead. It reads about 30 degrees out. If I ever needed a traditional compass I do have a lovely little hand bearing one that does the job.

1 Like

:relaxed::relaxed: most are from my days as Akela… (15 years of fun)

but my favourite is a small one enclosed in an ebony casing… which belonged to my Dad… it is less than 2 inches in diameter and often in my handbag if we are on “old-car” trips. I can read a map, but sometimes I do need to know my North from my South… :wink:

A related question is, How do people display their satnav screen? I always look at my screen in the traditional North up format so I can make decisions based on the compass direction I’m travelling in, I know many other people who can only use them when they show the direction of travel.

Always landscape in the direction of travel for me.

I can understand you having North orientated based upon your nautical activities.

(whilst on Satnav - I have recently downloaded TomTom to my phone as a replacement of my old TomTom device and I have to say it is superb - free for 80km per month or £5 per month unlimited or £15 per year unlimited. This includes unlimited worldwide maps - previously to update the map on my old TomTom device was £40. It is also way way better to use than Google Maps)

1 Like

Depends - in the car usually showing the direction of travel, on foot north at the top.

Exactly, very difficult to say as I go on line with YouTube, video etc. Originally on standby it would do 5 days with just phone calls.
Previous phone was just about a day with my similar use pattern

i am on my second xiaomi phone - a 5x and its great.

About 100 pounds and very quick, battery life good and I use google for all my contacts/calendar etc so its all available on line elsewhere if the phone gets lost.

1 Like

Xiaomi sounds like a Chinese made phone. Hmm… maybe Chinese quality as well? I hope not!! I would buy this just to see if it’s really true if my current phone dies on me.

I thought that most phones are now made in China.

2 Likes